Search

just back from Rome Italy 18 hours non stop walking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just back from Rome Italy 18 hours non stop walking

here is my schedule

(visited in 48hours : rome, vaticancity, tivoli, napels, vesuvius, pompei)

* arrived at 20h00 /didn't sleep, just visited the city for 7 hours ROME BY NIGHT

* took the train 5o clock to 8o clock NAPELS went to VESUVIUS and afterwards to POMPEI

* got back to ROME, slept 1 night, got up at 5o clock again, went to TIVOLI , afternoon visited ROME FOR 18 HOURS <-----non stop, and well so I had in like 4 days (arrive 1st day at 20h00 and leave 4th day at 10o clock)
= in fact 2 days
----------

in 48 hours I did :

1 ROME 7hours + 18hours ROME
2 NAPELS
3 VESUVIUS
4 POMPEI
5 TIVOLI
6 VATICANCITY also !

------------- not bad I think
who said vesuvius OR pompei ;-)

when you have the plan, and don't sleep, you can do all you want , the trick here is

SLEEP 1 NIGHT
WALK 1 NIGHT
SLEEP 1 NIGHT
...etc

thanks ROMA, great city !

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Amazing!!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Impressive Aquadigio! And my husband thinks I don't stop on vacation! I have to forward him your schedule!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:55 PM
ira

Good for you, aqua

Would you mind my asking, "Why did you do this"?

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

long post on the WHY and some more indepth information about the schedule
------------

why ? because I'm not guilty rich I guess Instead of spending 1 time 500euro I probably survived it with about 250 euro (and we were with 2), so I can go again or see another country.

why ? because it is stupid to go on vacation, to sleep and sit on the terrasses and restuarants, I have just slept 16 hours in my own bed when I got back.

why ? because I don't see a neartime return to Italy,Rome, still have to do other countries and stuff.

why ? time is 'money' , so spend the time wisely... and also we WALKED because ROME only has 2 main metros (i don't like busses, so never used metro in rome, metros in rome or good for the trip outside rome and stuff,not for intern --> better walk = you see more.

some more talking about how I did it, will be later on this year I guess, first I'm waiting for the pictures, so that I can remember what I have all seen.

1st night
The trick first night, was we arrived at 20o clock, it is a shame, to go to a youthhostel/hotel and start sleeping, so I wanted to see Rome, and did the first walk of 7 hours... -> first time in every city is messy, so we had to find some keypoints, to start knowing the city, girlfriend tired by the morning, solution : take a LONG TRAIN TRIP and SLEEP ON TRAIN --> that was the Napoli part (took the SLOWEST AND thus the CHEAPEST train 3 1/2 hours instead of normal 2 1/2 hours, stop train)

2nd day/1st day effictive
did the Napoli area, vesuvius and pompei -< as soon as it is back clear, the tiredness is gone and you just have 24 hours awake, it is not that hard, (we ate and drink on train, own food, and had 3 hours to recover) so then vesuvius and maybe adrenaline, the thing seeing more and more and more, just keeps you going

2nd night/ we knew we can't be awake 2 times 24 hours, so wew ordered this youthhostel 20$ a person breakfast included, arrived there about midnight and slept up to 6h30 , took breakfast

3rd day/ 2nd day effective

we took the train to VILLA DESTE in the morning -arrived back in Rome by 12o clock noon- (train 7 o clock rome - 8o clock ESTE) opening 8h30 time frame 3 hours, train back, arrive rome around noon.

tired again, rested 1/2 hour on the perron, and then the enlighting, the adrenaline came back.... started this tour in Rome <- didn't see a lot of rome unless 1st night

did all the not lighted spots for the pictures, went at the farest spots (vatican) and it was 18o clock when we had done all the things on the road to vatican, and then slowly moved back, in a slang way road (will scan the map, i have marked our walking route)

in the evening, we knew the trip is over the next morning -> flight back home, so it is again stupid to sleep, we walked another 6 hours... (I had one moment around 1 o clock that I was tired, luckely since we where with 2, i asked girlfriend, she was NOT tired (slept more on the trains and stuff -> I needed to calculate and find the things, more exhausting) so I slept again 1 hour on a bank in the city, at the Place di Populi or sth, tourist and locals, find it strange, when you sleep like a clochar, beggar lol but girlfriend was there to keep an eye on the situation.

I smoked some sigarettes, drank a 1/2 litre of coca-cola, and ate a lot of chocolate (sugar sugar sugar and cafeine trick)

Was not tired anymore, slept like a child on the airplane back home, the trains sleeping, and home sleeping

a wonderfull experience, I'm glad people don't respond, like you are poor, you are crazy and stuff, I'm sure a lot of people (eg. without kids) can have some intresting ideas about the method I did it

Conclusion I'm very satisfied, I think I have done the most possible in that timeframe... would be exhausting to keep this rate of visiting for longer than 4 days IMO, I was glad I could go home

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Well - if that's your idea of a vacation - go for it.

To me - it sounds more like the Bataan death march.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

lol yeah you are one who likes laying down at the beaches for a week or two well if that is your way of a vacation, i can do it 2 months non stop in my own country.

other possibility, you like to go for a fancy restaurant, if that is your way of spending your dollars, go for it, i never paid more than the price of goods, probably some kind of dumb investor that buys on tops as well... go to the

Ritz in Paris, and buy some parfume for 5000$ for 10ml, can afford such still as well if you don't mind, but the fact is that I prefer that my money works for me... so don't try to mix the situation here.

The fact is that I want to see every country on the globe (= 150+ countries) that is a lot of dollars for all the flights and spending time there, do your own homework to calculate how much.

This is just a way to spend time in entire Europe, will see how the American and Asain part develops.

For the meanwhile next stop could be eg. Mekkah (seems as great as paris and france) before the big step to Asia

America will probably the last in the list, because it is a country ... well hmm, I wait for a 2:1 euro.dollar and better lol

Tighten your budget deficit my friend. Didn't ask for your opinion in the first place.

Maybe you are jalous that I can walk 150 km, about 300 miles non stop in 30 hours, and yes, I did that as well, as a mather a fact i did the 100km/200miles about 25 times ( deathmarch bornem for example) but that is obviously beyond your part.

The advantage of that condition is that you can transfer the walking distance to any part of the world you want to see.

Never thaugt of spending 7 days in a hotel in your own city ??? why go on vacation for a hotel and restaurant, we have plenty of restaurants in our city/country

Opinions vary, so, but I RESPECT your choice ofcourse.

www.dodentocht.be for the deathmarch (did it three times)

there is a huge difference between the death march and the rome experience

spending 20 euro 30 dollar on tha gilda in rome, seems more waste of money to me,

especially if you know, like i saw,that the most beautiful women and men, don't enter the place, but make their own party with about 200 cars+ on a rotonde in a suburb of rome, near villa borghese for the intrested once, go up from place populi or when at top of spanish steps go to the left, end of road, you find 2 roads, but the cars should normally show you the way...

another thing that is not in the books nor in your fancy restaurant or hotel, but hey, as a mather a fact i would prefer to spend rome always at night and sleep during the day, that is not the problem,

rome is much more beautiful at night than during the day
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Aquadigio, you are one heck of a traveler! Glad to read your trip report and glad I wasn't with you, though I did some similar hauls in my younger days. I can't do without sleep so I would sleep in my seat on overnight trains.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 12:58 PM

aquadigio, what country do you live in? You have a lot of travel plans and dreams, that is great. A lot of stamina too! I am a great walker but for sure I could never have walked as much as you did. And yes, Rome is so beautiful at night!
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:04 PM
ira

Hi aqua,

Thanks for the response.

You are one of those 19th century intrepid explorers.

Where to next?

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 09:42 AM

aquadigio, good for you. I admire your energy and stamina. In America we call that kind of a trip "whirlwind" because you are moving like a whilwind gathering up experiences and memories (when you sort them out).

Let us know when you do another one of these trips, alot of us I am sure are interested in reading about another type of trip.

I have to chuckle about you saying so many of sit on terraces! You may do that too when you are older, but for now keep up your whirlwinds.