Base in Berner Oberland

Search

Base in Berner Oberland

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base in Berner Oberland

After being so impressed with this region, I might like to use it as a future base for Europe travel. I know Bob Brown stays in Lauterbrunnen, convenient being on the rail line. What about Grindelwald? I enjoy the smaller villages in the mtns, but would places like Wengen and Murren be more expensive? Thanks...
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:29 AM
jmw

Hi Beatle. I know you're going to receive loads of expert replies, but before they do and my ignorance shows, let me say one thing. The last time I visited Grindelwald was as a daytrip from one of the little lake villages below. This was my observation on a June day: loads of hotels, shops, tourist stuff and Americans. Of course, I was one of them. If and when I decide to spend some nights in the Oberland, I think I'll go for Wengen. (I tend to change my mind as I read various threads.) J.

Old May 4th, 2003, 05:23 AM

Good morning, Beatle either Grindelwald
or Lauterbrunnen are excellent choices
because of their being at the end of
track with a 30 min return to Interlaken
Ost. Grindelwald which we have used six
times over the last 20 years, seems more
lively, however has more tourist buses
running its streets. Wengen is in a
better location and much smaller, but
does require the additioinal time to
get from Lauterbrunnen. Of all, my choice would be Murren, does require
additional time to get there from Lauterbrunnen, but I trhink its hotels
do have a better view of the Alps on
the opposite side of the valley and
also at the bottom of the cable car running up to the Piz Gloria, possible
one of the best views of the Alps... My nephew recently stayed for a time in
Murren at the HOTEL ALPENBLICK which
is a two star and were very satisified
with it. We have used the SCHWEIZERHOF
in Grindelwald because of its swimming
pool and the view of the north face of
the Eiger. HOwever there are many other
hotels in either places with excellant
views of the Berneroberland.
Richaard of Lagrange Park,m Il..
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:51 AM

My preference for Lauterbrunnen is based heavily on the availability of an apartment that is good for us. We can park at the door of the apartment, and better yet, it is near the train station, the bus stop, and the cable lift to Muerren. Shopping is just up the street where "know the drill" so to speak.

I think my staying there can be a little misleading. We are there at night mostly. Other than to shop for food and "poke around", we are elsewhere every day.

We might be in Zermatt one day and Luzern the next. Then we might be on top of the Grimsel Pass the third day and walking around Bern the 4th.

Or we might be in Grindelwald for a ride up to First, or a walk along the ledge of the valley of the lower glacier to Stieregg. Or we might be along a trail near Muerren, followed by lunch on a terrace overlooking the Jungfrau. Or we could be chugging up the side of the Maennlichen Ridge to those awesome viewpoints followed by a return to Kleine Scheidegg and the north face of the Eiger.

I think Muerren is a great place to stay. The views there are unbeatable in most of Switzerland.

You cannot really to wrong.
Our preference for Lauterbrunnen, therefore, is mostly utilitarian. It is less hectic and crowded along the main street than Grindelwald, and I prefer that simplicity. And becoming friends with the owner sure helps!!! Going there is familiar and comfortable; that is why we go back.

Old May 4th, 2003, 11:40 AM

In general Wengen is a little more expensive than Lauterbrunnen. You cannot go wrong with it.

I have stayed in Lauterbrunnen before as well. I'd prefer Wengen for its views. And it is definitely quieter.
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:52 AM

I'm not sure about the other places but Murren was my base when I was at the Oberland in 1999 - the mountain view was quite awesome IMO. If I remembered correctly, Murren has some pretty cheap &/or decent hostel-like accomodation? I stayed in a pension that cost about CHF70 per day (single w/bfast, common bath). Hope it helps with your planning!
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the helpful info. Reading the posts makes me want to blow off the rest of the school year and take off now. Maybe I should try to find a teaching job in Wengen or Murren!
Old May 4th, 2003, 05:08 PM

Well bear in mind that you need that degree to do much in the teaching game, or should I say degrees!!!!!

Do you speak fluent German?
There is quite a bit of English spoken in the valley.

Get on the web and check out Gimmelwald. There is not much there, but you can find some of the cheaper places to stay there. It is a small hamlet that is the first stop on the Luftseilbahn on the route from Stechelberg on the floor of the valley up to Muerren and the top of the Schilthorn. There are some tourist=hiker type accomodations there.