Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

12 days in Italy-Lake District or Amalfi Coast

Feb 27th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in Italy this May/June for 12 days. Our flight from Toronto is to and from Rome. Our last trip to Italy was for our honeymoon when we visited Florence, Rome and Venice. We want to visit places we have not seen but feel that Rome is worth another visit. We are planning to rent a car. Breath taking views are our top priority. We also like to visit major tourist attractions as well.

If we do the Lake District we are thinking of:
Drive to Milan and stay in Milan one night; 3 nights in Bellagio (Lake Como); 2 nights in Cinque Terre; 2 nights in Tuscany (near Sienna); 3 nights in Rome.

If we do the Amalfi coast, we do not have a specific itinerary but would like to include Capri, Pompei, and Sorento. Staying the last 3 nights in Rome will not change.

We appreciate your suggestion on whether we should head North or South. Places to stay, eat and visit are welcome.
Feb 27th, 2012, 11:57 AM

I think the views are much more breathtaking in the Amalfi-Capri-Ischia area than Lake District or 5 Terre. but that would mean significantly more driving time, etc.

May and June are perfect times to visit Amalfi - Lake District is subject somewhat to more iffy weather in spring - getting that northern Europe cool wet stuff once in a while so not as dependably warm as Amalfi.

You cannot go wrong IMO. Bellagio is nice but can be really inundated by tourists especially on weekends then - small town with boat loads of day trippers during the day. There are other IMO just as quaint and less hectic places on Lake Como. Getting to Bellagio by car? I cannot remember any large parking lots there though there may be? You really do not need a car for Lake Como as boats go everywhere - a day boat pass is a great deal. Consider taking train to Como and boat to Bellagio then rent car when leaving, from Como - save on car rentals and potential parking hassles in Bellagio.
Feb 27th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice PalenaQ. I think weather is the key for vacationing. I am now intrigued to hear more about Amalfi Coast. You said more driving...... that is okay we will take our time going South. Do you have an itinerary in mind? Capri is a must for me because my parents visited this island in the 70's and I was mesmerized with the pictures.
Feb 27th, 2012, 03:26 PM

To me you made your choice when you got flights into and out of Rome. With 12 days in Italy, I would try to see Tuscany as well---Rome 3, AC 5, Tuscany 4.
Feb 27th, 2012, 03:50 PM

For breathtaking views, you have certainly picked the exact right place by picking the Amalfi Coast. Personally, I have spent a total of 20 days on the AC and there is enough to do in the area to be busy the whole time (Capri, Positano, Amalfi, Paestum, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples) and the weather will be perfect then. With your desire to re-visit Rome, why not spend 7-8 days on the AC and the rest in Rome. You could take a couple of day trips from Rome to Orvieto, etc. If you still really want to do the lakes, could you not fly into Milan and out of Rome?