Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lake Constance/Romantic Route Itinerary Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have only 6 days in Germany in early May and no matter what we're going! &quot;Live, Live, Live&quot;<BR><BR>So, we are debating 2 itineraries. Leaving Munich (driving) we'd either take the Romantic Route or head to Lake Constance and travel up the lake hitting towns. Our strong interests are in the local flavor, wine/vineyards,/beer/, hopefully hit a castle or two. Love to walk through small towns &amp; light hiking for views. Read a bunch of threads and still feel overwhelmed so I am tossing this out to see what anyone has to say currently. <BR><BR>Which itinerary for the short time and why? Favorite stops? What's the weather like at the Lake in May? Recommended accomindations ? Personal experiences would be of great help. Thanks! <BR>Keep Traveling!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:53 PM

I did a 6-day driving trip in Germany 10 years ago. It was fast paced, but great. I would suggest you head to Oberammergau, Neuschwanstein, then Lake Konstanz. I stayed at Meersburg (beautiful small town, great wine)and took the ferry across the lake roundtrip. Head up to BadenBaden over to Rothenburg, then down &quot;romantic road&quot; to Munich. I booked B&amp;B's in each town. Never had a problem. This was first week in Oct. I even spent one night in Salzburg. Germany is so beautiful and the driving was fine. Get a good map.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

That sounds perfect! I have heard great things about Meersburg and it's on our list. So, you stayed somewhere new each night? Did you feel like you were in the car too much? <BR><BR>How did you like Salszburg? <BR>Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:35 PM

baemel: with your interests in beer, wine, and castles, I'd suggest heading north along the Romantic Road first. In/near Rothenburg, you can pick up the &quot;beer road&quot;:<BR><BR>www.bierstrasse.de<BR><BR>and the &quot;castle road&quot;, which takes you west to the &quot;wine road&quot; (both of which you can read about a):<BR><BR>www.germany-tourism.de/e/12627.html
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:09 PM

For excellent beer visit Andechs outside of Munich. Check Rick Steves, he gives details on how to visit this wonderful monastery brewery. It is an experience (and beer) you'll always remember. Saturday afternoon is full of locals having picnics in traditional dress.<BR>Esther