Milford sound

Sep 27th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Milford sound

Which is preferrable from Queenstown: fly-cruise-fly or bus-cruise-fly?
Sep 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM

We stayed in Queenstown and took a coach to Milford Sound for the day cruise. It was worth it to see all the stops along the way via coach bus. If you fly out of Queenstown to go home, you will still see a lot from the air.
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:57 AM

We drove to Te Annu and stayed there. Took the Coach/Boat tour which was the best way to go. To drive to Milford would be a chore and you would not see very much. Also, consider going to the Glow Worm Caves in Te Anny. Can be done the evening of the Milford Sound Tour day trip. (long but a good day)
Sep 30th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Hi - I went to NZ a long time ago and took a round-trip coach - a very long day. This time I'm flying both ways. Had I more time, I'd fly-cruise-coach it and relax on the way back. The drive to Milford Sound was magnificient and well worth the trip. If I had even more time (and money) I'd either take an overnight cruise on Milford or Doubtful Sound or I'd spend the night in Te Anau. Enjoy your trip! MB
Sep 30th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Several years back we did a bus-cruise-fly which ended up being a bus-cruise-bus when the fog rolled in and the return flights were cancelled. So I'd suggest fly-cruise-bus with the hope that if there is am fog, you can then fly out in the afternoon. The bus drive is interesting but LONG!
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:03 PM
mjs

I would do the bus/cruise/fly as the bus ride from Te Annu is to me as interesting as Milford Sound.
Oct 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM

Agreed with most that the drive/coach ride from Queenstown to Milford Sound is too gruelling. I will be going in 2 weeks' time and am considering the fly option. However, does anyone know if the flights accept toddlers on board?

S
Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:33 PM

Does no-one care about price? The pricing is very non intuitive and very brutal if you casually pick the wrong thing. Something like a round trip air is much much cheaper than bus/fly combo, or at least the morning flights may be cheaper since less popular. Maybe sign up for round trip air, and they would give you a one way bus free with the inevitiable fog? But really best to overnight in Te Anau and hit Doubtful as well