Lake Como, Milan or where??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelling from venice to geneva and have one night and one and a half days to spare in the middle. Catching the train which will go via Milan. Should we try to visit lake Como and stay a night there ? Thought about staying in Milan and seeing The last Supper. Not sure we want to get caught up in the busyness of Milan. Any other suggestions? What thrills you in northern italy?
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 03:02 AM

Most offices and factories close for the whole of August so often Milano is not busy in August. Italians and Germans (the majority of visitors to Milano) etc prefer to have their summer breaks either at the beach or in the mountains. Asians and eastern Europeans prefer the more touristy cities eg Venezia, Roma, Firenze etc. so you shouldnt find Milano too over crowded in August.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 05:42 AM

Are you going in August?

The views in Lago di Como thrill me, and I was thrilled to stay in Varenna (on the train line) at the Eremio Gaudio with a beautiful view from my terrace (but you should take the ferry from there to see the view from Bellagio as well). Depending on the timing, to make part of the journey to and from Varenna by ferry (train to Varenna, but when leaving take ferry to town of Como, and train from there).

I also enjoy visiting the Isola di Madre, one of the 3 Borromei Islands off the shoreline in Stresa in Lago Maggiore. The palazzo on the Isola Bella is also extremely attractive.

But one problem with planning for just one night on a lake is that if it rains, the enjoyment of outdoor activities is gone and there is little else to do there.

I thrill to many aspects of Verona, which is filled with things to enjoy and which is a very pleasant place to stroll.

Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 05:48 AM

Milan was never on our short list of places to visit in Italy but one of our trips involved departing from there so we decided to add two nights in Milan. A friend had raved about it so we thought we'd give it a go. I was charmed.

Yes, it was August and not terribly busy but there was plenty to keep us entertained: the Last Supper, the Duomo, the castle, window shopping, the Peck stores, and some of the best food I had in Italy. Who knew polenta and spinach could be so good? Or a roast beef sandwich with lemon slices?

Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:01 AM

For me it would have to be Lake Como and a visit the heavenly Villa Balbienello!

Worth traveling to Italy just to see this stunning place!

Enjoy your hols!

M.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:07 AM

I should add reading some of the above that Milan thrills me too, not only its duomo, da vinci and food, but the Pinoteca Ambrosiana, one of the most enjoyable smaller museums in Italy with an eclectic collection.

I'm not sure I'd thrill to be there in August, but I'm still not sure when you are going.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM

ttt
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your kind responses. Going in mid-September. Met a friend today who was suggesting Verona Zeppole. What did you like about it?
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:58 AM
rex

Two comments...

<< For me it would have to be Lake Como and a visit the heavenly Villa Balbienello!>>

Readily agree - - but to find info on Villa <b>Balbianello</b> the correct spelling will be useful...

http://www.fondoambiente.it/en/beni/...propreties.asp

and...

&lt;&lt; Going in mid-September. &gt;&gt;

Conceivably, &quot;mid-September&quot; encompasses everything from about Sep 7.. to, say... Sep 21

Which means that you need to take into consideration that the Monza Grand Prix is Sep 12-13-14. Wipes out hotel speace for 50-100 miles around, especially around Lake Como. For much of the week before. Not so bad if you are just looking for one room; I rant into this looking for four rooms, some years ago - - and had to choose from a rather short list of availability.

You're down to _very_ late, now...

Best wishes,

Rex