Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Krka Park or Plitvice National Park from Trogir?

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - we will be staying in Trogir for 3 nights in September 2009 and we want to do a bit of touring. We would love to go to Plitvice National Park (we found it is possible to go from Trogir, however, it will be a long drive). Is it worth the long drive? Or is Krka National Park (shorter drive) just as nice? I've hear Plitvice is a must see in Croatia. Would we be disappointed settling for Krka?
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:11 AM

Hi TravelbugCarrie, cannot address Krka National Park but I would say Plitvice is not a good day trip from Trogir. I assume you would want to walk in the park and that does call for a pretty full day, even when you take the shorter of the suggested walks. We were just there (September is the perfect month in my opinion) and there were still pretty good crowds. See the beginnings of our trip reports, which I am slowly working on. I think it is the post Croatia trip report-day one. We did not research Krka at all but I imagine it is beautiful if it is in Croatia. We loved the country and the people. Have fun planning.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:14 AM

Sorry, I don't have the Plitvice portion posted yet. Will get it posted tonight.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 03:51 AM

I've visited both Krka and Plitvice national parks and Plitvice is without any doubt the more beautiful one. It's also a popular day trip from Zagreb. Zagreb-Plitice or Trogir-Plitvice is more or less the same distance. But considering the fact that you are in Trogir already, Krka is much closer. In that case you'll have time left for another sight nearby.
I would go for Plitvice though - it's unique.
http://www.croatiancrescent.blogspot.com/
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Do you know of a company that does a day excursion from Zagreb to Plitvice and returns on the same day? We are planning on being in Zagreb this July but only for a couple of days. Thanks in advance.
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
It took us exactly 2 hours and 45 minutes to drive from Trogir to Plitvice and about 3 1/2 hours to walk the lower and upper lake region, so it could be done as a day trip, albeit a tiring day trip. Personally, I thought two nights in Trogir was enough (and that included 1/2 a day in Split), so I would recommend two nights in Trogir and one night at Plitvice after your day of hiking. We all thought Plitvice was one of the more astounding places we have visited in the entire world.

Old May 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been to Krka, but I have hard time imaging it comes close to Plitvice, which is incredible. I spent two nights there, and the whole of the day between exploring the park, so I certainly wouldn't recommend a day trip. At least follow maitaitom's advice for one night.
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Banshee, get an early morning bus and return when you have seen beautiful Plitvice. Easily done in a longish day but so worth it.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:11 PM

Ditto maitaitom...just returned from two + weeks in Croatia. We stayed two nights and one full day in Plitvice. Did a leisurely 5 hours in the park walking from the lower to the upper lakes. One of the most amazing surprises is that you do not have to hike for a long time to have the wonder and the beauty hit you square between the eyes. Hubby, who has been all over the world and who never hikes anywhere stayed with me the whole 5 hours saying it was one of the most amazing places he has seen. Give the park its just dues...you won't regret it. Also, because we had the afternoon of the first day in the area free we drove to Slunj to see the waterfalls and the interesting traetine formations...also worth the time.
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM

Please go to Plitvice! It is absolutely amazing! Continuous "eye candy" for 5 hours straight! The walk is so easy and also rewarding! Spend the night, either before or after, We hiked first thing in the morning then drove to Rovinj. An easy day. Drove up from Split the previous afternoon. Spend the morning + in Split, then drive to Plitvice to sleep. Do the park first thing and then drive to your next destination.