Italy for honeymoon

Search

Italy for honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2019, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning Italy for honeymoon, please help

Hi, It will be my first time in Italy post 20th April for our honeymoon. Our places of interest are Lake Como, Capri, Amalfi Coast, Venice and Rome.
Our current plan is to fly from Mumbai to Milan and then head to Lake Como for 2 nights then take a train to Venice stay a night and then head to Naples via train and a ferry to Capri, base ourselves here for 4 nights and do day trips to Sorrento and Amalfi Coast and then head to Rome for 2 nights and fly back. Does this sound good? I read some posts on Capri not being a good base for Amalfi. Any suggestions?

Last edited by shilpalakhani; Jan 4th, 2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 07:10 AM

Most posters here would say you are trying to do too much in too little time. But it all depends on your travel style. We can be fast paced travelers, with limited luggage, and make efficient use of long days. Last fall, we spent three nights on Lake Como, using Varenna as a base, and found we really needed a minimum of two full days, and we had perfect weather. When in Amalfi area, we have always based in Sorrento, allowing ease of getting to Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi coast and Capri. Capri can be a nice place for a honeymoon to just hang out, but if you plan to do day trips elsewhere, I wouldn’t base myself in a relatively remote area that will daily require a ferry. I cannot imagine that you will find support for only one night in Venice. It is a magical place, but, in this case, you might wan to save that for a future trip and add one more day to lake Como.

I have attached a link to the first part of our report on northern cities and lakes that covers Lake Como: Trip Report: Part 1 Northern Italian Lakes & Cities (12 days October)
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 10:33 AM

>>> I read some posts on Capri not being a good base for Amalfi.
I would say this is an understatement. The ferry into and back from Capri from the mainland stops running before 8pm with Napoli connection running a little bit later. This is on top of the slow travel time plus boarding overhead you would not incur if you are based in the mainland. If you want to go to Capri, stay in Capri.

Lake Como in April is at the beginning of the season with hotels starting to open for the season.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 12:27 PM

Too busy an itinerary for my taste especially after a wedding. You will likely want some time to relax and enjoy yourselves. I would cut one or two places to make this a more enjoyable trip. It sounds like you only have 9 nights available. Which places are your priorities? I would focus on three locations, at the most, as you lose a fair amount of time traveling between places.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 01:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It would be WAY too busy with too much moving around for me... especially on a romantic honeymoon. To spend only 1 night in Venice is really shortchanging the most romantic place on your itinerary. Personally I would but 2 of the 5 places you mentioned (whichever ones are the least interest or the most out-of-the way).
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 01:59 PM

It's a dim memory now, but I do recall being absolutely exhausted after my (1st) wedding. And the Indian weddings I've seen and participated in were pretty frenetic and energy-zapping. I cannot imagine traveling all the way to Europe from Mumbai after any sort of wedding, though, and hitting the ground running on a trip like this.

Frankly, if it were me I'd rent an apartment on the Grand Canal in Venice, invest in some expensive silk loungewear, order up Bellinis and cicchetti, and put my feet up.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 02:23 PM

Como to Venice for only one night and on to Naples is a really, really, bad idea. That does not give you a whole day in Venice, just small parts of two different days. In your case, with traveling from Como and then to Naples, if you can not fit in two nights in Venice, then do not go.
It is not that you are doing too much. The problem is doing places pretty far apart. They are not quite far enough for flying, but still far enough to require a lot of travel time.

You have 9 nights, which is only 8 days! Mumbai to Milan to Como all in one go. You are setting yourself up to be totally wiped out on your day in Como. The next day will be at least a half day of travel to Venice. The next day will be most of the day from Venice to Naples to your base on the Amalfi Coast. You will have been in Italy three days with no time to actually see or enjoy it. Another 3/4 day will be eaten up getting from the Amalfi Coast to Rome.

Capri is fine just to relax. So is Positano or Amalfi. To do day trips, including Pompeii, consider Sorrento. Yes, it is touristy, but there are some wonderful hotels up on Via Capo with lovely terraces and fabulous views. Look at Hotel Minerva. Their terrace at night is fabulous!

It seems you have only one day in Como, one day in Rome and even less in Venice. Do you really have that little interest in any of those places? There is a lot to do and see in Venice, Rome and on the AC, but if your interest in Venice, Rome and Como is so minimal, drop two of them. Do not count any of your travel days as sightseeing days because your travel days will be longer than average. Two nights in a place give you one whole day.

Ideas:
Fly into Venice.
Venice, (3 nights, two days)
Fly to Naples, train or private car to Sorrento, (4 nights, 3days)
Train to Rome (2 nights, 1day)
Fly home.

Fly into Venice
Venice, 3 nights, 2 days.
Travel to Como, 2 nights, 1 day
travel to Milan, fly to Naples, travel to Sorrento, (will take your whole day) (could reverse the order of Venice and Como) 4 nights, 3 days
fly home from Naples.

IMHO, you need absolutely to drop at last one place and re-think arrival and departure cities. Even better, stick with either North or South (keep the Amalfi Coast or Venice and Como, not both areas.