Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Need last minute advice re: Queenstown/Milford Sound! (really last minute!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (husband, 8yo son and I) are leaving in 5 days for NZ. On Sat 2/12, we're planning on flying from Wellington to Queenstown (arriving a.m.), spending the afternoon in Q'town, and were then going to go on the 13th to Milford Sound. On the 14th (afternoon), we will fly to Auckland for a return flight to the US on the 15th. (Yes, a very fast trip!)

It seems that the weather is the real unknown factor in traveling to Milford Sound (we were hoping to fly both ways, to avoid a long bus trip). So my question is: is Milford Sound a "must-see," or is there something else we could/should do with our 2.5 days on the South Island?

This forum was of GREAT help to us last year when we planned our Aussie trip, so I'm relying heavily on you experts! Thanks!
Grace
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 10:26 PM

With only 2.5 days you are going to want to stay near to Queenstown anyway (otherwise you'll spend the days driving).

If the weather is bad the flights will be cancelled so you can go so something else around queenstown instead. Play it by ear I'd say.

If all else fails have a glass of wine by the lake contemplating the meaning of life.

;-)
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 03:37 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never flown over Milford, but I have no doubt that it would be a spectacular way to see the area.

I certainly wouldn't go to the effort and expense of flying to the South Island for the sole purpose of taking a Milford Sound CRUISE however.

I've been to Milford Sound twice and both times I found the drive from Te Anau to Milford much more scenic and interesting than the cruise itself. Granted, both times the weather was awful, so this may have been a factor.

I've heard wonderful things about the overnight Doubtful Sound cruise, so if you'd like to see the fiords via boat, you might want to look into Doubtful Sound instead.

Is Milford Sound a "must see"? It probably is for a first time visitor to the South Island. If the bus loads of tourists are any indication, yes it is. Would I go out of my way to see Milford Sound? No, but I've been there, so I can't answer that for you.

Given the choice, I'd choose a flight over Milford instead of the cruise.

Just my opinion...
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:36 PM
mjs

I would certainly put Milford/Doubtful high on my list of things to do for the south island. I also agree that the drive from Te Aneau to Milford is pretty spectacular. Have not flown but imagine it would be grand. Drive one way and fly back might be the best of both worlds.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:57 AM

The bus/cruise/fly option seems to be the best, BUT it's soooooo expensive.

The three options are:

bus/cruise/bus - NZ$190

fly/cruise/fly - NZ$300

and finally

bus/cruise/fly - NZ$489

I'm trying to decide. Bus both ways makes it a loooong day, but I was told it's a nice ride. Flying both ways would eliminate the lengthy bus trips and make the excursion into a 1/2 day trip instead of a full day. The last option is the most desirable but at about US$350 per, it's on the expensive side.

I'm so confused.....

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Yeah, I was kinda shocked when I saw the prices for the bus/cruise/fly option. SOOOOO expensive. I think we'll take the bus both ways and sleep on the way back.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:12 PM

<b>CORRECTION</b>

All the above prices should be in US$ NOT NZ$.

The amounts stay the same.