Last minute itinerary questions-Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2023, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always, your advice has been very helpful to the planning process. I am finalizing our itinerary details for our trip to Italy (leaving next week), and have just a few last minute questions that I hope the experts can help with.

We (me, DH, DS-11, DS-9, and DD-4 turning 5 while there) are doing quite a lot of moving around this trip, starting in Milan, taking the train to Venice for 2 nights, and then the train to Rome for 6 nights, with a day trip to Florence from Rome. MOST things are booked, but I'm stuck on a few details.

​​​​​​1-Is it necessary to prebook tickets to the Doge's Palace? As of now, it seems pretty open for the date I'm looking at, and it would be nice to have a little flexibility to explore if possible.

​​2-We are taking a day trip to Florence from Rome. Our train tickets are booked, and we'll arrive in Florence around 11 AM, and depart a little before 8 PM. I am going to book tickets to the Accademia, but I think we'll probably have to miss the Uffizi this trip as I'm fairly certain my kids are going to be hitting museum fatigue at that point (second to last day, and we're at the Vatican the day prior). Besides the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio, what else should we squeeze into our quick day?

3-I'm a little stuck with what to do on our final day in Rome. We are going to cover many of the major sites in our first few days, including Campo di Fiore, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Villa Borghese (probably not going to visit the gallery this trip), Pantheon, Colosseum and Forum, and Vatican City.

Part of me thinks we should just leave it open, and see if there is anything specific that we would like to revisit, but, especially at the end of trip, I would like to have productive last day. Our airport transport is scheduled for 5AM the next morning, so it can't be a very late night.

A couple of ideas I've had are the Capitoline Museums (but again with the museum overload?), Baths of Diocletian, or even heading out to the Appia Antica.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Last edited by Danielle811; Feb 9th, 2023 at 10:18 AM.
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 12:06 PM

If it is not too late, why not just stop for the day in Florence on the way from Venice to Rome? You could stash luggage at the train station. It would be so easy rather than another round trip to Florence from Rome.

On the last day, what about a day trip to Orvieto?
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 03:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With only a few precious hours in Florence, I don't know that the Accademia would be my priority, esp. with small children and if the main point is to view David. I'd view the David in Piazza Signoria.
Yes, it's a copy, but that detail would be lost on your kids. And if the Uffizi is off the list (understandable) but you want a Renaissance art element in the day, I'd make a fairly quick visit to the Bargello. Then, one of the open-air markets. Rub the boar's nose and find a souvenir at Mercato Porcellino. If it's raining, the indoor Mercato Centrale (near the San Lorenzo outdoor market) has a food court on the second level. Your oldest child might recognize some of the names of people entombed/honored at the Basilica Santa Croce. If you wander near Piazza della Repubblica, there is a carousel your daughter would enjoy. The square was historically a meeting space for artists and writers and it remains a popular gathering place. Caffee Gilli on the piazza is the oldest in Florence... since the 1730s. The nearby Caffe Paszkowski opened about 100 years later.

Your kids might enjoy the Castello Sant'Angelo in Rome. There's a lot to see, but you can pass lightly by things of marginal interest to your kids (papal apartment, library, etc.) and focus on the fortress/castle stuff that kids enjoy. Drawbridge, strong boxes to hold money and papers, weapons, etc., and just stroll around to look at the defenses. On the roof, there are piles of marble "cannonballs" and catapults to hurl them at invaders. Also on the roof, there's a small cafe (at least there was in pre-Covid times) for a short rest. Wonderful views of the city.

Last edited by Jean; Feb 9th, 2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 05:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would add a day to Venice if possible. Your kids are going to love it there!
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 09:50 PM

On your last day in Rome, you could walk up the hill behind Trastevere for amazing views over Rome and you can try to spot all the places you've visited in your time there. A nice re-cap of your visit. Check out the mosaics at Santa Maria Trastevere beforehand and gelato (or a wine) afterwards?

I agree that the idea of stopping in Florence enroute to Rome would have worked better but if you've got your tickets then just go with that. The good thing about doing it the way you've already organised is that you can return to Rome late in the day, knowing where you're heading. When you arrive in Florence, you could head to the central food market (a very short walk from the train station SMN) for an early lunch or brunch. The kids could perhaps spend their last euros at the nearby market (although, at the risk of being sexist, I think that market appeals more to girls than boys but they may also find something they like). Then wander down through the town to the Ponte Vecchio and the river. I agree that one of the smaller galleries would be better than the Uffizi. Possibly better for them would be to climb the Duomo campanile (for the fun of it and for the views over town).

Florence can be very busy so I suggest the kids have your phone number available in case you get separated - even more applicable in Venice where you can turn your back and lose someone. In Venice, get the kids to spot all the lions (symbol of Venice) - they are everywhere.

Last edited by dreamon; Feb 9th, 2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 05:14 AM

Rome for the kids - Domus Aurea, if you have a day when tours are offered, as I think they are only on weekends. There is a cool virtual reality segment. Centrale Montemartini, an art gallery in an old power generation facility. Via Appia, as mentioned. Ostia Antica, seaside and Pompei-style ruins.

if you have already booked the Vatican tickets, oh well. The younger child will probably see only grownups’ legs. But St Peter’s Basilica and the Swiss guards are much more entertaining.

A day trip to Tivoli for the Villa d’Este and its dozens of fountains might appeal. On a nice day, wandering and picnicking in the grounds of Hadrian’s Villa is also fun.
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 06:19 AM

Definitely Ostia Antica! It's an easy trip and the site is fabulous! I think kids would have a blast and it's just a pretty easy ride on the trains, if I remember correctly. I would not do anymore museums on that last day. I'd be blitzed, never mind the kids. Same for the churches - while I love to see them, by this point in the trip, the kids may be really tired. And, while the Baths of Diocletian are great to see, they're not nearly as interesting as Ostia Antica.
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Danielle811
As always, your advice has been very helpful to the planning process. I am finalizing our itinerary details for our trip to Italy (leaving next week), and have just a few last minute questions that I hope the experts can help with.
We (me, DH, DS-11, DS-9, and DD-4 turning 5 while there) are doing quite a lot of moving around this trip, starting in Milan, taking the train to Venice for 2 nights, and then the train to Rome for 6 nights, with a day trip to Florence from Rome. MOST things are booked, but I'm stuck on a few details.
​​​​​​1-Is it necessary to prebook tickets to the Doge's Palace? As of now, it seems pretty open for the date I'm looking at, and it would be nice to have a little flexibility to explore if possible.
​​2-We are taking a day trip to Florence from Rome. Our train tickets are booked, and we'll arrive in Florence around 11 AM, and depart a little before 8 PM. I am going to book tickets to the Accademia, but I think we'll probably have to miss the Uffizi this trip as I'm fairly certain my kids are going to be hitting museum fatigue at that point (second to last day, and we're at the Vatican the day prior). Besides the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio, what else should we squeeze into our quick day?
3-I'm a little stuck with what to do on our final day in Rome. We are going to cover many of the major sites in our first few days, including Campo di Fiore, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Villa Borghese (probably not going to visit the gallery this trip), Pantheon, Colosseum and Forum, and Vatican City.
Part of me thinks we should just leave it open, and see if there is anything specific that we would like to revisit, but, especially at the end of trip, I would like to have productive last day. Our airport transport is scheduled for 5AM the next morning, so it can't be a very late night.
A couple of ideas I've had are the Capitoline Museums (but again with the museum overload?), Baths of Diocletian, or even heading out to the Appia Antica.
Thanks in advance for your feedback
The age of your kids dictates a lot of your choices.
There isn't an art museum that will keep the attention of a 5 yo. The older 2 may seem bored, but my kids forgot the boredom and later had good memories of "I was there!"
We also showed them pics of the highlights and made it a scavenger hunt.
1) We used the GetYourGuide app often & the night before booked a timed-entrance/short tour of Doge's that saved us about 45 minutes of standing in line.
2) Our kids loved climbing the Duomo in Florence (advance ticket needed that will also get you into the Baptistry, which is interesting). Walking from the Duomo to Ponte Vecchio will take you through some neat markets/squares & you'll see a lot of street performers (give kids some coins-they'll only interact for a tip!) They also liked the leather factory attached to Santa Croce. Agree that seeing any version of the David will suffice (and there's not much more to offer in the Accademia for small kids)
3) 2nd Castel St Angelo (easy to do after the Vatican). No need for a tour and kids can run wild a little & definitely has the medieval castle feel.
Anything outside the day before flying home is good! They'll be sick of transportation by then, so short commute is a must. Early pizza/pasta meal & 1 final gelato overload!
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alandavid
1) We used the GetYourGuide app often & the night before booked a timed-entrance/short tour of Doge's that saved us about 45 minutes of standing in line.
2) Our kids loved climbing the Duomo in Florence (advance ticket needed that will also get you into the Baptistry, which is interesting). Walking from the Duomo to Ponte Vecchio will take you through some neat markets/squares & you'll see a lot of street performers (give kids some coins-they'll only interact for a tip!) They also liked the leather factory attached to Santa Croce. Agree that seeing any version of the David will suffice (and there's not much more to offer in the Accademia for small kids)
3) 2nd Castel St Angelo (easy to do after the Vatican). No need for a tour and kids can run wild a little & definitely has the medieval castle feel.
Thank you for all of this feedback! I'll plan on booking the Doge's palace the night before.

Regarding Florence, I'll take a look at climbing the Duomo. Out of curiosity, did your kids also do St. Peter's dome? Our Vatican and Florence days are back to back and I just want to make sure we're keeping things fairly fresh.

I'll definitely consider Castel Sant Angelo. My husband and I went pre-kids, so it wasn't super high on my priority list, but it sounds like it may be hit!
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progol
Definitely Ostia Antica! It's an easy trip and the site is fabulous! I think kids would have a blast and it's just a pretty easy ride on the trains, if I remember correctly. I would not do anymore museums on that last day. I'd be blitzed, never mind the kids. Same for the churches - while I love to see them, by this point in the trip, the kids may be really tired. And, while the Baths of Diocletian are great to see, they're not nearly as interesting as Ostia Antica.
Definitely taking Ostia Antica under consideration, thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 09:22 AM

You may also consider one of the guided tours of the Doges Palace, either Secret Itineraries or Hidden Treasures. I did Secret Itineraries last August and found the tour to be interesting and engaging; and is probably good for kids, too. After you are done with the tour (lasts an hour) you can explore the Palace on your own, which includes crossing the Bridge of Sighs.

You will need to book these tours in advance on the Palace website. The nice thing about this, you skip the line, if there are any.

It may not be necessary to prebook your entries into St. Mark's (if you are going) at this time of year, but that is an option, too.
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Investigate what climbing the Duomo in Florence entails and then decide whether all of your kids can manage it. The oldest will probably leave you in his dust, but the youngest will likely find it tough going.... 463 steps and most are much steeper than your typical staircase. It's dark and can be claustrophobic. In my memory, it's more difficult than climbing St. Peter's in Vatican City, so you should know what your kids can handle before you get to Florence. Unfortunately, AFAIK, you need to make a timed reservation in advance in order to climb to the Lantern.

https://external-content.duckduckgo....346&ipo=images
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
Investigate what climbing the Duomo in Florence entails and then decide whether all of your kids can manage it. The oldest will probably leave you in his dust, but the youngest will likely find it tough going.... 463 steps and most are much steeper than your typical staircase. It's dark and can be claustrophobic
I totally agree with this about my youngest, and would probably even question whether my 9 year old would be that excited about it. Definitely worth a conversation with the older kids.

Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 06:17 PM

Are you talking about the Duomo dome or campanile? I meant the campanile. Not everyone has to do it at the same time.

I've climbed the campanile but not the dome but I have climbed the dome at St Peters in Rome - the views were great but it felt a bit claustropobic for me.

Last edited by dreamon; Feb 10th, 2023 at 06:26 PM.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 10:06 AM

We took our kids to Italy when they were a bit older. We climbed everything that could be climbed and they loved it.
One thing to ponder, probably with your spouse. Your kids are going to be seeing LOTS of religious paintings and sculptures, some of them gruesome (you know, martyrdom). What will you say when asked? Whether you are Roman Catholic, Hindu, Atheist, etc. you should think about how you will discuss the religious elements with your kids. There is no "right" answer, of course. But it's an opportunity to explain your own faith or discuss a faith different than yours or discuss the concept of faith, etc.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Danielle811
Thank you for all of this feedback! I'll plan on booking the Doge's palace the night before.
Regarding Florence, I'll take a look at climbing the Duomo. Out of curiosity, did your kids also do St. Peter's dome? Our Vatican and Florence days are back to back and I just want to make sure we're keeping things fairly fresh.
I'll definitely consider Castel Sant Angelo. My husband and I went pre-kids, so it wasn't super high on my priority list, but it sounds like it may be hit!
We've done both dome climbs
Duomo is probably more "fun." Narrow circular stairs between the 2 walls of the dome, short ladder at the end. The top is open-air and larger than St. Peter's.
St Peter's is easier to do (while still in the basilica, just go to the left and pay the fee. No timed entrance to book and you have the option to ride an elevator almost 1/2 way, so easier climb!)
Both have an interior deck at the midway point where you can see the interior of the dome up close and look down.
St. Peter's also has a "secret" coffee/gift shop on the roof that you can visit on the way down. Can look down into the square from behind the angels!

Easier logistically to climb St Peter's, so I'd choose that for you.