Dingle B&B

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dingle B&B

Help! Leaving for Ireland next week, and have had a change in plans. We now plan to spend two days in Dingle the town. Any good recommendations for a B&B for around 30-35 euros?
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Check out the Marina Lodge, which is on the main road facing the harbor. We arrived in Dingle without reservations, planning to stay two nights, and the Dingle accommodation finding office found this for us. We were actually able to rent one of the apartments for two nights for 35 euro per person sharing, and it was quite comfortable and included laundry facilities (check under the sink for detergent before you buy any). It was also quiet, not being directly over or next to a pub, but very easy walking distance from all the amenities of town. I believe their regular room rates were 30 euro pps, and they offer a wonderful porridge for breakfast made with Baileys (in addition to the usual Irish fry). We have no ties to this facility--just satisfied customers.

http://www.dinglemarinalodge.com/
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Check out The Shores - my personal favorite!
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 03:15 PM

I believe adamsparks was asking for a B&B near Dingle town. I agree with gorilla that the Shores is wonderful but it is on the north shore of the Dingle Peninsula, no where near town. In Dingle itself I would recommend either Dunlavin House or Tower View. Both are within your budget and an easy walk into town.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 03:51 PM

I have seen great reviews for Emlagh Lodge. The Lighthouse looks nice, Milestone House gets good reviews, and we are booked in Cill Bhreac for two nights. (edhodge does not recommend them but I just read a favorable review here.) Heaton's is well-loved by many but higher priced. When will you be in Dingle? We'll be there the 14th an 15th.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:10 PM

We enjoyed Wildflower Cottage, which has an apartment (35 euros per person, the B&B is only 2 years old) including breakfast, laundry facilities and an outdoor patio overlooking the harbor and mountains. It is in a row of B&Bs right next to Dingle harbor on the main road, a 2-3 min. walk to the pubs and town. Marianne and Tom were so friendly and helpful.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:04 PM

I agree with allisonm that Emlagh Lodge is nice. I did not stay there because they only have rooms with double beds and I require a room with either two beds or a queen or king. The rooms were medium to small. The Lighthouse is okay. Milestone is for sale (or could have sold since I was there several months ago). There is also a new B&B called Fiuise (Eileen Carroll, phone: 066 9152850) also very nice. Heaton's costs more than 30-35 but is wonderful with great breakfasts. The Heatons son is building a guesthouse right next door (might be finished by now). No shortage of good B&Bs in Dingle nowadays.

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

allisonm we are going to be there Oct. 11 and 12. We'll be passing each other!
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 09:06 AM

we stayed in the Emlagh Lodge and absolutely loved it-Maggie is wonderful and its a perfect location-right on the Bay with Beautiful views and only about 5 min walk into town-you don't here any of the weekend night noise! Rooms very comfortable and clean
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

irish eyes, just an FYI. Emlagh Lodge now does have one twin bedroom.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 08:17 PM

adamsparks, Thanks for the heads up on Emlagh Lodge. B&Bs are ever evolving. It is good to know that they now have what I need. I stopped by Emlagh Lodge a couple of years ago when they just had doubles. I may just have to stay there next time I'm in Dingle. Lovely location!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone tell me if Emlagh Lodge has a seating area---like a glassed in sunporch or some such space. I am going with a group of people (6) to Dingle and I am in love with Emlagh. But some others of the group are asking for a sunroom like can be had Cil Bhreac. Can you tell me how Emlagh and Cil Bhreac compare to one another? Ahhhh I love groups. . . .
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:08 AM

I was at Emlagh Lodge this past beginning of June-Whlie there was no"sun room" there is a breakfast room -with windows that is always open plenty of chairs and reading materials. I also know that maggie was opening a family cottage on her grounds-for a larger party-it was opening the weekend after we left-you may just want to email her to find out your questions-she will return your email. maybe you can work a deal and all 6 of you can stay in the cottage
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

In dealing with maggie via e-mail I was most unimpressed with her lack of hospitality.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:21 PM

We were not impressed with Cil Bhreach but liked Duinin House last year. They have a very nice conservatory with lovely hosts, great breakfast and even take vouchers (so am sure that they are in your price range). They are located on Conor Pass Rd. which a lot of people walk to town. We didn't do it but then again, I probably couldn't have walked a straight line on my way back so a dark road with big ditches on both sides would not have been a good choice for me.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:45 PM

We passed by Emlagh Lodge in May. It appeared to be right behind a water/sewage treatment facility. To any one who has stayed there, did you notice any ill effect from it? (ie smell or noise?)
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
this morning, I watched Rudy Maxa in Western Irland. Dingle looks lovely, the whole area we thought very beautiful.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:05 AM

When we were there (Emlagh Lodge)in early June we were shocked to find a sewage treatment plant nearby on our last day. It did not smell at all or noisy-It really doesn't even look like a plant-well conceled.We were walking and my husband went up to read the small sign-thats haw we discovered it!
To adamspark: Sorry to hear you haven't found Maggie to be hospitable over email-She was lovely in person-we thought.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 11:43 AM

We returned three days ago. Whatever you do, consider Out of the Blue restaurant. One of the best! Hope you have better weather than we did: fog and limited visibility, but we enjoyed it, regardless.
Have a great visit!
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

we leave in two days and are totally excited. this website has been an unbelieveable asset. i plan to give a post-trip update and info on b&b's when we get back---if i come back!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -