Notices

Jungfrau region in November?

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 10:11 AM
Dave

Jungfrau region in November?

My wife and I are going to be traveling (via train) from Paris to Venice in mid November.

We are looking at stopping in Interlaken and staying in the Jungfrau region for a few days to take in the beautiful Alps. My questions is, should we even bother at this time of year? I've read that everything is almost completely closed down.

We're only interested in relaxing a little and enjoying the scenery (don't care about nightlife, but we do need to eat). Will it likely be too cloudy/rainy/snowy to see anything? If we go, should we stay in Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, or Murren?

Thanks is advance,

Dave

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 10:22 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Dave. We just returned from Lauterbrunnen where we stayed in an apartment for a week. The name of the establishment is Chalet Horner, which has 4 apartments. The owner lives there as well. Her name is Teresa Staeger.
Despite the German sounding name, she is
English by birth and education. Whether or not she would be willing to rent out an apartment for less than 7 nights I don't know. But November is pre ski season and therefore slow. So I doubt if she would turn down the money. But I don't really know. Teresa Stäger’s number is 41 33 855 3243. The 41 is the code for Switzerland and the 33 is like our area codes.
Now, should you go there? If the weather is nice, it is great. If it rains or snows, then it ain't so great because you can't see anything.

We selected Lauterbrunnen because you can easily get from there by train to Wengen Kleine Scheidegg, and on to the Jungfraujoch, and by bus or car + lift to Murren and by car or train to Grindelwald, Interlaken, and Kandersteg. So Lauterbrunnen is a transportation hub.

We stayed in the studio apartment for less than $60 a night including the kurtaxe at the current rate of exchange. The room is fairly large by European standards, with a small kitchen, appliances, and a bath with a shower.
There are shops very close to the apartment along the one street of the town. Just remember that the meat market is closed on Wed and Sunday and just about everything except the bakery is closed on Sunday.
Because we cannot predict the weather I don't know what to say about going.
But on the good days, it is gorgeous!!!

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 12:22 PM
mustangs81

Dave, We went to the Jungfrau region last Thanksgiving. We stopped in Interlachen for provisions and stayed in Grindelwald. While not every place was open, we did find enough shops and lodging options to meet our needs. Once in Grindelwald, we took the earlybird train (better priced tickets and smaller crowds) to the Jungfraujoch. Check the TV monitor to determine the visibility before you bother purchasing your tickets. We stopped in Kleine Scheidegg on our way back to find the place mobbed with skiers because the weather was so perfect. Regardless, of the crowds, it was still wonderful. As Bob says and from what we understood, such perfect weather is not the norm for November and visibility is questionable.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 06:36 AM
Dave

Thanks a lot for the info. I think we're going to give it try despite the weather. Now my question is, should we stay at one of the transportation hubs like Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken or make the extra effort to stay in Murren, Wengen or Grindelwald? Also, should we reserve in advance or take our chances when we get there knowing that it's the low season?

Dave

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 10:04 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Dave. We selected Lauterbrunnen for two reasons: 1. It is centered in the region and had access to everything
2. The price was right.

We did NOT select Murren or Wengen because they are not accessible by car or bus. To get to Wengen, you change trains in Lauterbrunnen and chug up the hillside. To get to Murren you have two choices: 1. take the hoist up to Grutschalp from a little station just uphill from the train station. Then you take the trainette from Grutschalp to Murren. 2. Take the post bus from the train station to the lift station in Stechelberg and then ride the cable car up to Murren.

If the weather is great, you have loads of views. If the weather is bad, you have a minor journey to go someplace else.

When we were in Lauterbrunnen, it rained 5 of 7 days. So we got in our car, which was parked next to the apartment building, and took off for Bern one day and a cheese factory another day, where we stumbled into a prize cow judging contest.

Conversely, if the sun is out bright and eager, getting to either Wengen or Murren is easy. And you can take in the views.

Let me warn you about one aspect of the area: those mountain trains and various cable lifts are expensive. For example, the Jungfraujoch trip from Lauterbrunnen is about $100 per head without any discounts. Last year we purchased Swiss cards, which give half off of many
of those rides and 25% off of most of the others others.
The card, if bought in Switzerland, is about $100. If you went to both the Schilthorn and the Jungfrau, you would have recovered 75% of your $100.
The card also gives you a free train ride from the point of arrival to your destination and return. Of course if you are using a car, then it does not help much.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 11:29 AM
Clare

Dave
If you are travelling by train in Switzerland, you really need a pass. There are various ones available, depending on what sight seeing you want to do, or hiking in conjunction with the possibility of train if you get tired. There are local passes or more regional ones, the higher and more remote attractions, like the Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch have a certain % reduction, and if you travel early then you get a better deal. Most tourist offices,certainly Wengen, have the camera on the peaks, broadcast down to the TV. So you can see if it's worth going up to the top.
The weather for sure will be unpredictable, so be prepared and don't let it spoil your fun if it's not so great. And always have plan A if it's nice and plan B if it's not!
Most places will be quiet and off season, but you should still have a small choice of restaurants, where ever you choose.
You would be best to pre-book, as many places will be taking a "rest", inbetween seasons.If you just need to relax and unwind and take in the exceptional scenery, in the comfort of a home away from home,then come and see me!

Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dave:

I know it's been a while since your review for the Lauterbrunnen Apartment you rented in November 2009.

I am going to rent this apartment from www.holiday-rentals.co.uk and the apartment is a studio apartment called the Jungfrau apartment, the owner is Teresa Staeger.

I want to make sure everything checks out because I will be sending in my credit card information via fax to put down one night deposit fee of CHF 130.

Please advise, thanks!