Search

Lake Como

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Como

What is the best way to get from Milan to Lake Como? And what do we do when we get to Lake Como?
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:42 PM

<<And what do we do when we get to Lake Como?>>

I'm curious. Why are you going to Lake Como in the first place?
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:29 PM
kdcwood

We spent a week on Lake Como last April and really enjoyed our time there. Maybe this photo album will give you some ideas: http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3582

Kathy

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Perhaps the OP has the town of Como mixed in their mind with the rest of the lake? Otherwise, I am confused.

Ameliaisland, could you restate the second part of your question?

As for the first part, that definetly depends on where along the shores of Lake Como you are going. There are a number of places that are popular with visitors, and they mostly require different routes, and even different forms of transport to get to.

For example, you can go to Varenna by train, but not Bellagio. That is only one example.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:11 PM

There are trains very often from Milan to the town of Como, if this is what you mean.
We usually make a deal with a taxi at the airport.
Last month we paid $110.E
Como is the largest town in the area.
It is charming by the lake, and we stay there every year for a week on a business trip.
Bellagio is by far the most beautiful town on the Lake.
There are many water activities everywhere on the lake in the summer.
It is a great place to walk or hike.
Lotsof fishing, etc.
You can also take the extensive ferry services almost everywhere in lake country.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 04:10 AM

If you are starting at Malpensa airport, there are buses that go directly from MXP to the town of Como. Information is listed on the airport website. Two years ago (don't know if it's changed) there were three buses a day in each direction,about 8am, 1pm and 5pm. It took about an hour and was cheap and comfortable (airconditoned). By far the cheapest, least complicated and most effecient method, only downside is the fact that there are only three per day.

The city of Como is not that interesting (duomo is nice, some shopping streets) but there are boats leaving frequently for trips up the lake. Most people spend most of their time in Belagio or Varenna which are halfway up the lake. Boat trip takes about 2-3 hours, very pleasant. Both those towns are beautiful and very touristy. There are several villas in those towns and others around the lake that you can visit.

Many people spend several days or more but I took an 8am bus from the airport, the boat up to Belagio, then Varenna, spent the night, boat back to Como, and got the 5pm bus back to the airport. I spent the nights before and after at a hotel near the airport, and flew out the following morning.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank yall for your input. we really are just beginning to figure out our plans. We have heard that Lake Como is a great place to go and we are up for anything, so yall advice is a great help. Thank you.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Lake Como is beautiful. That is the attraction.

If you are what is often called a 'Type A Personalty', then there are walks that range from easy to experienced mountaineers only. There is some golf in the area. You can rent motor boats in some of the northern towns. You can hire a boat in Bellagio (possibly elsewhere).

Mostly what Lake Como is about is the scenery. Here is a link to some that I took in 2005 http://www.worldisround.com/articles/298051/index.html
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you thought about Lago Maggiore too - another beautiful lake, near milan with lots going on, and very good boat trips around the lakes and the islands. Try the "destinations" button at the top of this screen.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:42 PM

I too live on Amelia Island and have traveled to Italy 13 times. Lago Como is among my favorites. What is your total itinerary--it really depends.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 05:16 AM

Why go to Lake Como?

http://www.beginningwithi.com/italy/.../lake_como.htm

http://www.beginningwithi.com/italy/travel/bellaggi.htm

http://www.beginningwithi.com/italy/...atleccobl.html

...and there's lots more, but I think I can rest my case with these!

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:15 AM

There is also a bus from Malpensa to Menaggio. I have read several times on the Fodor's boards that by taking the Malpensa Express, you can switch trains before reaching Milan to get a train to the town of Como (where you can get a ferry to the most popular and scenic towns on the lakeshore).