Lake Como With Walking Difficulties

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have all been a great help in the past, so here we go again…..

My story: DH and I are flying into Milan in June 2009, spending the night and then taking the train to Lake Como the next day. We will stay 3 or 4 nights before taking the train to Florence to meet friends. I have arthritis so I have some mobility issues. I have done my share of walking in Venice, Rome, Siena and many other Italian towns, but have never been to Lake Como and do not want to get over my head.

Questions: What would be the best town/hotel, considering we will not have a car? A lake view would be nice, an elevator is a must if it is more than 1 full flight of stairs, options for cafes/restaurants within walking distance (steep hills not wanted) or transportation available to them. I would like to keep it around 100 euros.

Thanks ahead of time !
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Try the HOTEL FLORENCE in Bellagio. It is in the center of town, down near the ferry landing, so you'd have minimal climbing/walking to do. I haven't stayed there ( we were at The BELEVEDERE, way uphill) but I've heard that it has phenomenal lake views.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Bellagio is full of steep stairs (other than the waterfront area) but they have very shallow risers and deep steps so are not difficult to navigate. If you can do Venice with all the stairs then you can do the stairs at Bellagio.

I haven't stayed at the Hotel Florence but it looked nice from the outside and it's very close to the passenger ferry dock so you can take the boats to other towns and explore.

I stayed at the Hotel Suisse but they do not have an elevator and all rooms are above the ground floor. Also this was a bit of a weird hotel so wouldn't recommend it.

I'm not sure you'll find much on the waterfront in Bellagio for 100 Euros but I would try to stay in that area of Lake Como as it is very charming and fun.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You have several needs/requirements, and fulfilling all of them will be difficult.

First of all, the three towns of mid-Lake Como are not particularly friendly to visitors with mobility issues.

Bellagio has stairway-like streets that rise up from the lake front. You can walk them at your own pace and stop frequently to look into the shops, but there's no way to traverse these streets other than on foot. The main part of the town is very compact. There are taxis but few streets they can drive on.

Varenna is a little flatter, but there are still some stairway streets, uneven pathways and narrow sidewalks. The town is small but sprawls a bit along the shore. There are taxis but usually have to be called.

Menaggio is the flattest but also the largest of the three towns. Taxis can drive on the streets and therefore might be an option for getting around.

Your 100-euro hotel budget will be a challenge. The Hotel Florence's cheapest double is 140 euros, and the Hotel Belvedere doubles are 236 euros.

The Metropole Hotel in Bellagio is often recommended here, but their doubles are 155 euros in June.

A studio apartment at Residence La Limonera in Bellagio is 100 euros in June, but the property is located near the upper edge of the main part of the town. www.residencelalimonera.com

I suggest you do some research into Menaggio and see if it appeals to you. Then do a search here for Menaggio hotels and also at Tripadvisor.com and Venere.com. If you develop a short list, come back here and ask for comments.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM

This is a bit of a challenge (access, elevator and 100 E per night). Menaggio, a town across the lake might interest you, it is probably more flat.

We have not stayed there but from its website, the Garni Corona - Mennaggio looks to have an elevator.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. If the cost is more than 100 euros then that's how it goes. The elevator, if it is more than one flight of stairs and access to town is the most important. Someone in an earlier post mentioned Hotel Bellavista in Menaggio. Any experience with this hotel? Trip Advisor differs on whether people would recommend it for people with disabilities. I realize that is a hard call, since there are all types of disabilities.

Any information or other ideas are appreciated.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:27 AM

The central part of the city of Como is flat. It's an attractive city with a small historic center. Why not stay there, and take ferry rides to other towns and destinations? If it gets too hilly, just go back to the boat dock.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM

The BellaVista is on the lakefront in Menaggio

Menaggio is DEFINITELY flatter than either Varenna or Bellagio and for the most part the restaurants and hotels are fairly close together.

Not as many shopping or dining opportunities as there are in Belllagio

I have not stayed in the BellaVista, only had a couple of meals there which were good and took a tour of some of the rooms.

I am not certain if that hotel has an elevator or if any of the rooms are on the ground floor.

here is the website:

http://www.hotel-bellavista.org/default.html
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:48 AM

BTW...if you are taking the train to Varenna be aware that the train station is about a ten-minute walk (all downhill) from the ferry dock.

Generally speaking, at least one taxi will probably be there waiting for every train arrival, particularly those from Milan.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. The website says the Hotel Bellavista in Menaggio has a lift. Does the train also stop in Menaggio?
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM

The train stops in Varenna and you take a boat to Mennagio.

You can arrange with your hotel to send a cab to pick you up at the Varenna station.

When I arrived in Varenna there was one cab and someone else got it. But it turns out I didn't need it as it was an easy walk to the ferry. But I don't have mobility problems and didn't have much luggage.

Again I say...if you can handle Venice you should be able to do the 10 minute or less downhill walk from the Varenna station to the ferry. It's really easy!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Sounds like it's all coming together. You can book the Bellavista for 90- 120 euros for a double. It has an elevator. Menaggio is the flatest town, but you can still also see some of the flatter areas of Bellagio and Varenna, and you can get from the train stop to the ferry in Varenna by cab, and then from the ferry stop in Mennagio to your hotel, either by cab or by walking depending upon your luggage. it's not far. You'll love Lake Como and all three of the towns.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much. The BellaVista may work. Anyone else with any ideas?
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

1st my apologies for flip flopping back and forth, but I'm back with a new, but really the same question.

I spoke to friends yesterday, who were in Varenna last year and stayed at Hotel Cipressi. They think that that the water front area, which is the area they spend most of the time at, would be fine for me to walk around. It does not appear that this hotel has an elevator. Hotel du Lac does have an elevator, is close and appears to be close to the ferry.

Any comments on these 2 hotels? I know they are way over my "dream price", but that's the way it goes!
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:15 AM

I've stayed at the du Lac in Varenna a couple of times and have recommended it to friends. It's closer to the ferry than the Cipressi and has a lovely terrace where you can sit at breakfast or anytime to enjoy the view. The Cipressi might be a little "grander," but if that's not a preference I'd pick the du Lac for its location.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jean. Is it also your opinion that there is enough right in that area so I wouldn't need to worry about negotiating the hills into the town?

This sounds like a good option for me.
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM

The du Lac is really right in town. Look at this website for info, map, etc.

http://www.varennaitaly.com/english.html

The map is pretty complete but a little tough to decipher between yellow (bars) and orange (hotels). The du Lac is on the point below the church and the "P" for parking lot. There is a mostly-level promenade along the lake shore (blue line) between the ferry landing and the church. The Cipressi is just beyond the promenade (to the right on the map, farther from the ferry). I would estimate the walk from the du Lac to the ferry to be a leisurely 10 minutes. The train station is above "Olivedo" and the "P" on the left side of the map. Most likely, you'll want to take a cab from the station to your hotel. It's an easy walk downhill, but I'd save your walking for the fun stuff.

There are steep stairway streets in Varenna (as there are in Bellagio), but I think you can avoid them a bit if you use the promenade to circle around, trading elevation for distance. Just walking from the back of the du Lac puts you more or less in the center of town.

The area immediately around the ferry dock in Bellagio is flat. Try to have lunch one day at either the Hotel Florence's lakeside, outdoor restaurant or, if you're up to a short uphill walk, the outdoor terrace at Bilacus on Salita Serbelloni.

You should have your hotel make dinner reservations in Varenna. Il Cavatappi and Vecchia Varenna get uniformly good reviews. (Il Cavatappi has only 4 tables.) We've also had good meals at the Olivedo Hotel, although the quirky proprietress (Laura) turns some people off.

Old May 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Perfect ! Thanks so much for all of the great information.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Have a great time in one of my favorite spots!