Cost of traveling in Europe for 1 month

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been researching the cost of a 1 month trip to Europe, but i would like to know from locals and/or people who have already traveled abroad. These are the details of my trip:

-When: Sometime durring the summer (May-August)
-Durration: about a month, maybe a little longer
-Where: England 7 days(London and Manchester), Ireland 3 days (Dublin), France 2 days(Paris), Sweden 1 day , Holland 1 day, Germany 3 days, Italy 7 days (Venice, Rome, Scilly), Greece 4 days, and possibly Madrid and Romania.
-Will be staying in hostiles all of the time except in Manchester where I'll be staying with family: price of hostile for about a month?
-round trip from Arizona to England
-1 month Eurail Pass
-ferry from Italy to Greece
-I would like to go to the Reading Music Festival in August
-cost of tourist sites (Museums, galleries, etc.)
-food prices
-any other costs or information...?
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM

I suggest you go to google maps and hook all those places together to see how far apart countries are from one another. France 2 days, Sweden 1 day, Holland 1 day? I believe you will spend more time getting there than actually visiting those places. You will spend lots of your time in train stations and in trains with your present itinerary.

I would suggest scaling back your spread out destinations to England, France, and Italy or perhaps England, France, Italy and Germany at most for a one month visit unless the point is to just check off a list of countries that you can say you've visited.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Airfare from AZ to Europe will likely be considerably less expensive in May and August than June and July.

Do not fly roundtrip to London. Make an open jaw reservation flying into London and back home from somewhere in Italy.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a joke, right? Have you looked at a map? Or a guidebook? After you do that, check the train timetables at bahn.de and budget airlines at whichbudget.com.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM

First of all - do May instead of August. Weather is much better, there are fewer tourists mobbing the sights and it's possible to get better rates for lodgings.

Second, agree you have way too many places listed (you're not allowing any time to get form one to another - which will be a major cost and time eater). You have 13 places - 8 is doable but still sort of rushed (once you deduct a day to get from each place to the next. Plus some - Sweden and Greece - are rela outliers and will take a LONG time to get to.)

Third do NOT do RT to Europe - fly into the UK (Manchester if you have family there - go first to get acclimatized and then back from your last city).

Finally, you need to get a couple of student priced Guide books - look at the Let's Go series and web sites to find out prices you can expect (hostels - shared bed in a dorm room is about $40 per night) and the cost of and how to eat and travel very inexpensively. You also need to allow for transit within cities (not cheap) sightseeing (some things are free, many not cheap - the Tower of London is about $25 to get in) and nightlife. If you drink the local wine or beer in a student type place not bad - anything else - bit $.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Do some research. Asking such a general question on this board does not count as research.

I think no one should be allowed to go to Europe without consulting a guidebook or too.

I agree that you are trying to see too much, and I doubt that you are taking into account the time it takes to get to each of these countries and get settled into your hostel. I usually spend two or three weeks in one country--or at most two.

You've been given good advice by previous posters.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Many people stay in Hostels, however I have stayed in a "hostile" every now and then. Just kidding.

Your itinerary is not well thought out. First, get a map of Europe, the areas you are considering covering would be the equivalent of over 1/2 of the U.S..

Every time you move, you lose a minimum of 1/2 day. Every time you move it costs you money.

Honestly, get a map and a couple of guidebooks to begin with.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Homework. Homework. Homework. And as someone says, asking an open-ended question on a travel forum does not count. It makes you sound like an immature student who expects someone else to listen to the profs, take notes & hand 'em over .. but wait!... oh.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Eurorailpass is not always a great day to travel around Europe especially trying to hit all of the countries that you want to do in one month. Rethink it!
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Ditto everyone. From an informed person's viewpoint, your itinerary is even at a glance completely undoable. It's not even worth listing all the reasons why. We're not talking about the quality of your trip - just pure feasibility.

Before you can work out details like the cost of hostels (not hostiles, you <i>definitely</i> wouldn't want to stay with hostiles, not a good trip at all) and sightseeing, you need to come up with a workable itinerary. It's not hard to tweak the itinerary to fit your budget, but it's nigh impossible to price an itinerary that doesn't yet exist.

If you are under 35 and want to see a heap of places in a very short time frame, take a look at the dreaded Contiki, which has budget tours for 18- to 35-year-olds. Quality travel it's not, but they will haul you around to a new place every day or two and you'll see as much as possible in the month. But even they can't make what you're suggesting possible.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ditto, ditto, ditto.

You have laid out a totally undoable itinerary.

Sorry, but that's the truth. 1 day - Sweden? Okaaay. 5+ hours to get there (flying including advance check in etc) and 5+ hours to get someplace else. So what exactly do you hope to see in about 5 or 6 hourson the ground? 1 day Holland - see above.

7 days for Rome Venice and Sicily? Really not doable since they are in different parts of the country.

Madrid and Romania? On totally opposite sides of Europe.

There are just too many problems to even begin fixing your plan. And this is totally undoable by train since many of those locations are hundreds of miles apart. You need to look into flying the longer distances (though you really do need to eliminate those farthest flung destinations)

You also need to look into flying open jaw. Into say Rome, and home from London or something like that. You really don't have time to travel back to your point of entry. There are lots of options for open jaw itineraries.

So -- get a map of Europe and guide book. Then start working out what actually makes sense.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Re the Reading Festival: it might work out better for you to go to the sister festival in Leeds from your Manchester base -it's usually the same lineup over the same weekend, and I guess you won't have camping equipment. I believe tickets sell out pretty quickly for both, though.