Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
lol
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kampa island Prague-few questions

Hello all
I have a few questions about Kampa island for those who know Prague:
1-How can one get to the island by bus or tram.
2-can anyone suggest an eatery, preferably with nice view, for me and my mom to eat in after exploring.
3-Is there something, somewhere specific to look for or just stroll around.

Thanks so much
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a short walk to tram stops off the island. I don't think buses traverse any part of Kampa.

There is a cafe/restaurant at the Kampa Museum which faces the river. I have no idea of cost or quality.

Most of Kampa Island is a park, so other than the museum and the very small commercial area, it's an area just for strolling.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:49 AM
lol
Original Poster

Thnx Jean
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM

The easiest way to get to the island is to climb down to it from the Charles Bridge. This will leave you at the northern (I think) edge of the main plaza on Kampa Island.

There are trams that go to Mala Strana that stop 2-3 blocks from the Charles Bridge, then you go less than 1/3 of the way toward Old Town on the Bridge and climb down the steps to Kampa (the Island is under the Bridge -- check out the opening sequences of Mission: Impossible and you'll see). You could also go via some side streets and over a smaller bridge connecting Kampa with the west side of the city to save on stairs, but I never went that way.

The nearest tram stop is Malastranske Nameste/Namesty (sp?) and it's served by the #22 and 23 trams, which go through Mala Strana, New Town and the edges of Vinohrady so they cover some good ground for tourists. The Metro stop for Malastranska is pretty far away.

We ate at one of the hotel restaurants that had outside seating (U Zlatych Nuzek -- At the Golden Scissors) and it was in the middle of that central square on the island.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:50 PM
lol
Original Poster

Thanks so much BigRuss. Can I get there by Taxi, are taxis allowed on the island?
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:37 PM

taxis are allowed on the island ,but it really is not a big area or a separate island just sepatated by and area of the river and looking at it from charles Bridge or any other area it does not look like an island at all.It is a lovely quiet are in the center of the city lots of places to eat and drink in the local and very easy to walk to all the main sights or a short walk to the tram stops previously mentioned.
There is however some renovation works on Charles bridge right at the area where the steps lead down form the bridge to Kampa Island,looks a bit messy but you can access this area whithout any problem,I was ther a few days ago and was able to walk down from the Bridge at that point.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 05:55 AM

http://webcam.pis.cz/cz/malostranske...rluv-most.html
Just found this link,it shows Charles bridge and the work that is going on,just at the start of the canopied area are the steps down to Kampa park area.Kampa park stetches out on both sides of this area and you can see several of the buildings on this web cam,lovely place.
I was there last wek and Trying to get to the No1 bar of U Karlova Mostu an very nice bar/resturant that I can reccommend,but we got caught it a huge thunderstorm and tried to shelter under tha conopies you see,well the wind changed and we got soaked to the skin,far to wet to make any resturant and jsut went back to our hotel to change and eat at a resturant a few door from our hotel.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unclegus, those are nice webcam angles. The one showing Charles Bridge and Kampa Island is particularly nice.