Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does Swiss Card / FlexiPass cover trips to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn or just a discount?

Search

Does Swiss Card / FlexiPass cover trips to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn or just a discount?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide between the Swiss Card and a Swiss 4 or 6 day FlexiPass. Does the Flexipass cover all the mountain transport (Schilthorn/Jungfraujoch) or is there a surcharge on those scenic/mountain trains?
Does the Swiss Card offer the 50% discount on all those same scenic/mountain trains?

Here is my itinerary:

Dec 22 Arrive Geneva, train to Lausanne (If I get the FlexiPass I would not use it on this first trip since it is short and cheap)

Dec 23 Train from Lausanne to Luzern (maybe the GoldenPass).

Dec 24 Day Trips around Luzern (Mt. Pilatus or boat on Lake)

Dec 25 In Luzern

Dec 26 Train from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen

Dec 27 Day Trip to Murren then Schilthorn

Dec 28 Day Trip to Jungfraujoch

Dec 29 Train from Lauterbrunnen to Geneva.

So I will be traveling nearly all 8 days.

Does the Swiss Card or Swiss Adult Flexipass cover the ski lift area in Murren/Schilthorn? Jungfraujoch?

I will be traveling with an adult companion. Not sure about 1st or 2nd class yet.

Thanks. Jeremy

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 09:21 AM

The flexi as far as I know yields a small discount of 25%. If you are in the Berner Oberland long, it is not a good bargain.

The Jungfraubahn Pass is a good buy, but only if you are not interested in a trip up to the top of the Schilthorn because that trip is not included at all.

The Swiss CARD is a pass I have used several times. I have done several cost comparisons and figured it was my best bet. It gives a discount of 50% off of almost all of the cable rides and mountain trains in the Lauterbrunnen-Grindelwald area. The only two rides for which the discount is 25% are short ones: the Isenfluh to Sulwald cable ride and Grindelwald to Pfingstegg. There is a short cog train ride from Mürren to a higher vista, but I don't recall the discount.
It, too, is short.

The major ones of Grindelwald - First, Schilthorn, and the Jungfraujoch are discounted 50%.

The CARD also includes a free ride from the border or arrival airport to your first night's destination. And you get a free ride out. The arrival route and the departure route need NOT be the same.

I came in from Stuttgart last summer and left via Geneva. The CARD covered all entry exit train fares within Switzerland to and from Lauterbrunnen.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Hi Jeremy,

None of the train passes are good on the ski lifts, alas.

s
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Buy a Swiss Half Fare Card for one month (99 Sfr.) or a Swiss Card. Both offer the same discounts (50% off), for additional info on the Swiss Card see Bob Brown's post.

As far as I know the Jungfraubahnenpass is only sold in summer. There is a special rail pass for hikers in winter in the Jungfrau area, but it is not a good deal for you (and doesn't cover the Jungfraujoch trip).

Will you go skiing? As swandav wrote, none of the rail passes covers ski lifts (but cable cars/gondolas/mountain railways/buses).

I.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

I've read if you have a FlexiPass it gives a 25% discount on the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn trips even if you travel on a day which is not one of your 'pass' days, but if it IS on a pass day do you get the full trip covered or are they private railways?