Jungfraujoch/Schilthorn Advice needed

We will stay at Wengen between 6/27-7/3 but the weather report shows:
6/28: Mostly Sunny
6/29: few showers
6/30: showers
7/1: partly cloudly
7/2: few showers
7/3: partly cloudly

We really want to visit both Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn.

Should we go to both place at 6/28 since that's only Sunny day during our stay or that's too much to do in one day.

If go to 2 place at one day is recommanded, which one should we go first (early morning)? [We stay at Wengen]

Also, does any one have experience with this weather report? Is it pretty accurate?
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/local/SZXX0043

Thanks
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have spent a lot of time in Wengen and on those mountains. Do not rely on a weather forecast 4 or more days ahead. Ask your hotel manager what the weather looks like for tomorrow and go by that. Usually best in the early morning. But remember that Alpine weather can change very rapidly. Jungfrau is not worth the money and time if it is socked in.

Are you a hiker? If so, I can make some recommendations.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:14 AM
cn
Original Poster

yes, hiking is what we plan to do there.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:18 AM
cn
Original Poster

In your openion,where we should go for the first sunny morning?Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:27 AM

My memory is vague, since it was all cloudy when I was there. I stayed in Muerren.

If I recall, Schilthorn is an easy cable-car ride away. Jungfraujoch is harder to get to (you need to switch to another train for the last leg). I think that the Jungfrau is more interesting and impressive, but maybe people who've been seen these places in ideal weather would know better. There's a Bond movie shot at the Schilthorn. I forget the name, but you may want to rent it to get a preview if you're interested. I found my Swiss visit a bit of a disappointment because of the weather, but well I can always visit again.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Use this name in the "search this forum" box and I think you'll get your answers... bob_brown
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Jungfrau is #1, go on first good day. Schilthorn was used in "In Her Majesty's Secret Service," I believe. The restaurant was actually built for the movie, I think.

Nice hike 1: take the Mannlichen lift then walk to Kleine Scheidegg. From there you can walk or train back to Wengen.

Nice hike 2: from Kleine Scheidegg follow the route of the Jungfrau train to the next station, then pick up the trail that goes along the base of the Eiger. Trail ends at Alpiglen, which has a nice little restaurant. At Alpiglen you can train back up to Kleine Scheidegg or down to Grindelwald. From Grindelwald you can train to Wengen, by way of Zweilutchinen.

A nice easy walk is from Grutschalp to Murren on the other side of the valley. Take the funicular from Lauterbrunnen to get to the trail. Shortly before you get to Murren, you will see a wooden hut with a bench inside dedicated to my mother, Ruth Johnson, who led hiking tours for many years.

You can get simple trail maps free at the Tourist Office or probably at your hotel. Trails are well marked so you won't need a fancy map.

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:44 PM

The Jungfrau and the Schilthorn is perhaps a bit of overkill because the view from either is outstanding.

The Jungfraujoch is fairly easy to reach. If you are in Wengen, take any train to Kleine Scheidegg and change to the Jungfraubahn. New equipment was put on last year and the ride is quite controlled.

Just be prepared for sticker shock when you buy the ticket. It is not cheap.

I think a better alternative to the Schilthorn, if you do the Jungfrau, is to take the gondola from Grindelwald to the last station on the line called First. It gives you an awesome view of the north wall of the Eiger which you cannot get at the Schilthorn because of the angle and the distance. And you get a good look at the main range of the Berner Oberland as well.

I am not trying to degrade the Schilthorn, but because of the similarity of the views, I think the view from First gives you a different perspective.

I think you will find, too, that mountains make their own weather! A weather forecast more than 48 hours old is not stable except in rare instances.

I think a prediction of hot and dry for central Nevada would be accurate for days on end, but not always.

But, if it is socked in, it is not worth the cost.