Korcula accomodations crisis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Korcula on my itinerary for 2 days but I can't find a nice place to stay. We like character and older architecture and think we would like to stay near the old town.
The Hotel Korcula gets poor reviews . We dont want to arrive homeless..its not our style..plus we want a nice space with a terrace or views ...Any ideas...??I contacted the one private home that keeps getting recommended and never rec'd a response
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 05:54 AM

There are many accomodation services that can be found by googling. Another way is to google "Korcula" and "apartment." Finally, the Korcula homepage will have accomodation links.
The problem with older architecture/character is that you will be in old town, which probably means no terrace/view--and which can mean noise. Aim for the suburb just to the right of old town (when facing old town)--there are lots of homes converted to apartments there with AMAZING views of old town, the sea, and the mountain on the opposite peninsula.

What month are you arriving? What time of day? If not in high summer, there will be plenty of accomodations available. If you are not arriving in the evening, you can just go to the tourist office and describe what you want. It'll take less than 30 minutes.
Good Luck
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

We are arriving on June 23rd..just for 2 nights..

I have googled for apartments and scanned tons of apartments to no avail. The nicest were on the other side of the island...
When it says"korcula" vs "old town Korcula"..what does that mean..
We will have a car and can drive but we'd rather hike around on foot in our neighborhood..It's just a preference as we are from NYC..

The car is for day tours (not cocktail hr)

Is there another side of the island that is worth checking into?? Thanks
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Old town is just that--the "mini Dubrovnik" that people come to see. Korcula as a whole encompasses surrounding suburbs (all in walking distance) with modern houses that offer better views in my opinion.
You could consider Lumbarda since you will have a car, it's not far and is absolutely lovely (then you'd have to drive home if you have dinner in Korcula --though there are a couple of restaurants in Lumbarda.)
I've heard good things about Vela Luka (all the way across the island), but it wouldn't offer the historic quality Korcula does. Korcula is the highlight of the island, along with its natural beauty.
Here's an interactive map I've found really useful in planning day trips, as I'm planning a return to Korcula next month (I visited briefly in 2003, seeing Korcula and Lumbarda):
http://www.korculainfo.com/places_korcula.htm

Good Luck!
Here's a few accomodation sites in case you missed them:
http://www.korcula.net/firme/indexp.html
http://www.korculainfo.com/private_a...on_korcula.htm
http://www.apartment-korcula.com/kor.../Apartment.htm
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I'm headed to Korcula in mid-August with a family of four. Sounds like we're searching for the same type of house as you within a 10 minute walk to Old Town. Please let me know if you find anything. I'll do the same.
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Hi we went to Korcula last June and had our accomodation booked a couple of months in advance (recommendation taken from LP). Anyway we got there and knocked and knocked on the door (it was a private room - which I think is the best way to stay in Croatia) - anyway after 20 mins there was still no answer. We walked around and spoke to the neighbours - if they knew when the owners would be in - also it was hot and we had backpacks so we just wanted to crash. Turned out everyone had their own private room/apartment to rent out. We had our pick of places. We checked out 3 or 4 flats and chose the best one - right on the harbour with water views next to the old town. Brilliant! Far better than our original choice. I'd say don't stress too much about it. The places that get advertised the most are always full and inevitably not as good as some others - who don't get a look in because they aren't on some website or guidebook.
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Korcula is one place we're going to wing it. I have a list of possibilities, and agencies as well. After staying inside city of Trogir and Split, and just outsided of Hvar Town, we will know whether we want to be 'in" or "out" of all the town action. Will we want beach or will we want cobblestones and town bells? By that time, we'll know. Now, it is uncertain.

We'll be there mid June, so it is not the top of the season, so I'm comfortable just winging it.

Good luck to all.
J
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM

Check out our website for private accommodations in Korcula:

http://www.dalmatia.net/pages/destination.aspx?lid=71
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:06 AM

I agree that the area, the coves just past Korcula Town, "on the right" would be very very very beautiful. It seemed that every house had a sobe sign, and I can imagine that few of them are "on-line". We road bikes all along this road. If you are concerned that it is too long of a walk, rent a bike, and not a noisy scooter. However, after a couple of kms the road becomes a wee bit hilly... Still, the road is lush and green, the homes (sobes) and residential area very beautiful. The water is gorgeous!

We stayed on the other side, going towards Lombarda. We had a car, but we used bikes mostly to go into town (4 or 5 kms...) We stayed at Apartment Val -- well, actually next door, because of a reservation snafu...-- Tony and Maiya are fabulous people. We rented their little outboard motor boat to boat around the little islands off of Korcula -- a wonderful morning! They prepared a fabulous dinner for us and their guests, taken on their terrace overlooking the water as sailboats came into the cove to moor for the night, and as the sunset painted the hills, islands, and the mountainous peninsula pinks and purples. Their place is on a small cove, I think it's called Rascine...

We were there for two nights, but it felt like forever because it was so good! We loved Korcula. We loved all of Croatia!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:26 AM

I prefer www.rentadriatic.com
We stayed there for the last 4 years and we will be there again this summer.
There is all you need for your vacation.