Lake Orta to La Morra - What to See Along the Way

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

We will be driving from Lake Orta to La Morra in May. Would love suggestions on places we might stop along the way? Its my husband and I who enjoy wandering, good food, museums, castles, palaces and scenery. Any recommendations for us? Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we are driving from la morra to lake orta in june so hope to see some suggestions!!
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plambers
we are driving from la morra to lake orta in june so hope to see some suggestions!!
I hope so! We will be doing it middle May and will check back with anything we discover.

Old Apr 4th, 2023, 03:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
In between Lago di Orta and Turin is a cool palace, Reggia di Venaria Reale

Palazzina di caccia di Stupinigi is just outside Turin. It’s a gigantic Savoy palace that was designed as a Royal Hunting Lodge.

Basilica of Superga in Turin is up on a hill. Take the tour. It was spectacular.

In Turin, if you love film and music, then the Mole Antonelliana & Museo Nazionale del Cinema, a building that used to be a synagogue but now houses Italy’s National Film Museum. It’s a great time. Get headphones and enjoy. Has a cool elevator, but it was not in operation when we visited.

Palazzo Reale in Turin is also a real head turner.

We loved Turin, La Morra and all of Piemonte.

We loved Turin, La Morra and all of Piemonte.

These and others are in my 2018 trip report.
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maitaitom
In between Lago

These and others are in my 2018 trip report.
thanks, Tom, I read your report. We’ll be in Turin later in this trip and hope to visit all the spots you mentioned either there or as day trips from LaMorra.
I think you drove from Turin to Lake Orta as I recall? We’ll be driving from Lake Orta to La Morra so was hoping to hear about towns or sites worth stopping at.
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 12:45 AM

Lake Orta is in the North-East and La Morra is in the South-West of Piedmont. Almost the whole Regione Piemonte with tons of castles, museums, sanctuaries, small towns with medieval centers..... is in between.
May be you tell us how many weeks you plan in order to visit all that.
The whole area of Lake Orta - Lake Maggiore - Vastrona - Valsesia - Valle d'Anzasca ..... is excellent for hiking in May. There is no need to go somewhere else.
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
Lake Orta is in the North-East and La Morra is in the South-West of Piedmont. Almost the whole Regione Piemonte with tons of castles, museums, sanctuaries, small towns with medieval centers..... is in between.
May be you tell us how many weeks you plan in order to visit all that.
The whole area of Lake Orta - Lake Maggiore - Vastrona - Valsesia - Valle d'Anzasca ..... is excellent for hiking in May. There is no need to go somewhere else.
Thank you! Yes, it is a destination rich area. We are slow travelers and like to relax and do short 1 hour or so day trips. We will go from MXP to Lake Orta for a few days to get over jet lag. We may do a short day trip from Lake Orta. From Lake Orta we will drive to La Morra, a short drive, I know. We will be in La Morra for a week so we will do lots of short day trips from there. What I am looking for is a route from Lake Orta by car to La Morra. After being in Liguria for a week+ plus we will take the train to Turin for 5 days before returning to Milan for our return.
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 07:55 AM

maitai tom, your post helped us so much. we will be in n italy for 3 weeks. week based in bologna with day trip to ravenna and parma and a full day italian food day tour. then 3 nights turin, renting car and 4 nights la morra, 4 lake orta and final night milan.