Can't decide... Krka or Plitvice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a free day and a half and just can't decide what to do! We will take the car ferry to Split mid-morning on a Friday. We need to be in Zagreb by Saturday night for an early flight out on Sunday. We are having such a dilemma with what to do during that time.

1. Stay Trogir for the night (sight see Trogir/Split) and then spend the next day at Krka National Park before driving the looong drive to Zagreb? Would it be about 5 hours?

OR

2. Meander our way to Plitvice, spend the night. Spend the day hiking around Plitvice and drive the 1.5 hours (or so) to get into Zagreb at a decent time? I’m leaning in this direction, but sad to miss out on seeing Trogir.

OR

3. Go directly from the ferry to Krka and spend a few hours at the park. Drive to somewhere (??) for the night that is on the way to Zagreb. I think it would be too long of a day to do all that and then drive all the way to Plitvice for the night. So the idea would be to wake up, make the rest of the drive to Zagreb. Perhaps a quick stop at Plitivice?

It is the very end of our trip, so we don't want to overdo it. But, we don't want to waste valuable time either! I’m literally paralyzed at the thought of this being our last couple of days. Please, does anyone have any ideas or comments??? Thank you so much!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM

Hello becnsteve!

We're in our late 40's early 50's, and we absolutely loved Plitvice Park -- such a unique, extraordinary, national park!

It was at the start of our trip which focussed on the southern dalmatia islands and coast.

In my opinion, it would be a restfull stop, at the end or beginning of a trip. I would not miss it, and I look forward to returning my next trip.

We were there this year, in early June.

We stayed at Bellvue which was a bit drab, but adequate. I enjoyed our porch off of the very small bedroom (the hotel needs renovation, badly). Next door was the Plitvice Hotel. Lovely, bright, modern, fresh, lively lobby with bars, tables, sitting areas, tvs, very cheerful -- all looking out on fabulous deep woods.

The big thing is the park. A 2-4 hour walk after 2 pm, and another before noon the next day is a great way to see enough of the park to want to come back for more. It is truly stunning. If there are just 2 of you, just let tour groups pass by, and you will find yourself quiet and alone for most of your "walk" --- it is not a hike. The trail is primarily boardwalk, and this is remarkable! Ask your hotel desk for "best routes" to "walk" (including boat rides...) and aim to walk in the direction that affords you continuous views of falls, so you don't get a crick in your neck. Take a bottle of water to sip, and a small bottle of wine (discreetly...) to toast your last night in Croatia, somewhere along the way.... Our first walk was the upper lakes area, and then the next morning was the lower lakes (more crowded...)

There is no "central town" atmosphere around or near the park. For example, there's no Gatlinburg... When you are there, in the park, three hotels, one major restaurant (very good...Lika luka...) and lots of forest, deep woods, and well, a few waterfalls, hah.

We did spend 3 nights in Trogir, on the waterfront boardwalk, and loved it very much. We biked for a day, and spent one day going to Primosten. Trogir can be seen in an hour or so, though you will not come to know its charm this way... I would save it for another trip. Trogir was a lovely part of our trip, but I wouldn't give up Plitvice Park. To me it was "The Grand Canyon" of Croatia --- Krka which we did not visit gets great reviews also, but I would guess that it is not as splendid as Plitvice.

Happy Travels, have fun no matter where you go.

Oh, I think it was about 4 hrs, nice drive to Plitvice from Split (but no need to stop and dilly dally along the way)--- so you might consider walking about the Diocletian Palace in Split, then head on to Plitvice... even if arriving too late to walk "far" that day. Walk Saturday morning and by 2 pm, head for Zagreb, where you have a good dinner and rest for night before Sunday am flight...
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for Plitvice. I spent two nights at the Plitvice Hotel, which was fine, and absolutely loved the park. The water is a stunning color, the place has more waterfalls than you can imagine, and it's easy to spend an entire day strolling around. Be prepared to take many, many photos.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:41 AM

Visit Plitvice, especially since you are headed to Zagreb anyway. Though I have not been to Krka, I cannot imagine it comes close to the magic that is Plitvice.
Check drive times at viamichelin.

At least pass through Diocletian's Palace while in Split. And I agree Trogir is lovely, but you will have seen similar towns in southern Dalmatia.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses.

4everywhere, a special thank you for your advice. I think we'll probably follow it to a T (including the sneaky bottle of wine). Leaving in 6 days, can't wait!
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 04:05 AM

Hello becnsteve

Yeah for Plitvice! Enjoy it!

And I agree with Yorkshire... Don't miss a walk through Diocletian Palace -- The "palace" front faces the modern, beautiful Riva. It is right there when you get off the ferry.

With your back to the water, there's ample parking towards the right side, along small streets, and in larger open areas that probably used to be "small plazas"... Purchase parking passes at little machines near any public parking, put the printed out pass on your dashboard, and walk towards and enter through Silver Gate (this is on the right side...) Depending on the day... there maybe open markets that you will have to walk through. Of course there are other "gates" that will get you inside the "walls".

Croatia is fabulous!

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:45 AM

What is anybody's advice on driving in Croatia? We are thinking of flying to Venice, stay a few days and then drive to Plitvice etc. Should we do it? Thank you.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:56 AM

bcn:

The first words I sputter whenever someone is going to Croatia:
"Don't miss Plitvice"....

Trogir is a lovely one day town...The newish super highway from Split to Plit to Zagreb, is one of Europe's best engineered and least traveled.

Enjoy Croatia!

Stu T.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:00 AM
pat

The only thing I didn`t like about Plitvice was it was wall to wall people. (I went in Sept.) But Plitvice was well worth seeing. Maybe if you are there earlier in the day, it wouldn`t be so bad.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:31 PM

Pat and Becnsteve:

On my most recent visit to Plit (April '05), there were very few visitors..however, on my first visit in 1980, (April), we were literally alone walking both the upper and the lower lakes...then again, there were very few foreigners visiting Yugolslavia in those days.

We stayed at the Hotel Jezero, room with a balcony view of the lower lake..rate two years ago was $80 for a king room (elevator, etc and very good restaurant).

http://www.np-plitvicka-jezera.hr/cp...amp;PageID=126

Stu T.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM

Hi Pat, I'm curious when in September you visited Plitvice & what time of day? DH & I will be in Slovenia from 9/13-9/26 & plan to spend at least one day there & perhaps an overnight the night before. (We know where we will be first 3 nights. They rest is flexible.) I wonder if one day of the week is better than another. I've read early morning or after 3pm is best.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

We just returned from our trip. I'm both tired and sad to be back! I owe a trip report. But, just wanted to say that we went to Plitvice and am so happy we did. We had a car, drove in the night before and stayed at a fabulous sobe (I'll follow up with the name in my report). We got off to what we thought was an early start for the park. We were disappointed to see the tour groups were already there when we arrived. As someone else said, the park is absolutely breathtaking. But, the tour groups almost ruined it for us (we had the same problem in Dubrovnik). It wasn't just the sheer number of people, it was also the attitude of the guides and the people on the tours (a rant that will be saved for my report). I was expecting things to be quiet since it was the second week in September. Not so. In fact, the hotels in Plitvice were full and we felt lucky to find our sobe. When we left the park, I lost count of the number of huge tour buses parked in every conceivable spot possible. Definitely plan on going early to avoid the hoards.

All in all, it was an amazing place and we were so happy we made the decision to visit. Having a car helped as we could stay in a sobe. Driving was no problem.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, how sad to hear about the crowds! I checked,and I was there in July of '04 - maybe going in the summer is actually better! I did have a little trouble getting a hotel room - had to reverse my itinerary - but that was because of an archery tournament (!). There were quite a few people around, but it wasn't inundated with tour buses.