Rental Cars in Edinburgh

Search

Rental Cars in Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental Cars in Edinburgh

What is a good website for renting a car while vacationing in Edinburgh? Family of 5 travelling for a week - what size car? Other important options? Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Try Autoeurope first. They are a very well run broker that deals w/ most of the major car hire firms. They will often have the best rates - but after checking w/ them, you can try all the well usual suspects.

But I assume you do NOT mean for driving in Edinburgh - right? You do not want/need a car for anything in Edinburgh or for most day trips from the city.

If you mean for touring around elsewhere - yes, you'll want a car.
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Hi Neal623,

I was just in Edinburgh for a week in April. I only used busses and/or walking for the entire week. There's not much room for driving around the city, and very little parking.

A suggestion that I have seen on different threads is to use public transportation while in the city, then when you're ready to leave and tour elsewhere, go back to the airport to pick up the car and thus avoid driving in the city itself.

Cheers.
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

We plan on travelling outside of Edinburgh - to other towns and cities in Scotland up to 3-4 hours away. With a family of 5, I'm still assuming a car (or "mini-bus"?)would be the best option. Any advice?
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:16 AM

Try Kayak.com.
It allows you to search many sites at once, and gives you the option to search for the type of car/van/etc. you want.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:02 AM

Driving in the north of Scotland takes longer than you think. Narrow, even one lane roads with pullouts, slow trucks/lorries. Allow plenty of time.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:04 AM

In Sept 06, we rented on-line a 7-passenger van from Thrifty for $638/week. We were 3 women and one man . . . 3 of us had no clue to the concept of "packing light." Of course, the man is a golfer (the reason for the trip) and brought his clubs.

We were given a new Hyundi Trajet, it was smaller than our vans but we still had plenty of room for 3 huge suitcases, one 21", 3 carry-ons, duffel bag, and clubs.

We had no problems at all, we even had a slight accident (driver-side mirror broken when hit mirror of another car, his broken too). We immediately called Thifty, gave them guy's info, and that was that.

Hope this helps a little,
Sandy (in Denton)