Alleviating Postripitis

Search

Alleviating Postripitis

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alleviating Postripitis

That's Post-trip-itis. I don't know about you, but there is a certain down-ish feeling I get after a big trip when I get home and reality sinks in again. Not depression per se, but kind of a low-ish feeling. I mean we're all travel junkies, are we not, so we're bound to feel a high when we're travelling.

Any tips for combating this condition? Ice cream and movies just don't seem to do it.
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Sure cures include (1) organizing your photos and memorabilia from the past trip; (2) planning your next trip and (3) spending hours obsessively on the Fodors discussion boards. Also, have you tried chocolate?
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:07 AM

I agree with anonymous (particularly #3-lol) PLUS read/watch all those books/movies set in wherever you were.
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Someone suggested that Fodor's is a way to live vicariously through those that are about to go on a trip. Perhaps you're right.
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:35 AM

What about having chocolate while discussing your next trip here on Fodors.
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Anonymous, that was almost word-for-word the answer I thought of. And now I need to find the chocolate I hid.
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:51 PM

Pack up and head out again!
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:29 PM

Thankfully, we don't feel downish at all after returning from our trips.

We enjoyed everything about our latest trip in March to the UK, the trip before that, etc. At dinner we were just talking about the walk across the field with the newborn lambs from our B&B in Betws-y-Coed to the town for dinner. Not with any regret that we aren't there but in celebration that we were.

We will get around to organizing the photos some day. In the meantime, we'll enjoy our children and grandchildren, planting the garden, reading (Bartholomew Gill currently and waiting for the next Elizabeth George and Deborah Crombie). We may even practice random acts of kindness.

We don't have another major trip planned but next week we are going to Texas to visit our son and will spend a day in Fort Worth at the Kimbell (for the Modigliani), the MOMA (Tadao Ando's latest) and the Amon Carter (for the Winslow Homer exhibition). What a day that will be!

Unfortunately, over the last few months I know I have become obsessed with this travel board and have spent excessive amounts of time here. And I am becoming testy.

We don't have another trip planned but one day we will decide it is time and just do it without agonizing over hotels, restaurants, itinerary. Maybe that comes from experience.

Sorry for the rambling.

Old May 4th, 2003, 05:33 PM

Biscuit,

For me it's organizing my photos and scrapbook bits (I do one for each trip I take), reading through my travel journal, and planning the next adventure.

I savour the one I just had and try to sort through the hundreds of possibilities for the next one.

Just an idea - I have two large maps (3'x5') on the wall in my home office. One of the States. One of the world. Each has a push pin in any location that I've visited long enough to get a feel for. Airport layovers, no matter how long, do not count! lol

My maps are surrounded by postcards that friends and family have sent me during their travels. I have all sorts of other memorabilia stuck up on the wall surrounding them... ticket stubs, concert guitar pics, mardi gras beads, bus cards, drink coasters, hotel keys... little pieces of my travels. Seeing everything I've done far reminds me of the fun I've had and how much more there is to see. Maybe this would help take the edge off your Post-trip-itis?
~ Sheryl