Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What happened to the Early Morning TGV Dijon to CDG?!?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been counting on this train for months to get me from Dijon to the airport on the morning of my departure Aug 31.. Now that it is 3 months from the date, I find that it no longer exists after Aug 16. It leaves Dijon at 6:32 and arrives CDG around 8:20, perfect for my 11:30 flight back to Philly.

What are my other options???
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM

They have different schedules in the summer and other parts of the year. I never would have done something like that, yikes, stay in Dijon the day of a flight home in the morning from CDG. What if there were a strike or the train was late (I've had TGVs be late outside strikes).

If I were you, I'd get out of Dijon a day earlier. YOu really have little other choice. There is a train from Dijon to central Paris (gare de lyon) that arrives around 8:37, then you'd have to get there to CDG, which could take about an hour. I guess if you had no other choice, that would be the next best option.
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:55 AM

Well, I just went on the SNCF site to check that out and it told me it was too early to book - it's not 3 months in advance yet.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Christina for the assistance. I had several people on here tell me that you could set your watch to the reliable TGV trains...much more reliable than an airline. I'll get out of Dijon early and meander my way to CDG. Any ideas for that?

StCirq--- I know it's outside the 3 months, but the train disappears off the schedule the week before (is Aug 24, 25 etc).
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Well, the schedules do change at least a couple of times a year.

I once spent the night in Lyon before catching a flight home from CDG and I'll never do it again. The TGV was on time (I've experienced times when they're not, though), but there were such crowds at the shuttle bus at the airport that I had to wait for a third shuttle to get to my terminal. It was pretty panic-making. Never again for me.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM

European train timetables change twice a year, in June and in December. The most likely reason for the 06:32 train not showing up beyond 16 August is that SNCF hasn't finished loading the new timetables on its Web site. It's not likely that the train will not run beyond 16 August. Check the timetables every few days. I'll bet the train will reappear in a week or so.

However, if the train indeed has been canceled beyond 16 August, spend your last night in Paris. Taking a morning train to Gare de Lyon and then either the Air France bus, the RER, or a taxi to CDG gets you to the airport at best two hours before your flight leaves. A three-hour cushion is much safer for a transatlantic flight.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

If I travel from Dijon Aug 30 late to CDG, is there a convenient hotel to stay overnight?
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM

There's a Sheraton right IN the terminal, and a host of other hotels in the surrounding area that have shuttles to the airport.
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:32 AM

The Germain train site shows the 6:32 leaving on Aug 31. Coco posted something a few weeks ago about Dijon adding another afternoon train to CDG.

I've taken the 6:32 twice - with no problems at all. We also took one from Lyon to CDG with no problem - actually we woke up in Chambery that morning on the Chambery/Lyon/CDG route.

I still believe that the train on-time performance is better than the airline on time performance - so if you would be comfortable with a flight from Nice (for example) to CDG then to Philly - I think you would be comfortable with the Dijon-TGV to CDG to Philly connection. If you fly Air France all the way (Nice to USA), AF will probably put you on a later flight to the US if you miss the connection - if there is room. Non all AF flights all the way would not.

I have some close friends who took a taxi from Paris to CDG and missed the flight when they encountered a huge strike blockade on the route there. The taxi took the side roads, but still did not make it on time. I've witnesses several RER strikes too.

Once when we had an earlier fligh and the Dijon TGV would not get us there in time, we stayed at the Hotel Terminus - directly across from the Gare dy Lyon.

StCirq - couldn't you encounter the same crowds for buses on any terminal change?? I have - except when I've walked.

Just allow yourself 2 1/2 hrs min for the TGV to plane connection.

Stu Dudley
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM

It's really too early to panic about schedules this far from the departure date. SNCF has a service which might interest you. Called Alerte Résa they will contact you by email or SMS the minute tickets go on sale for your planned departure time:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/AlerteRe...0R%25C3%25A9sa
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM

The cheapest right-at-the-airport hotel is the Hotel Ibis Charles de Gaulle Aéroport/Terminal. It's located next to Terminal 3 and close by a stop for the free 24/7 CDGVAL driverless shuttle train that connects all the terminals.

A close by cheaper hotel is the Etap Hotel Roissy CDG Paris Nord 2. Like the Ibis hotel, it is part of the Accor chain. Accor provides free airport shuttle bus service.

For details on these hotels, go to www.accorhotels.com. Enter Roissy as the town for which you wish to find hotels. There will be several Ibis hotels and several Etap hotels listed and some are closer to the airport than others. Be sure to pick the right one.
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

All very helpful info. You guys are like an encyclopedia at ones fingertips. (If you remember encyclopedias).
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Pff you scared me when I read the title of your posting! 3 weeks ago I had written that they had added an extra TGV at 17h to CDG. It was not to remove the morning one!
Enjoy your stay in Dijon!
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

coco-->> Not to scare you, but there is no 6:32 weekday train from Dijon to CDG after Aug 24...unless someone can point it out to me, on voyages-sncf.
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Wait and see like TimS said... I'm confident they will be back. I noticed the same thing last year when I wanted to book a TGV to Marseille mid august.
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM

I could not find it either - only the afternoon train. However, the morning train for Saturday 8/29 (and I assume Sunday too) is still on the schedule.

Stu Dudley
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:12 PM

It is back! I've just checked and it is 20€ 2nd class and 31 1st class (don't wait!)
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM

A couple of years ago, I had your same idea for an 11:30 plane from CDG. I ended up leaving Dijon the day before, staying at the Holiday Inn near Gare de Lyon (I got a terrific price on-line at their site). The Air France Bus stop was a very short walk from the hotel in the A.M. I always take it if I'm staying anywhere the Gare Montparnasse, as it is quite reliable and inexpensive. I would never stay anywhere near the Gare de Lyon, except in this case, though. I have also stayed at the Marriott Courtyard at the airport several times. It's very nice and has a nice restaurant, but isn't cheap (I was able to get it on Priceline once). Also, got a great deal on Priceline for the Airport Hilton.

I really don't think I would chance the train the same day as flight. I've had strike problems, and that is very nervewracking. The TGVs usually run, but you never know for sure.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM

>>I really don't think I would chance the train the same day as flight. I've had strike problems, <<

I've had strike problems too - Luftansa last July connecting to a United Flight. Like I stated earlier, the TGV is probably a lot more reliable than an airplane.

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Coco/Sara, Sue and Stu (sounds nice, no?)
You've all been very helpful.
Coco and Sara for your confident reassurance that the train would show up on the schedule.
And Sue and Stu as the guradian angels on my shoulders whispering in my ears...Stu: Trust the TGV (train on the day of flight AND Sue: Don't trust the TGV (train the day before the flight)...aahhhh. can't decide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -