Search

Lake Como or Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:48 PM
KBH
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Como or Amalfi Coast

We are doing the Rome/Florence/Venice trip in mid-June with children ages 11 and 15. Would the Lake Como area or the Amalfi coast be a better choice for a few extra days of relaxations for the kids?
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Hi KBH, you have me thinking. When we were in Italy with our teenage daughter we stayed at Lake Como and also the Almafi Coast and then Capri. She loved all of them.

I can't remember her liking one more then the other (except for Capri which she loved the best). Maybe someone else here can give you a suggestion.

Your trip sounds like fun and I am sure no matter what you chose you will all have a wonderful time.

Ooops, just remembered, our daughter loved Stresa and Isola Bella a lot. But that is not part of your itinerary so not relavent.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 11:30 PM

Some places are hard to scamper around and are kind of limited to boring adult things like sitting in front of wine glasses for hours at a time: Bellagio, Positano, Varenna, and maybe Ravello. Best bet should be Sorrento, with Capri second. Weaker maybes are Menagio, Amalfi, or Como.

Still better and more probably more convenient travelwise would be SE lake Garda with it's castles, playgrounds, and long shoreline walks.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Hi KBH We will be in the same area @ the same general time with 3 teens ages 15,16,17. We are hanging around Lake Garda for a few days and also Monterosso for a few days. I was on the Amalfi coast last year, can't wait to take my husband back. Very romantic! Not much "happening" for teens. Also long haul down to Amalfi. It depends on how much time you have. Hope you have a great trip whatever you do.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:23 AM

We've done both with our kids, and mine ( now 17 and 14) preferred the Amalfi Coast to the lakes. We based in Sorrento, then spent a few nights on Capri. But with your current itinerary, (esp. if you'd be coming from Venice) Lake Como would be a better fit.

If you reversed your itinerary, and did an open-jaw ticket into Venice and out of Rome or Naples, then it would make sense to add a few days in Sorrento or the Amalfi Coast.

Either way, I'm sure your kids will have a great time. Good luck!