Reload this Page >

from milan to lake como/varenna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:53 PM
susan

Just read a posting from someone who's planning just one day around Lake Como. I'm considering the same as a first stop after landing at Malpensa, rather than immediately taking the train to Florence. Someone recommended I hop the train to Como and stay at a small hotel Albergo Firenze a few blocks from the lake and train station. Is this the best use of our time (no car)or should we take a train further to Varenna and spend one night there? I think it's about a 50min train ride back to Milan?<BR>thanks for suggestions!!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:33 PM
don

Have never been to Varenna but Lake Como was wonderful. We took train from Milan, spent the day and returned to Milan. Wish we had had more time to take at least one boat ride to an island. So I would stay over and have extra time

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:26 AM
Howard

If you are talking about going to Lake Como from Malpensa, I don't believe there are any trains from there. You'd have to take bus. There is, however, train service from Como and Varenna to the city of Milan. It's about 40 minutes by train from the city of Como to Milan.<BR>The Lake Como area is definitely worth a visit. Whether you should go there really depends on the rest of your trip plans!

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:44 AM
Sue

We did a day trip from Milan to Como by train and then took the ferry to Bellagio for lunch and shopping. We were back in Milan in time for dinner. It's very doable in a day. The ferry ride was wonderful and relaxing after days of sightseeing.

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:52 AM
Ken

If you do this trip, take the city bus at least one way Como/Bellagio and the ferry the other way. Sit on the side of the bus facing the lake; left side going up, right side going down. The scenery is great and the ride is too. The bus departs directly from the train station.

Old May 1st, 2002, 08:00 AM
Betsy

I love Varenna and think it is a wonderful place to ease into a new country and get over jet lag. It is quite small but has easy access to Bellagio. I would recommend taking the bus from Malpensa to the central train station and then the train to Varenna which is aobut 45 minutes and a pretty trip. I don't know if you can take the train from Malpensa to Varenna, I'm pretty sure you'd need to go into Milan first. Albergo Oliveto is a small, family run pensione that is inexpensive with a beautiful lakefront setting. There are more expensive and therefor more luxurious accomodations, but I love the family feel of Albergo Oliveto.<BR>Enjoy!