giverny/ rouen question?

Search

giverny/ rouen question?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
giverny/ rouen question?

Does Giverny really "close down" on Nov. 1. We will be in the area the second week of Nov. and don't care as much about seeing the gardens in full bloom or the museums...just seeing the town, and the general area. Will have a car...and will there be ANYTHING to see?
We'll also go on to Rouen and have you any suggestions for a hotel ..WITH EASY PARKING and an elevator,,,or perhaps a smaller town close by. We've been to the Normandy coast but might visit briefly again...it was raining terribly when there 5 yrs. ago. This short trip is just to "fill in" about 3 days close to Paris...as we will be in Paris 3 days at the beginning of the trip, then 6 days in Lisbon (where we lived in the 70's) then back to Paris area. Have been to Alsace, PRovence, Loire Valley, etc.
Any other suggestions.(been to Paris 5 times..ALWAYS interesting)
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:11 PM

The Novotel Rouen Sud should fit your requirements. It's across the river from Rouen on the edge of a large forest and has all the mod cons., like elevators, and a big parking lot.

Monet's house at Giverny will indeed close down for the off-season: unfortunate, as the house is wonderful to see even if there's not much blooming in the gardens. But you could still see the Japanese bridge and the water gardens IF you could get in. The town will still be there, of course, although some of the hotels and restaurants appear to close at the end of October.

However, you might instead visit Les Andelys, between Giverny and Rouen.

Have you been to Chantilly? The château is lovely and contains my favorite library anywhere.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:14 PM

What town are you talking about, Giverny? That's really a village and doesn't consist of much. Vernon is the nearby town where the train station is. Not much there, either.

If you do just want to drive around that area, you can, but the gardens and museums are the main attraction. There are a couple scenic mills on the river you can see. I don't think November is that attractive for countryside in many places.

Just look at www.giverny.org, they list about everything there is around there and give directions. There are a couple chateaux, but most of them close Nov 1st, also. I wouldn't go for that, anyway.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Underhill....thanks very much for some positive ideas and a nice warm message. We will probably use your suggestions.

Christina...thanks for the reply, however you are a little negative . We always find "beauty"in the countryside in November(and Oct), no matter where or what. The very best time to travel for many reasons,(WE think)..however that is just a personal opinion, and there is no right or wrong time.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:50 AM
tmh

You asked "...will there be ANYTHING to see?" you imply that there might not be since it is Nov.

Based on your posts you haven't been around long to know what a great resource she is as well as many others. Simply because you don't agree with Christina doesn't make her negative.

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

to tmh:
This is funny and I am getting a kick out of it. (a little shallow sometimes?) Anyway, yes, I have indeed been around Fodors "talk" a long time...my name just changed the other day due to a snafu in changing to my new email address. I've contributed some valuable hints for travel from what I understand....we lived 5 years overseas, and travel back to Europe once or twice a year...usually have a car, and try to see the "real" places without seeing many tourist sites...at least part of the time.!
Yes, Christina has a some valuable information lots of time...(I really don't care who or where the info comes from) , and I think we all take what we find is important to US personally from each post.
It all boils down to each one traveling the way they want to...with some good ideas from others.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Hi to mari5, tmh and christina--the tone of christina's post does seem overly harsh--negative, if you will. In this forum, it is easy to quickly type something and hit send w/o re-reading it. What was written to be simply matter-of-fact to the writer can appear almost mean to the reader. When people ask for advice, it seems that if one is going to take the time to respond, one could also try to sound pleasant--or at least neutral. When I wrote in the first time, the answers I got were so helpful--and the ironic point here is that the very same christina was one of them who was so nice and helpful!! I understand, mari5 that you are not a newcomer, but I am very appreciative that my "initiation" here came in the form of information offered in a kind-hearted tone.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:34 PM

I agree with Christina. Without the Monet gardens, Vernon is just another French village.

I will probably touch off a big fuss with this comment, but Monet's house and gardens failed to send me soaring to heights of ecstacy. Just another garden, with the flowers planted like row crops, only this one is full of people most of the time. I've seen better.

If you want a larger village with something to see, go to Fontainebleau.
It is open daily through October, but with shorter hours than in the summer. In November the schedule changes again to shorter hours.

The palace itself is very interesting and full of history. It was, after all, Napoleon's residence. The gardens are beautiful in the summer, and you can wander for a long time out there.

Fontainebleau is near the town of Melun, which is the location of Vaux le Vicomte. If you want to see a chateau that is the epitome of sophistication and accomplishment in design, architecture, and interior painting and decorating, visit Vaux. The gardens have been restored to Andre le Notre's original design as best as possible, and they are incredible when flowers are in bloom. These gardens show off landscaping genius at its best.

It is open until November 11. Driving is the easiest way to get there. If you go by train to Melun, you need a taxi to the chateau.

Some may ask who was le Notre? Well, ever hear of the gardens at Versailles?
Same designer with a bigger budget.
And perhaps he had a little more incentive at Versailles; old Louis was tetchy when in a good mood; when aggravated he was down right ugly.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:50 PM

The main thing about the gardens at Monet's house in Giverny is being able to see the inspirations for some of his paintings--especially the waterlillies. But what I love best are the Japanese wood-block prints in the house, a style that was a great influence on Monet and some of the other Impressionists. Seeing paintings by van Gogh à la Japonnaise is fascinating.