Scotland Car Rental Questions

Oct 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Scotland Car Rental Questions

Any input on whether it is best to rent a car in advance via a U.S. car rental company, or rent one when we arrive in November? We plan to take the train from London to Edinburgh, and then rent a car for 3 days, returning by train to London. Based on the posts I have seen on Fodor's, it looks like our US drivers license is sufficient. Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Oct 23rd, 2007, 04:09 PM

Definitely rent ahead from home. You will usually save between 20% and 40% over walk-up rates in the UK. Plus, then there are usually no drop off fees, etc.

W/ all of my trips, only once was booking locally cheaper. That was when I flew from LHR to EDI on BMI and before landing the cabin crew announced a special promotion. W/ a BMI boarding pass, the Avis counter at EDI would give a large discount. I wasn't needing a car until 3 days later - but Avis said they would honor the promotion. So I cancelled my existing booking and rented from Avis.

But that was a special case - -
Oct 24th, 2007, 05:29 AM

Am I right in thinking you mean you'll stay a few days in Edinburgh, then leave & tour other parts of Scotland by car, the go back to Edinburgh to get the train back to London ?

If so, it's better to rent a car for when you leave Edinburgh rather than as soon as you arrive - a car is a liability in the city.

Also, have you thought about flying between London & Edinburgh ?
Oct 24th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Oh - hope my post wasn't confusing. I picked up the car 3 days later when leaving Edinburgh. No, you/don't need/want a car IN Edinburgh. I'd pick one up for touring after visiting Edinburgh.

(that is sort of what I assumed you meant - 3 days outside of Edinburgh)

Yes - all you would need is your Stateside license.
Oct 24th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the car is for use outside of Edinburgh.