La Calcina, Venice

Search

La Calcina, Venice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Calcina, Venice

I sent an inquiry today for September of next year. I am very upset, the hotel is already sold out for the tome frame I needed. I heard so many great things about this hotel from many of you on this site. Can anyone reccommend another place for Venice? Thank you.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM
britomart

Holy crap, are you sure they knew you meant 2006? When I stayed there in September 2003, I called a week before I arrived. I know that I got lucky, but jeez, they're booked a year in advance? I'd double check with them.

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me. I booked Palazzo Bocci in Spello for September 2005 in September 2004. I wanted four nights, but could get only three because the last night was sold out.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Three of my email requests regarding places for next summer came back with "sorry, already booked". When I emailed them again making sure they realized I was talking about 2006, all three came back "oh, yes, that's fine."
Are you sure they are aware?
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Some hotels do better over the telephone than with email reservations. That said, I do not believe they are entirely booked up a year ahead. And sure if it *is* true, we can come up with some other good suggestions for hotels, not to worry.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:28 PM

ask at locanda Art Deco, a small charming hotel near campo Santo Stefano, I was this hotel on my internet search the last year.
the website is www.locandaartdeco.com.
C.N.Y.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 05:21 PM

We stayed at Locanda Art Deco in 2003 and were very disappointed. Part of the problem was that we were on our honeymoon and had stayed in a castle and in a fabulous room in Positano prior to our arrival in Venice...so it was a bit of a let down. But much of the disappointment was due to the hotel itself.

The room was *tiny* as was the bathroom (so tiny it was hard to turn around), and everything inside was very dated and seemed dirty. The hotel made a mistake about what room we were in upon checkout and overcharged us by nearly 200Euro. They could not reverse the charge and finally agreed to pay me back in cash for their mistake (after a pretty heated argument). The hotel locks up at night and the night guy sleeps during his shift without his pants on (we actually had to wait for him to put on his pants when we arrived one night). And finally...we requested a wake up call for our early a.m. departure and I had a bad feeling about it and set our own alarm. We never got a call and we were so thankful we had a backup plan otherwise we would have missed our flight!

We went back to Venice for our 2nd trip last year and stayed at Locanda Orseolo...talk about polar opposites! We loved it so much we're going back for another visit again this year.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Locando Orseolo (I'm glad someone posted because I couldn't remember the name) is the other Venice hotel that consistently get the greatest reviews here on Fodors besides La Calcina.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:13 AM

One reason why this hotel is already sold out with a year in advance might be that at the beginning of September in Venice there is the International Film Festival (which is taking place right on these days). Of course the actors stay in the most beautiful hotels, but think of all the people from the press and photographers from around the world, and not only tourists.
Hotel I can suggest: La Forcola