Search

Lake Como area

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Como area

We are deliberating over our choices of Menaggio, Bellagio and Varenna. We want the "action" of Bellagio, but from what I have read, it is somewhat of a tourist trap.Menaggio sounds great, maybe more tranquil, less expensive,etc, and I do believe that Varenna may be too small. We are looking for a hotel somewhat luxurious, with a pool and tennis courts on or nearby the premises. Our max amt is 200 Euros with breakfast. Any suggestions? We have seen them all on the internet. Many thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:32 PM

You do not tell us the primary variable--will you have a car? With a car I often suggest Menaggio---just more convenient and a chance for day trips into CH. If by train then Varenna gets my vote. Having said that, I like the Grand Hotel Menaggio for location and ambiance.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You want a hotel in Menaggio, Bellagio or Varenna with a rate of no more than 200 euros, a pool and tennis courts on-site or nearby. You say you've "seen them all on the internet."

Perhaps it would be easier for us to help you decide which town if you tell us the hotels you've already identified that fit your criteria.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

We will have a car, but due to all the forums that we have read about the trecherous roads, we were planning to drop it off in Como. Perhaps we should keep it then. It is not a problem. The Grand Hotel Menaggio has been 1st on our list for a week, and they seem to have everything, especially the price being quite right. Thanks. Any more info?
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 05:45 AM

The road is not bad at all--just the interior road to Bellagio is bad.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And "bad" is certainly a personal opinion. IMO, the road up the peninsula to Bellagio is well-paved with lots of twists and turns and beautiful scenery. Unless you've never driven a mountain road and don't intend to start now, you'll have no problems. Have a good map and take your time.

If you want a car but are not up to taking the direct route to Bellagio, you can drive to either Menaggio (preferable) or Varenna and take the car ferry to Bellagio. You don't NEED a car to have a great time in mid-Lake Como, but you shouldn't be afraid to drive in the area.

The GH Menaggio is a lovely hotel in a nice spot on the lake. If you keep the car, make sure whatever parking fees there might be do not push their quoted rate over your budget limit.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Just be aware that the road on the Menaggio side of the lake is two lane and can get completely blocked if there is an accident or something, especially in summer with heavy traffic. The other shore (Varenna) has a highway as well as the shore road and is also well served by trains. You can also take boats all over the lake.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

living & travelling in Italy:
www.beginningwithi.com
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM

In agreement with others---I stayed at the Grand Hotel Mennagio years ago and it was perfect. Loved the area and the price was very reasonable for what it was. My brother and sister in law have rented an apartment in Varenna and are there now. They don't have a car and liked the conveniece of the train, boats, etc.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. We have our decision made, and you have all helped tremendously. Have a great summer wherever your travels made lead.
Ciao,
Witchy Woman