Palermo and Taormina Sicily side trips.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are preparing for our wonderful vacation to Sicily.
We will be staying in Palermo for part of the trip, and Taormina the last part of the trip.

We plan on visiting Syracuse for a day trip. We will NOT be renting a car, and are looking for a day trip from Taormina. Any suggestions?

Trend Girl
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:39 AM

A Mt. Etna tour---the local travel agencies can book that for you. Here is my photo gallery from May 2005.

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3828
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:52 AM

I'm inferring that your day trip to Syracuse is not from Taormina? I believe it would be closer to Taormina than Palermo by train or by bus. Mt. Etna also from Taormina.

(ps-hope you are planning Monreale from Palermo!)
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

I love the photos Bob! Thanks for sharing, I know our trip will be wonderful, Italy is always a wonderful trip.

Syracuse will definitely be 1 of our day trips, when we arrive in Taormina (not from Palermo)We are just trying to co-ordinate what day will work best for us in Syracuse.

Yes........we are planning to visit MONREALE while staying in Palermo, and actually looking forward to Palermo itself.
Sicily has been on "my TO DO LIST" for a long time, so I am very excited about this trip.
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Palermo is a wonderful city. The good, the bad and the ugly. There is so much to do and see. Great street markets, the Archaeological Museum, and of course the bizarre Capuchin Catacombs. The food in Palermo is fantastic. Day trips are easy, like Monreale, Cefalu and the beach at Mondello. Sounds like you'll have a wonderful trip, and I'm sure you will find out how much Sicily has to offer, and you'll begin planning your next trip even before you leave.
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for feedback TravMimi. It is good to hear your opinion about Palermo. Everyone tells me the food in Palermo is Great.
We will definitley go to Cefalu, and if our schedule allows, I would like to visit Mondello.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:00 AM

If this reply is too late for you, apologies. A day trip, did you say 1 day? OK, Syracuse might be in your plans, but if you go there, you'll be spending at least 2 hours+ driving- ah, but you said you have no car! even more time making a connection with train, bus, etc. The recommendations to visit Mt Etna are much closer to hitting the mark. You are within minutes of the volcanic mountain, and it would be the most convenient. There are several bus tours that can be taken directly from the center of Taormina . . . Since you haven't said, I don't know if you have already factored in going to a beach area around Taormina. If you do, there are bus (taxi) trips to the beach areas close by, and Giardini Naxos is one the better spots.
Palermo? don't get me started. I think it is a delight -absolutely insane- but a delight. The restaurants are great, especially in the historic area of the city where you'll find a huge variety of foods. and, even if you don't visit a museum or a cathedral (which you will), just walking among the closely-packed neighborhoods is a treat in itself, seeing the shops and the people in the multi-cultural setting.
Sicily cannot really be described. You must experience it. Remember that even the locals say, "This is Sicily, not Italy." I suggest not scheduling too much for each day. Allow yourself to enjoy this wonderful place. Good luck and have fun.
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi "ZOLA" No............it is not too late, for your welcome feedback!
We will be leaving at the very end of the month.

I just know I will love Palermo, & will have so many things to do and see to fill our days and nights there.

As far as side trips go, we have a basic "game plan" now as to what we will definitely include:

From Palermo, our options will be very easy for us, as we will take a day trip Erice (there is a bus excursion we found)

After our stay in Palermo, we have decided to take the train from Palermo to Cefalu, stay in Cefalu for 1 night, then take the train to Taormina.

We originally considered taking a day trip from Palermo to Cefalu returning back to Palermo.
I wasn't so thrilled about checking in and out of 3 hotels for the trip.
But, after thinking about making the best use of our time, we thought Cefalu is on the way to our end destination of Taormina. Instead, after our Palermo stay, we will spend and entire day/night in Cefalu.The next morning after we have our wonderful Italian breakfast, we will check out of our hotel and go directly to the Cefalu train station en route to TAORMINA.

After we will arrive in Taormina from the train & changing trains in Messina (which I am not looking forward to) I think we will be done with more trains for this trip!

We are taking "Bob the Navigators" advise about taking the train instead of the bus to Taormina, after giving much thought about which would be "easiest" & least stressful taking into consideration the "suitcase" schelpping factor!

I doubt if we will be able to fit Arigento into this trip. It sounds wonderful, but not at the cost of spening time to really "know" Palermo.

When in Palermo, we will investigate if a day-excursion is possible to Arigento, that works in with the days we will be there.
If that can't be included we are OK with filling our days instead enjoying all that Palermo has to offer.
We look forward to having fabulous food experiences, walking all over the city & really "seeing" Palermo.

We will definitely visit Syracuse from Taormina. We will take a day "bus-tour excursion" to Syracuse, which will be fine for us.
We know that we can't do and see everything, but think that now we have a basic plan to see highlights that interest us the most. We are not going to visit Mt. Etna, we prefer to see Syracuse for a day instead.

We are planning to definitely relax and lounge by our hotel pool and visit the beach for at least 2 days while in Taormina.

Is anyone else visiting Sicily this Summer?
Trend Girl
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

ANOTHER QUESTION:
Is Ortigia, a close-walk from Syracuse? I hope we will be able to walk around this town, on our 'day visit' to Syracuse.

TravMimi.....Day trips from Palermo do seem so easy from what I have been reading.
We will definitely visit Monreale for an afternoon, and possibly see Mondello too.
I can't wait to eat all the wonderful food!
Trend Girl

Also.to the spelling Police.....sorry about "AGRIGENTO" incorrect spelling!
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I visited Sicily last year (click on my name for the TR) and definitely think you're right to choose Siracusa over Mt. Etna. Mt. Etna was a disappointment - very cold, very windy, and just a lot of hard-to-walk-on black ash. Sorry you won't have longer to spend in Siracusa, as I fell in love with Ortigia.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:32 AM

Ortigia is part of Syracuse - the nicest part !
No doubt your tour will take you there.
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Nice trip report thursdaysd. It shoulds like your trip was great.
I am sure we will enjoy the Siracusa trip even for 1 day. I have a feeling I may enjoy Ortigia even more then the actual Siracusa ruins.
I think we will enjoy "VIEWING MT. ETNA" from Taormina, instead of "hiking on Mt. Etna and instead, be in a chaise lounge.
I am starting to get excited about my trip,after reading this forum today!
Sicily can't come soon enough.
Trend Girl.
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that's a great decision, trendgirl! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, I thought Sicily was a very worthwhile destination (I should go back). Do try to make sure you have time to just wander around Ortigia on your own, to get the full atmosphere. And do make time for cannoli!!
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

You can be sure we will make "plenty of time" for CANNOLI.

As Clemenza said in THE GODFATHER.............."DON'T FORGET THE CANNOLIS!"