Lake Como or Amalfi Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have rented a villa outside of Lucca for a week in June 2013. Now we are trying to add on about 5 days. We have been to Lake Como, Bellagio for one day years ago. Should we go back or go to Amalfi Coast where we have never been. We're 70 years old and do not want to drive. Want it rather easy. Am hoping to find some tour guides in either place that would take us around or I guess taxis. Any help you can give us will be appreciated. Betty
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 08:01 AM

Where is your flight home?
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 08:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For me, mid-Lake Como is a more relaxing area than the Amalfi Coast. No tour guide needed. Just ride the ferries, visit villas and gardens, shop if that's your thing.

The journey to either destination will take about the same amount of time, but both will involve multiple steps. To reach, say, Bellagio, would involve three trains, a short walk or taxi ride, and a short ferry ride. To reach the Amalfi Coast, involves two trains and then either a private driver to your hotel or another train, a bus and perhaps a short taxi ride at the end.

Overall, getting to the Amalfi Coast will cost more no matter which way you get there. Once you're there, it's likely you'll spend a little more money using taxis or drivers to get around. Walking in most of the Amalfi Coast towns involves lots of stairs.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 04:03 AM
ira

Hi B,

>Want it rather easy.

IIRC towns on the AC are more vertical, with a lot more stairs than Bellagio.

Other than that, my Lady Wife and I, both your age, agree that we would prefer the AC.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Nov 4th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

This is hard. I was hoping we could catch a train in florence direct to Sorrento. I've heard there is a direct coach out of rome to sorrento. We can stay in either place, I figure, another 5ive days. We don't want to be chugging up and down tons of steps all day. I remember driving to Bellagio and the roads being crazy. What to do!!!! Betty

So many have said Amalfi Coast is soooooooo beautiful!!
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's called a TAXI.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 06:55 AM

Depending on where you choose to stay on the Amalfi Coast, you could catch a train from Florence direct to Salerno - then taxi ...

Steve