Best Location on Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to get my hotel. I hear the Oia area has stunning views but is it a little far from everything? Where is the best part of the island to stay? Are rental cars readily available to get your around the island or don't you need one?
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM

For you what sort of environment constitutes the "best part," close proximity to youth-oriented nightlife or isolation, classic architecture or beachfront, view vs. convenience, or something else?

Rental cars are everywhere and the island has an excellent bus system. Finding parking for a car can be a real challenge in July and August.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Let's see - I want to be able to get to a nice beach, night life isn't all that important, historical sites are important. How large is the island - could you drive around the whole island in x amount of hours? If that's the case then it really doesn't matter - if I did get a car.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 03:45 PM

The beaches are on the east side of the island. Be advised that Santorini's beaches are not of the typical white-sand variety but are either red or black rocks, pebbles or grit and get very hot in the summer months. The water is still wonderful but the shoreline disappoints a lot of people. The best swimming on the island is not at one of the beaches but off the large rocks below Oia (the most beautiful village) at the end of the seawall that begins on the wharf at Amoudi. You can drive down there or take the steps.

The villages overlooking the caldera are on the west side. If you want a central location stay in Fira or Firostefani so you have easy-walking access to the island's bus hub. The bus system is excellent.

If you have a car you can drive from one end of the island to the other in about an hour.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:20 PM

We stayed in Oia last summer - it was just a beautiful little town - unlike any other place we have been. I would not focus too much on beaches, the island, the amazing architecture, food and general ambiance of the island, are the captivating features. Oia is amazing.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to the both of you for taking the time to respond. I had narrowed my stay down to Oia and Firostefani - now I just have to save a few more pennies and do it right!