Search

First evening in Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First evening in Venice?

Hello!

We arrive mid Oct in Venice by train around 4 pm - staying in Cannaregio area. We have another 2 full days and a half day the morning we leave by train at 11:30.

I was looking for suggestions for the first evening. I was hoping we could walk some of the neighborhoods, maybe take a boat ride or gondola at sunset (think it is around 6pm that time of year.) Will it be too late to climb the Campanile or visit the Basiica? Or are those best saved for our second day when I have the Doge's Palace Tour booked for 9:55 am?

Also could anyone recommend an area/district of Venice - assuming we wanted to walk for a few hours or take a gondola ride. After we would like to have dinner off the tourist track (hopefully not too stuffy or terribly expensive, 50 - 75 Euro for 2). Maybe we should stay in the Cannaregio area the first night to explore but I would love to take advantage of Florence at night after the day trippers leave. I assume Cannaregio is less crowded in the day so maybe we should save those places for daytime when the most tourists are in Venice.

Thank you! Any suggestions much appreciated.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 08:33 AM

Save the basilica for midday (11:30-12:30) when the lights are turned on to have the best views of the beautiful mosaics.

I suggest you just hit the streets and begin walking where your heart leads you—perhaps wander toward Castello all the way past the Arsenale to the rivas along the lagoon and Grand Canal. Return along the rivas to Piazza San Marco, then meander your way back to your hotel and find someplace in the neighborhood to eat. If the basilica is open when you pass, sure, go in. But do try to return when the lights are on at midday.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 08:39 AM

I agree with ellenem. (Hi E!) She has defined a wonderful walk.

The beauty of Venice is just that...walk. You will always find something wonderful, intriguing. And, inevitably, you will find your way back to the canal and/or a vaporetto stop.

If you are going to ride the vaporetto regularly for your time there, buy the 72-hour pass. Best value for the money.

I stay in Cannaregio when I go. If you are staying at a hotel, ask the staff for a restaurant recommendation.. of the non-tourist type.

Buon viaggio!
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never taken a gondola trip yet [in 5 visits to Venice] but the night-time view along the grand canal from the Rialto bridge is magical.

when you get there, go for a wander, perhaps jump on a vaporetto [with 2/12 days, a vapotetto pass would be a good idea, IMHO], see where your feet take you.

I agree that you should try and see the Basilica when the lights are on; you can book a slot for this too. Re the Campanile, the one on the isola di san giorgio gives just as good a view and has far fewer people trying to climb it. to get there you can get a vaporetto from san marco or from the fondamente zattere - another good reason for having a vaporetto pass.

with a 9.55am time slot for the doge's Palace, you could go to the rialto market [which ideally you need to visit as early as possible as particularly the fish goes early] beforehand.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM

Where do you make the reservations for a time slot when the lights are on? Is there a website that you can do this on? How far in advance do you need to do it?

Thanks
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 02:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
information about opening times etc. is on the www.basilicasanmarco.it website.

that in turn directs you here:

http://www.venetoinside.com/en/saint_mark_s_basilica/

click on the "individual travel" button and there you are.
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 03:54 AM

Bookmarking for our trip in October also
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the helpful replies! Can't wait for October!
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 07:54 AM

I'll be there in October also, lots of good suggestions here!
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 08:43 AM

I agree that your first evening can be spent wandering and taking in the magic of Venice. The grand canal, lit up at night, is breathtaking.
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the info annhig.
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 04:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Restaurants..Vini di Giglio, Da Alberto, Ancie Stellato..in or ear Canareggio.
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Let me share my words of wisdom...if you can call it that. I spent hours and hours and hours and hours planning our three week trip to Italy. All I did was obsess about what we should do each and every day. It was an addiction. While I had a great time, I feel I almost suffered from post-trip depression since I no longer had my daily "vacation planning" fix.

Now, back to your question...

I am not saying that this is going to happen to you. But trying to get advice for your very first night it a city so romantic and classically beautiful is a waste of your time. (And I mean this in a nice way) Italy will lead you. Just relax and take it all in. The best day I had in Venice was when my husband and I got lost and ate lunch at this terrible restaurant that served a sunny side up egg on top of a pizza...it was disgusting, my worst meal in Italy by a mile. But also one of my favorite memories.

Have fun!
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 04:59 AM

But the planning is so much fun!!!!