3days in italy- help with itinerary

Jul 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

3days in italy- help with itinerary

Author: tuneday
Date: 07/08/2008, 04:03 pm
I need help with my itinerary please....I'm scheduled to be in arrive in Milan on 29th July morning through 31st July evening with my girlfriend. I have been to italy a few times in the past this will be her first trip.

How can I maximize our few days here...

This is what I have presently:
July 29th - drop bags off at the hotel and go around milan all day.

July 30th - Lake Como - I need suggestions on what to do in lake como for the day. where are the must see places/towns around....

July 31st - we have a late flight back to london but our schedule is free all day.

Also thought of maybe going to venice on the 30th and como on the 31st before rushing back to the airport for a late flight??...any suggestions

Your suggestions will be of great help.

Jul 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM

From your other post, we learned your flight details:

Flight --> London Stansted (STN) to Milan (Bergamo) (BGY)

At a quick glance, for so few days you plan to spend a lot of time on trains. For your Como excursion, did you plan to return to Milan for the night? You might maximize your time by training to Varenna-Esino, which will put you at the most scenic part of Lake Como after a 90-minute train ride.

For this short time, I would pick one hotel location. For any daytrips I would want to travel no more than two hours away. I would not make a lengthy daytrip (Venice) on the day that I needed to travel 3 hours to reach an airport--anything might happen to ruin those plans.
Jul 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Milan is likely to be hot and dead. Instead, I would go to Verona. It's not that far.

If you're flying into Bergamo, go to Bergamo!

If it's ghastly hot, join the Italians up in Bardolino (on Lago di Garda) to eat ice cream.

Varenna (on Lago di Como) would indeed be a pretty destination.

There is a lovely hotel in Varenna called Ermio Gaudio, that's like a little secret hideaway, but you can walk to the dock and take boats to other towns.

I would think two romantic nights on the lake would beat dashing about in the heat, and be cheaper than all those train tickets.
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Milan, Como, and Venice in two nights is way too much. After exploring the heart of Milan, I would spend both nights in Bellagio or Varenna, from which you can cruise around for mid-lake Como, which is the prettiest part.
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

We have an hotel reservation in Milan already for both nights so will be returning from lake como back to milan.

Nothing is finalized yet...pls keep the suggestions coming....
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Therefore, if you're departing from Bergamo, why not spend the last day in Bergamo? There's an interesting art collection there, as well as Bergamo Alta, the scenic quaint old town on the hill.

http://www.apt.bergamo.it/L_inglese/home_inglese.html

From Bergamo you will have an easy hop via taxi or shuttle bus to the airport:

http://www.sacbo.it/Editorial/newsCa...ditorialID=171
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM

For your day in Como I would suggest you just get there and get to the ferry dock and take the next ferry on the lake whereever it goes, look around at the destination, get on another ferry, and repeat. The various towns on the lake are lovely as is the ride. And the best views IMO are from the lakeside not the road side so it really isn't any advantage to rent a car.
Jul 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

@ ellenem - thanks for the suggestion. I didn't think of spending the day at Bergamo but it sounds like an excellent idea.

Do you know if there are luggage rack around Bergamo? Since we would have checked out of our hotel in the morning.
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:01 PM

I suggest you change your hotel reservations. I'm a huge fan of Milan, but why not just stay in Bergamo?

Jul 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM

According to this recent post at Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._Lombardy.html

there's no luggage storage in Bergamo proper. The poster recommends taking your luggage to the airport (you could do this directly from Milan) where you can check it and then taking a short bus trip into Bergamo for the day.
Jul 8th, 2008, 10:38 PM

I agree with Zeppole. Forget Milan. See Bergamo. See Varenna and Bellagio. Fly home.

Good luck finding hotels.
Jul 9th, 2008, 01:55 AM

Hi TD - I too would forget Milan.

You can reach Lake Como easily by train direct from Bergamo (e.g . Varenna via Lecco).
http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

Steve
Jul 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM

Just to clarify: I'm not necessarily suggesting they "forget Milan." Depending on their interests, a day trip to Milano might be great. (I really enjoy Milano.)

I'm just saying that since they are using an airport that is much closer to Bergamo, they should base in Bergamo for such a short trip.

I've never been to Bergamo, but I know others who have find the upper town wonderfully atmospheric.

http://images.google.com/images?q=be...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Jul 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all the have contributed. You have all been helpful.

Update - I cancelled our hotel reservation in Milan and we will set up base in Bergamo. Any suggestion on an hotel in Bergamo?
Jul 9th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Is this hotel Una Hotel Bergamo
close to the train station?
Jul 9th, 2008, 08:12 AM

The Una Hotel is nearer the airport. I've stayed at a Mercure hotel near the train station, but I preferred the Hotel Piazza Vecchia in the alta citta.

And, just to clarify, I am saying you should skip Milan. You're on the ground less than 60 hours. You're arriving and departing from an interesting town. Varenna and Bellagio are within reach. A perfect introduction to Italy for your girlfriend.
Jul 9th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

@Truax - thanks for the hotel suggestion. Do you think she will be able to do a few shopping in Bergamo? that is the only reason we are going up to Milan. if yes, then Milan is out of the plans.
Jul 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Orio, the biggest shopping center in Italy is connected by a walkway to the Bergamo airport. Not my thing, but it probably has more shopping than what you could see in a whole day in Milan. I'm not sure, but it may be closed on Sundays.
http://www.oriocenter.it/index.php/oriocenter_en

There's also a Trussardi outlet (leather goods) in Alme, less than 10 km. from Bergamo. There may be other shopping like this out of the city, but you'll spend precious time getting there and back.

The Bassa Citta (lower town) of Bergamo has good shopping too, and there's a much higher charm factor to shopping in the town.

Of course, still more shopping in Bellagio.
Jul 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM

i think if shopping is important to your girlfriend, let her indulge her whims. It may be that she wants the outlets and cheap prices, rather than the fun of seeing the boutique stores of Milano. But some people want to see the famous Milano shops themselves, which display the latest fashions.

I am not a shopper, and I'm not at all waving a flag for Milano, but let her choose. I'm sure she can find out what she needs to know searching the internet and asking around. You won't have any trouble getting to Milano if you want to go. Have fun whatever you decide.
Jul 10th, 2008, 01:55 AM

I wouldn't go to Milan, is likely to be too hot!

Bergamo might have better climate conditions and is also very nice to visit.

Once in Lake Como, I'd suggest to go to Bellagio "La perla del Lario" (the Pearl of Lake Lario, better known as Lake Como).

Bellagio is situated in a privileged position on Lake Como, on the tip of the promontory which separates the lake into two branches, forming the Como branch to the west and the Lecco branch to the east.

The most ancient part of Bellagio occupies that area at the end of the promontory and is known as the Borgo. The Borgo is a picturesque combination of stairways lined with colourful shops with the finest quality merchandise and nice restaurants. Numerous little characteristic suburbs are scattered both along the lake and the hilly slopes above the Borgo.

Bellagio is a strategic starting point for seeing the entire lake.

Venice, in my opionion it's too far away and you should spend at least 2 days for a good "exploration"

I would instead go to Lecco, but using an unusual itinerary:

something which is really worthy is PIANI RESINELLI where you would visit the ancient iron mines, or just go for a walk to the marvellous PARCO DEL VALENTINO, a breathtaking walk through a wood of astonishing beech trees, with stops at BELVEDERE,FORCELLINO and COLTIGNONE.

I'm curious to know what youn think.

Hope it helps!

Valeria

Search this Thread