Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last 2 nights near FCO -- go to Ostia Antica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think of my idea of leaving Rome 2 nights before our flight home, and visitng Ostia Antica on that last day? Will we find ourselves wishing there was more to do in the area, or will we find plenty to occupy ourselves there? We would save €40 a night from our Rome apartment, so could afford to take a taxi or two on that last day to see something else.

thanks for any suggestions.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You can see Ostia Antica on yur way to the airport where it osunds like you staying your last night. It is practically next to the airport and will take a few hours to see it all.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Perhaps you just want to spend the last night out there and not the last 2? As the person above suggested, it is very easy and quick to see, and even if a stay outside is cheaper, one more night in Rome to really see Rome is worth it. Well ok, what time of year? If it's beach season that's a different story and your plan is perfect. But if it's wintery rainy season I'm sure one night is enough.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

This would be at the end of September. My husband is going to Rome with me under sufferance, as he is not all that big on the sights there, and finds it too intense.

I just read that there is a boat trip of a couple of hours that takes you to the mouth of the Tiber. it runs in the summer, according to my book, but doesn't specify when summer ends. Does anyone know about that? DH would like that, I am sure.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Ostia is well worth seeing, and I think you can find enough to do to justify two nights. There is also a museum near FCO displaying Roman ships that were excavated near there, and if you have a car, you could always drive up or down the coast.

I also ran across a mention of a boat trip to the mouth of the Tiber, but could not find it on the internet. I don't think it would be very spectacular.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:14 AM

The river cruises are run by www.battellidiroma.it. I'd avoid them: The Tiber embankments are too high to allow much to be seen; there are illegal-immigrant camps along the shores; there is garbage floating in the river. And the food on the dinner cruise is probably pretty bad.