Lake Como or no?

Mar 28th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Lake Como or no?

My bro and I will be in Milan for two days in August. He wants to take one of those days to visit Lake Como. Is it really worth it or should we spend both days in Milan. I don't exactly what all we want to see in Milan besides the Last Supper and the Duomo (we definitely won't be shopping-were very budget travellers). What do you think? Thanks
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Depending on which part of the lake your bro is interested in...you can get to the "mid-lake" area (Varenna/Bellagio/Menaggio) in a little more than 1.5 hours by rail from Milan; frequent service back and forth to Milan.

To get to the city of Como at the southern end of the lake would take even less time.
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM
DAX

On a sunny day, Lake Como is definitely worth a visit in fact a must. As much as I like Milan for a practical stop, it's not that great for sightseeing. Make sure you make a reservation to view the Last Supper. My wife enjoys the shopping in Milan.
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Definitely go to Lake Como; it is gorgeous. A few hours is plenty of time for admiring the view, having lunch, and visiting one of the villas (if that interests you).
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Yes, go to Como one day. Milan is a big city, but you can see Duomo, Scala, Last Supper, Castelo Sforzeco (sory, I don't remember the correct name) in one day. I recommend also to go to Cemterio Monumentale (spelling??) - that have very beautiful monumets.

And the next day, Como - you can relax there and enjoy the views.
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:24 PM

One of the most enjoyable days we spent in Italy was when it was pouring rain and we rode the ferry all over the Lake. Even in inclement weather the views are fantastic.

With good weather, you can jump off and on, and it's even better.

The only reason we were in Milan was to stay overnight and fly back to the States. I regret that, and hope to get back and give it a view, but not sure if I would cut back on Como time to do it.

Jim

Mar 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Our Milan plans in May were simplified when I realized that the Da Vinci Code-ists had completely booked the Last Supper for the forseeable future ;-) You may have better luck than me with the Cenacolo's booking site
http://www.cenacolovinciano.org/

We're still looking forward to the visit, and I thought this NY Times walking tour was a great start:
http://www.nytimes.com/fodors/top/fe...FItaly%2FMilan
Mar 28th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

When I clicked on the link for the ticket bookings, there was an error on the page. I don't know if its just my computer or if that means its all booked or what???