Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn & Lauterbrunnen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2023, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Switzerland in late September. Among other places, we will be staying in Grendelwald and planning separate day trips to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn, We would like to see Lauterbrunnen and wondered which day might be the best to add Lauterbrunen. Any route preferences would be appreciated as well.

ThankYou for your advice.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 04:31 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
You will go right through Lauterbrunnen on your Schilthorn day - take a train from Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen, then the cable car to Grutschalp, the train to Murren and the the cable car to Schilthorn - you can then visit Lauterbrunnen before or after you head up to the Schilthorn. Trust me, it's much easier than it sounds

https://www.myswissalps.com/schilthorn/gettingthere

Last edited by Melnq8; Aug 6th, 2023 at 04:33 PM.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 02:06 PM

As Melnq8 says. And it is pretty easy, especially since (I'm pretty sure) you can buy all your tickets at the Grindelwald train station. Or the Lauterbrunnen station, or the Grutschalp cable car station. One thing to add: At the south end of the Lauterbrunnen valley there's a place called Stechelberg. It doesn't have much but it does have another cable car station that goes to Murren. You can make a nice loop by using the above to go to Schilthorn, then coming back through Murren and Stechelberg. Busses stop at the lower Stechelberg station and you can ride back to the Lauterbrunnen train station for about 2 euros. Right down the length of the valley. A full day but lots of fun.

The Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn will be one day each. How many days are you planning to be in Grindelwald?
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 02:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved staying in beautiful Grindelwald! We used it as a base to explore the region including Wengen and Murren. The one place we went that we wish we had skipped was Lauterbrunnen. It is down in valley while the other places we visited were high up in the mountains with beautiful views.
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 04:20 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Adding to MichGuy's suggestion (which is a great option and one we've done ourselves a few times)...you could also incorporate Trummelbach Falls, then walk from there back to Lauterbrunnen - a flat easy stroll of just over two miles.

I like Lauterbrunnen. Yes, it's in the valley, surrounded by steep mountain walls and waterfalls, but it offers another perspective of the area. It's not a place I'd choose to stay in the dead of winter though, as the valley location means limited winter sun. We spent several nights there on one of our many visits to the BO and rather liked it as a base.
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank your your reply, I will plan it that way. Ill check out scheduling.

Old Aug 8th, 2023, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, We will be spending only two full days arriving from Zermatt and then 2 full days. Original plan was more days but Glacier express from St Moritz to Zermatt and Bernina express added some days.
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

3 nights, coming in from Zermatt the first day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -