Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just returned from Prague....I think its overrated

Aug 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Prior to booking my vacation to Europe, i heard a lot of great things about Prague, so to my husband and i it was no brainer to check out what Prague was all about.. To our surprise we were dissapointed. The town was dirty and we didn't have great experience with the people. We also visited Vienna and Salzburg, and maybe I comparing it to them and that is why we didn't like it so much.
Aug 30th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Oh my gosh! I thought it was beautiful.
Aug 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder!
Aug 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM

maybe so (you were comparing it to others you liked). Obviously, a very personal opinion as I love Prague and think it is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe and not particularly dirty on the scale of large cities. I have particular interests there regarding history and music, though, so didn't approach it as just a tourist spot I picked because I'd heard things about it, but still. In my opinion, it is far better than either Salzburg or Vienna. Salzburg was fine for what it was, but comparing it to a great city like Prague is out of balance, in my opinion. I think Prague is as beautiful, or even more, than Paris.
Aug 30th, 2007, 12:56 PM

I'm sorry but I disagree with Christina totally. I like Prague but I do not necessarily think it is "better" than anywhere else.

So, you didn't like it as much as some people do. Big deal. That does not mean you are in any way, shape, or form, wrong, misguided, stupid, etc., etc., etc. Or that you didn't "approach" it in the "correct" way...IMO.
Aug 30th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Everyone has different preferences.

I don;t expect any large city to be "clean" - they're just not.

What Prague offers is:

One of the very few major cities in central europe that has an old town not destroyed in WWII

An amazingly active (and inexpensive) music scene - of all types

We found numerous true quality restaurants at prices less than half of major cities in western europe

A long history of cultural and religious diversity unmarched in most of europe - until the Nazis invaded (We found the Synagogue and exhibits incredibly moving)

Plus- that is part of my heritage - and fascinating for that alone

And while I find Salzburg charming - it;s more a town than a capitol city. And I've always found Vienna very triste - a little trapped in fin de siecle - although certainly interesting enough.
Aug 30th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Wow. Prague is one of my favorite cities. So sorry your experience was less than favorable. Sometimes it pays to give a destination another try. I hope you will, and I hope you'll have a different experience next time.

Vienna and Salzburg are just so different from Prague. I love both of those, too, but Prague tops the list.
Aug 31st, 2007, 09:51 AM

t
Aug 31st, 2007, 10:33 AM

That's ok, lana81, my husband doesn't like Rome for similar reasons (almost blasphemy on Fodor's)
Aug 31st, 2007, 11:12 AM
carolinetaylor

I found Prague to be an absolutely beautiful city and fell in love on first sight.

But i understand how you can find a city over rated. Although i don't think that this is true of Prague i have similar feelings of Paris and i've been there 3 times so i've given it a good go.

Everyone has different perspectives and favourites its not a bad thing.

Aug 31st, 2007, 11:30 AM

I just don't mind rates...maybe that's why I've never been deceived...
Aug 31st, 2007, 12:09 PM

I'm just getting ready to go to Prague at Christmas. Maybe if my expectations are set low, I'll be pleasently surprised.

I'm not a big fan of Rome or NYC either, but I'm glad I saw them. Seeing something you're not crazy about sets the plate for seeing things you really do get excited about. Seeing how graffiti-ridden and dirty Munich has become makes my forays out into the Bavarian countryside all the more enjoyable.
Aug 31st, 2007, 12:54 PM

Sorry to hear that you did not like Prague. I suppose you went in August, which is hot/humid. More importantly, this is the season in which backpackers from all over the world roam in Europe and most locals flee towns for their summer vacation. Good restaurants normally patronized by locals close for almost the entire month and lousy tourist traps remain open. So, any city in Europe may be filthy and unpleasant in August.
Aug 31st, 2007, 02:28 PM

I agree with Barkinpark. Summer makes any place intolerable.
Aug 31st, 2007, 02:58 PM

I was in Prague in Aug of '04, and thought it was indeed overrun with tourists (not noticeably backpackers), but locals told me it had been that way since Easter. I thought the buildings interesting, but since the city is now firmly on the "cheap European flight" circuit, and popular with European party types, I don't plan to return.

No reason not to visit if you've never been, but I'll be returning to Budapest and Vienna on my next trip, not Prague.
Feb 21st, 2011, 04:12 AM

100% true. Prague is overrated.
The town is dirty and I didn't have great experience with the people.
Feb 21st, 2011, 04:21 AM
ira

Hi la
>Just returned from Prague....I think its overrated<
"chacun à son goût"

Feb 21st, 2011, 04:22 AM
ira

Hey L,

There was absolutely nothing in Prague that appealed to you?

Feb 21st, 2011, 04:38 AM

We were also underwhelmed by Prague. We were glad we experienced it's beauty and enjoyed some good beer and food but after 3 days wished we had moved on to Budapest which we originally thought of doing. I think Prague is a good short stay destination city.
Feb 21st, 2011, 06:27 AM

Disneyland is a lot "cleaner".

It doesn't have all those centuries of dirt and grime.

And the buildings are all modern!

What's more, there are far fewer furiners talking furin languages.

And, it's easier to find a place with a good hamburger, whose menu isn't cluttered with furin foods.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO