Castelmezzano & Pietrapertosa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2023, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone driven to these towns from Salerno or Matera? How were the roads? Nice mountain experience?
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 07:40 PM

Our family visited Pietrapertosa with the sole purpose of “riding” the Volla dell’Angelo. The drive up to the hilltop town was amazing. I’m not sure what you’d like to know. There was a public parking lot that we used and then just wandered around. I would highly recommend! Bring your google translate!
https://www.volodellangelo.com/index_eng.asp
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Michele! We will be leaving either Solerno or Paestum via rental car and want to reach Matera before dark. Mainly I was interested in the drive time to take the side trip to Pietrapertosa, and especially if the road there is easily travelled. Did you travel down and back to Pietrapertosa the same way?
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have also considered visiting Pietrapertosa either or to/from Paestum/Matera but mountainous driving with hairpin turns and sharp drop-offs makes me nervous. I've looked at Google street view for the route and it appears not too bad, but wonder...

mountaindreamer, what time of year are you traveling?
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Leely2--I have also looked at Google maps, and there are a couple videos posted on line of the drive to these mountain towns. It does not look that ominous. I'm mostly trying to ascertain how long it takes to get down and back to be able to reach Matera by dark. We are traveling in early May. I don't always find that the rental car people are familiar with secondary routes.