Lower Bavaria Sights

Search

Lower Bavaria Sights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower Bavaria Sights

My son (12 years) and I will be visiting Germany during the World Cup from Australia. We are very excited to have tickets for a game in Stuttgart. Meantime, we intend to do some sightseeing, and part of that will be in the lower Bavarian area. My question is: how reasonable is it to base yourself at Fussen to see the castles, but also go to Zugspitze Mtn. My current itinerary has us moving to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for Zugspitze. We will have a car and have about five days for this part. Just sometimes moving accommodation takes time where it can be better to base yourself somewhere. We also want to see Lake Constance/ Bodansee.

Thankyou all for your help in advance.

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:44 AM

Distances aren't all that far for visiting the Zugspitze--you're less than an hour from either Garmisch or the Obermoos, Austria cableway.

Not sure that Fussen would be my first choice as a base, but many people do like the town.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:53 AM
ira

Hi L,

You can find driving directions from Fussen to Garmisch at www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com.

They are 40 mi apart.

For your visit to Lake Constance see the www.viamichelin route for Garmisch to Bregenz.

Stay on the Austrian and German sides of the lake. If you go into Switzerland, you will have to buy another road tax disk.

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou for your help.

I haven't booked anything yet and feel I have to because of the World Cup, so I think it's either Fussen, Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Lake Constance as it seems they are quite close and I will have a car at this point (later train).

My choice is either Fussen or Garmisch-Partenkirchen - any suggestions?
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:19 AM

Just for the record, the highest part of Bavaria is in the South, against the Alps. That is the part you are going to. It is called Oberbayern (Upper Bavaria). Lower Bavaria is north of there.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My wife and I have stayed in Fussen twice and really love it. Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau are 3 mile away. We stayed at Hotel zum Hechten and loved it.
www.hotel-hechten.de

paul
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM

The sights to see in Lower/Upper Bavaria area (within about 120 wiles, sort of from East to West) Herren Chiemsee (Ludwig's copy fo Versaille), Bertschesgaden (Salzburg is close by), Garmish (access to the Zugspitze), Ettal Monastary, Schlos Linderhof, Oberammergau, Wiesekirche, Fussen. The Bodensee is West of that.

All of those are worth the trip but if you are setting up a base and daytripping you might look in the middle of it all... around Oberammergau. It is very pictureesques, especially in the evening after the rest of the tourists head back to Munich.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:04 AM

Between G-P and Fussen, I would choose G-P. Fussen is a nice enough place, but G-P offers much more. For a good day trip, you could visit Ettal, Linderhoff, Oberammergau, Wieskirche, on your way to Fussen and the two castles nearby.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking of the bottom part of Bavaria as Lower because of it being South, but must be just showing my lack of local knowledge. Thanks Larry for correcting me!

If we stay in G-P, it sounds like seeing the castles of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau should be OK but I have heard that these get very crowded in Summer - would it need to be a very early setoff?
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Lorikeet, no problem.

Bavaria (Bayern) consists of seven level 1 administrative regions.

Oberbayern (Upper Bavaria) is the southern most region, from the southern border at the Alps to a little north of Munich. It contains the most interesting sights.

Niederbayern (Lower Bavaria) is nowhere near Oberbayern. It is a region from northeast of Munich to the Czech border and includes such towns as Passau, Landshut, and Straubing. At the risk of offending some Lower Bavarians, its sights are not as interesting.

I personally would prefer Füssen to G-P. Both are pretty touristy, but I think G-P is more so and more expensive. However, if you stay in G-P and have a car, Füssen is very accessible. You might try getting there by driving through the Austrian Tirol to Reutte. There is also a bus through Germany to Füssen and a train to Reutte.

No matter the crowds. You can get reservations in advance from www.neuschwanstein.de.

However, Füssen is in the neighboring administrative region of Schwaben, in an area known as The Allgäu, specifically in eastern (Öst) Allgäu. The Allgäu is a very beutiful area, not normal visited by Americans. It includes the island city of Lindau and the ski resort of Oberstdorf, from which you can access the beautiful Austrian valley of Kleinwalsertal.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Just a suggestion: if you go to the Bodensee, Meersburg is a really charming town in which to base yourself. We accidentally found ourselves in Constance and found it was not nearly as nice as Meersburg. Meersburg itself is charming, and it's easy to get to the "flower island" of Mainau from there.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Hi Lorikeet---we like Garmisch; we go there for hiking and there is a lot on offer. Your son (and you) would like one of the Klamm (gorge) hikes; it only takes a couple of hours but is quite an experience. You can also go up either the Zugspitz (by cogwheel train) or the Alpspitz (by gondola) from G-P.

Wherever you stay, it's best to get an early start for the castles. Once the tour busses arrive, it gets very crowded.

And if you do stay in G-P, go to the Dolomiti Eiscafe (in the pedestrian zone) and have Spaghetti Eis for dessert. Yum.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou all for your responses. I think in the end I will stay G-P and Lindau as I have a car, and then can do daytrips from both. From G-P, down to Innsbruck and Lindau will be on the way to Freiberg. I will check this more closely but it seems there is not that much difference between G-P and Fussen, (except of course what you want do on the way).

Thanyou for your help.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Lorikeet,

You can reserve your entrance to NeuSchwanstein and then just make sure you are there before the appropriate time.

You go through Neuschwanstein in groups on 60 for a 30 minute tour of 15 rooms. HohenSchwangau castle on the opposite hill is also worth seeing. Each castle cost 8E to tour. A two-castle ticket is 15E. I think children under 18 are free,

To reserve ahead contact the yicket office by phone 08362/930-930 or email [email protected] or book online at www.ticket-center-hohenschwangau.de Tickets reserved in advance cost E 1.60 extra. They warn that ticketholders must be at the ticket office at the base of the two hills that the castles sit on well in advance to allow time to get to the castle entrance. 30 minutes for Hohenschwangau and 60 minutes for Neuschwanstein.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou all for your help. I think I have decided to stay at G-P for 3 nights, Fussen just for one to be up early for the castles, and then Lindau or therabouts for 2 nights. I know thay are in close proximity but I have to go that way anyway, so one nighter in Fussen would probably be good on the way and save travelling back and forth. Thanks again for your help!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 05:42 AM

Just to muddy the waters. Definitely stay in G-P. You don't have to get an early start to the castles anymore. You can purchase your tickets the night (or online) before for the times you would like to see the castles. The tour buses normally have their times set before they get there.
If you're interested in some beautiful drives I'd recommend staying in G-P, doing the castle loop, and then driving from G-P to Lindau via Holzgau. The routes are at http://www.thirdmansystems.com/vacation/maps/maps.htm
The link named Garmisch Loop, Castles has the loop around G-P to the castles, and back. We actually do Oberammergau, Ettal, and sometimes Linderhof 1 day and the rest another. And of course Zugspitz. Be flexible and try to wait for a day you can get a great view.
The link named Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Bregenz is a route from G-P to Lindau. These are drives we have done and they are beautiful drives. I have pictures of both drives and can post them if you would like. 4 trips in that area and counting. We keep going back with different friends and family and everyone wants to see the castle.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 06:40 AM

Very cool website Norrisken, but that 7 day loop looks absolutely brutal!!! I'm all for trying to keep moving, but 6-7 hours of non-stop driving would be way too much for me. That would be a dream itinerary if one had twice as long to do it.

All the day trips look do-able. I'm bookmarking that site for future reference. Thanks much!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Zeus,
LOL! That 7 day trip was at the request of someone that wanted to do try the ultimate trip of mountain views and sights. We've done all that trip except for San Leonardo in Passiria to Bolzano and Zell am See to Salzburg. But not all during one trip. I can also create maps for other trips if needed. Some of the trips are more than days trips, just put there for reference. Some people make the mistake of trying to squeeze in too much. We normally pick a central point, come up with multiple day trips and then do the ones that are best for the way we feel or what the weather allows. Some days just resting and a little shopping can recharge the batteries and make the trip that much better. Sorry to preach!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Norrisken - your day trip maps are fabulous. I am most interested in the Garmisch loop w/castles and Garmisch to Salzburg via Alpenstrasse. How would you include Zugspitze in this trip?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:48 AM

If you are based in G-P, try Zugspitze to catch the first car up. Weather is critical. It's not worth it if it's not a clear day. Then do Ettal and Oberammergau. Next day do the castles, Plansee and Wieskirche. If you only have 1 day I would do Zugspitze, Schloss Neuschwanstein, and come back to Linderhof if you have time. The food at the restaurant at Linderhof is very good. Day trip from Munich, just leave extra early. Hope this is some help.

Ken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -