Reload this Page >

Lake Como New Years/Hotel ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Maryleigh

We are looking for a nice, charming and clean hotel for Dec. 31st, Jan.1 departing on the 2nd of Jaunary. Any recomendations? Also, I realize we need dinner reservations for New Years. Does anyone know of a fun place to spend our New Years?? Thanks.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Howard

I can't give you any specific recommendations, but have a question: Why Lake Como? I'm not sure how many places (i.e., hotels and restaurants) are open in that area that time of the year.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:41 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I agree with Howard---the place may be dead. I would consider Lugano--a real town and very cosmopolitan.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 10:24 AM
curt

Maryleigh<BR>the city of Como will be open for business as usual. The above posters are referring to the smaller towns like Bellagio. In Como a nice hotel that I have used, right on the lake and on the main square, is the Hotel Barchetta Excelsior. Very nice rooms, good breakfast service, and a good dining room. Get a room with baclony overlooking the lake if possible. There are many eating options in Como, many right around the square and on the lake front. GO, enjoy.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Howard

I again raise the question, &quot;Why Lake Como?&quot;<BR>Don't get me wrong. We love that area. It's one of our favorites. But, it can't be that alive over New Year's.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 12:34 PM
buzzee

do the splurge and book in Bellagio for the New Year's Holiday. The best hotel there will have drinking and dancing. I recommend the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni but there are other hotels at differnt price points.I loved it...very romantic but too many Americans from the South.<BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 02:34 PM
sorry

Buzzee,<BR> Unless something has changed very recently, the Serbelloni and most of the other hotels in Bellagio are closed from December to March/April, generally shortly before Easter. It's always a bit of a treat to go there in March to watch them all madly painting and gardening and getting ready for the season! There is probably something available, but it will be very quiet (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:26 AM
tony

OK OK I agree with the above, why would you want to go to Como or even God forbid Italy when you can just run over to Hoboken or Newark for your holiday cheer. Jeez, why fly out of the country when you can party hardy right in New Jersey?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 06:47 AM
maryleigh

thanks for the responses. I only picked Lake Como because we are flying in from Milan the morning before and I thought it might be easier to not go too far since it will be New Years Eve day. I am OPEN to suggestions and we have no real itinerary. I had been to Lake Como 2 years ago May... by myself and my traveling companion has never been there. I was afraid we wouldn't get back there once we leave the area on this trip because we are heading down to Sicily(we think). We flew in to Milan because we got the best fare with the most direct flight from texas. We will be in Italy for a month and end in France for a music conference. So have at us with your suggestions for travel in Italy during this time of year. I am getting more confused every day with all the options. We are adventurous so we thought we would see what happens. However, It seems like we need dinner reservations on New Years somewhere so we are trying to make that reservation before we go. We are staying at the Antica Locanda dei Mercanti in Milan and so far that is our only reservation.. <BR>I have to tell you I enjoy this sight but the &quot;computer talk&quot; is new to me. It's addicting.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Howard

I can't help with any specific places, but I would think the city of Milan itself would offer many options for a memorable--well, at least a fun--celebration. Check with you hotel, for one.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Ken

I agree with the other posters that Como will be dead at New Years. Milan will have stuff going on, but ... would you consider hoping a train for Venice? A few hours on a direct train, and you can be in one of the most romantic cities in the world for New Years. And Venice does New Years right. It'll be cold, but so will Como or Milan. I'd catch that train.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 02:28 PM
yes

Venice sounds right to me! 3 hour direct train ride from Milano Centrale and there you are!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Howard

I agree. Venice sounds like a great idea!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 06:53 PM
maryleigh

Thanks...I will take the advice to celebrate New Years in Venice! Thanks for the feedback!!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 11:55 PM
Buzzee

Dear Maryleigh:<BR><BR>Sorry for the misinformation. As a more alert poster noticed The Villa Serbollini is closed at that time of year. I agree with the rest of the posters - Venice is a really fun place to be for a party. <BR>We took the train from Venice to Milan in the Spring and the time went by very quickly.<BR>Buzzee