Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy Itinerary Help! First 3 Days in Venice!

Apr 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Hello Fodorites! After reading many posts and researching many books - I think I am close to figuring out my itinerary for our first trip to Italy ever! We are going to Venice, Florence and Rome!

Here is the first part - The Venice Agenda!

Arrive on Wednesday March 25th, 2009!

Wednesday -
1) Arrive, take a private water taxi to the hotel to save time.
2) Take the Grand Canal Boat Tour - 1 hour tour
3) Then wander around and find some where to have dinner.

Thursday -
1) St. Mark’s Square
2) St. Mark’s Basilica
3) Doge’s Palace
4) Campanile
5) Dinner & Wine Bar

Friday -
1) Accademia
2) Rialto Bridge and Market
3) Frari Church
4) Scuola San Rocco

ROMANTIC EVENING
Wine & café at St. Mark’s Square: Caffe Florian or Caffe Quadri; Dueling orchestra’s; Gondola ride after 8:00 p.m

Thank you for any feedback and advice! 8-)

Apr 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM

hi cwojo,

well it's not like me to say that you're not doing enough, but you are going to find that you have lots of free time!

first of all, what time do you arrive and where are you staying?

secondly, have you thought about buying a vaporetto pass - you can get them for 3 days, I think, and they can save you a lot of money.

thirdly, there is no need to do a "grand canal boat tour" - just get on a no 1 vaporetto, which will take you up and down the grand canal to your heart's content.

ignoring Day 1 ti lwe know more,

here's my suggestions for DAys 2 & 3:

Day 2 - if you want to go into the basilica, you have two choices - attend a service, or queue up. [you can't book before april]. so your idea to get there early is agood one. but you will only get 10-15 minutes inside as they usher you throguh pretty quickly. the museum etc. might take another 45 minutes at most.

then there is the Doge's palace. if you book for the Secret Itineraries' tour, that will take you 90 monutes, then say another hour exploring the rest of the palace by yourselves - you are now ready for a late lunch.

after lunch, rather than go up the campanile, get the boat over to san georgio and go up its campanile - far fewer people, it's cheaper, and teh view is just as good.

then get the boat over to the zattere, have a drink in the sunshine and walk round to the accademia. [again, book on line].

finally get a boat back to your accommodation for a rest before supper.

Day 3 - you need to get to the rialto market early if you're going at all so make it your first stop.

then walk round to the Frari and san rocco. if the weather's nice, then take the boat over to Burano for late/lunch or tea. otherwise, you could try the ca d'oro and a walk through cannaregio for a different view of Venice.

I haven't quite finished my trip report about our recent week in Venice, but if you click on my name, and search for Venice, you should find it easily enough.

have a great trip,

regards, ann

Apr 21st, 2008, 07:14 AM

I agree with Ann - lots of good recommendations there. We really enjoyed going to the top of the campanile on San Giorgio and the pictures are great!

I found that when my husband and I were in Venice some of the things we planned to do ended up getting scrapped because we were having too much fun just wandering around and soaking it all in. Don't beat yourself up if you end up not sticking to your plans! Sometimes the best memories are those you didn't plan for.

I recommend getting up before sunrise and taking a vaporetto to St. Mark's. Watching the city come to life as the sun comes up is beautiful.

Enjoy!
Apr 21st, 2008, 08:29 AM

bookmarking
Apr 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM

The best thing about your itinerary (11 months prior to your trip!) is that you have built in lots of wandering-around time, which is the best way to experience Venice.

Re San Marco, in my experience, you don't have to be shuffled through the basilica if you don't want to. I LOVE the mosaics covering every inch of the walls and ceiling of the basilica, and it amazing me the number of people who don't look up! You can easily step aside to let the crowds (many tour groups) pass; there are also some seats, near the front as I recall, where you can sit and admire the mosaics further. Also the museum (it's above the entrance area of the basilica) is a great place to visit because (i) you can see the mosaics from closer up) and (ii) the balcony gives you great views over the Piazza.

On buying a vaporetto pass. On our several trips to Venice, we've never bought one, simply because we enjoy walking through the city so much. Though at least one trip down the Grand Canal on the vaporetto is a wonderful experience.
Apr 21st, 2008, 02:35 PM

cwojo-quite simply, to go to Venice and NOT go to Ca' Rezzonico, to see its magnficent interiors, to see how the Venetians lived in the 1700's the beautiful Tiepolo frescoed ceilings, the priceless Venetian masters artwork, Tiepolo, Bellini, Canaletto, and then the gardens, plus there is a lovely little coffee bar after you're finished. Ca' Rezzonico is as much a must-see in Venice as the Palazzo Ducale, because, where the Palazzo Ducale shows you La Serenissima's administrative and judicial center in all of its 15-16th century glory, Ca' Rezzonico shows you the actual living space of these grand Venetian families in their palazzi along the Grand Canal, and who doesn't want to see the inside of a Grand Canal palazzo? It's fascinating-I think I spent 3 hours there, maybe more. It is a must-see, and obviously very easy to reach, you just get off at Ca Rezzonico vaporetto stop, and the palazzo is right there.
Apr 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM

I was going to post about going to Ca Rezzonico but girlspytravel has said it all. It's wonderful!!
Apr 25th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Excellent advice! i will adjust so I can make sure i see what each of you recommended.

I haven't booked my arrival flight just yet. I am using award miles and United has a limit on how far out one can book!

We are using hotel award points and staying at the Molino Stucky Hilton.

8-)