Trip Planning Withdrawal - anyone else?

Oct 12th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Trip Planning Withdrawal - anyone else?

I recently returned from a 9 day trip to Italy, for which I spent HOURS AND HOURS on Fodors.com forums to plan the perfect trip (which it was!). I have almost as much fun planning my trips as I have going on them, and now am sad that I'm done planning it almost as sad that it is over (with wonderful memories). Anyone else experience this withdrawal symptom??
Oct 12th, 2004, 03:15 PM

You betcha. The only cure is to start planning another trip at once.
Oct 12th, 2004, 03:17 PM

Oh yeah. Only cure is to start planning the next trip - even if it's a year away. You have to pace yourself. The only other thing that helps is to write up a fantastic trip report with lots of details and hopefully photos. That keeps me busy for a couple of months and by then I can "legitamitly" start planning the next one.
Oct 12th, 2004, 03:20 PM

I find near daily reading and posting here on Fodors (whether I have a trip coming up or not) is a good way to keep the travel bug healthy!
Oct 12th, 2004, 03:24 PM

I deal with this in the same way the first two posters do.
Oct 12th, 2004, 03:27 PM
dln

I'm with Underhill on this one!

Oct 12th, 2004, 03:35 PM

I am having SEVERE travel planning withdrawal. Underhill's approach is best!
Oct 12th, 2004, 04:00 PM

My Italy trip is in not until May but I'm already planning a few trips within the US and a big one for 2006. I haven't decided if I want to go to Europe again or try Asia since I have never been.
I'm always looking for new places to visit. It keeps me sane while waiting 7 months for me to actually take my trip.
Oct 12th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Underhill, HUZZAH, sir!!

I'm, like, 3 future trips ahead on travel planning!!
Oct 12th, 2004, 04:53 PM
P_M

I went to Switzerland in August and when I returned home, I immediately began suffering from planning withdrawls. My first means of coping was to eat all of my Swiss chocolates. Then I ran out of chocolates and the withdrawls became even worse. Then DH and I started planning a trip to the UK in May. Then I realized that May is so far away that I can't plan very much yet, so my parents and I bought an inexpensive package deal to Paris in January. This will satisfy my planning cravings for now, then when I return from that trip I can begin planning the UK trip in May.

Like so many Fodorites, you show all the signs of a travel addict. This addiciton is a good thing. You must ignore any attempts at an intervention by your friends and family to cure you of your travel addiciton. And by all means, start planning your next trip(s) now!!
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:20 PM

I enjoy the planning part so much, I once went into planning withdrawal *during* the trip.
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:21 PM

When I returned from my 3 week trip this past spring, I consoled myself for a bit by putting together my photo album. When that was done, I immediately started planning the next big 3 week European trip that is not scheduled to take place until June 2006.

Right now it is still in its infancy, but I'm driving my family nuts with all of the bits of information I provide them on a regular basis. They just don't understand my obsession with something so far away.

In my more rational moments, I concentrate on planning our week long trip to Vancouver set for next June - but it somehow lacks the epic proportions that I've attributed to the European trip.
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:22 PM

We just got back from a trip a week ago, tonight the Yankee and I sat over dinner and plotted out the next possibilities..it is the only cure I have found for Travel Withdrawal.
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:25 PM

I am having withdrawal right now. Found some cheap airfare to Paris for the weekend for $361. Not bad. Will keep you posted if I can get a 5 star for cheap too.
Oct 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

You guys are the best support system anyone could ever have!!

Underhill - I think I will take your advice and start planning. My group of friends is thinking about renting a house in the south of France next year - I guess I could look into that...

Isabel -- Had the trip report out last week, despite 101 degree temperature!!

Suze - Have been posting every day. Want to help my fellow addicts!!

MV-RD - tried Argentina? howabout Australia? Costa Rica? some of my favs (besides Europe)

P-M - I have only 2 Baci (Italian chocolates) left!! what do I do?? (and yes, I am def. a travel addict)

chepar - yes, I have yet to order my pics from Ofoto. I took 340 over a 9 day trip, so I'd better pare it down soon...

Sunshine - for the Love of God!! Go to Paris!! You can't pass that up!!

PS - we had a layover coming back from Venice of 5 hours in Paris and took a bus from CDG to the Arc de Triumph and had a lovely 2 hour lunch last week!! La de da...
Oct 12th, 2004, 06:29 PM

I have to plan--it IS as much fun as the trip. Our next one is May '05 to Sicily and I already have the tickets and all of the hotel reservations confirmed. Talk about obsessive.
Oct 12th, 2004, 06:41 PM

It also helps to plan trips for friends.
Oct 12th, 2004, 06:45 PM

Ah, Scarlett, how lucky you are to have a partner with whom you can muse about travel possibilities over dinner.
Oct 12th, 2004, 07:43 PM

I confess to a planning mania---just ask anyone who receives one of my itineraries, each day neatly divided into three "doable" blocks, one very special treat per day (theater, ballet, new film screening), one boat trip per city if possible, one museum and one shopping trip per day, sketching daily. . . some people hold these itineraries, complete with small photos, icons, legends, all hotel addresses and phone numbers, flight info, folding out like an accordion, replete with the promise of another fabulous trip, with a blank stare. They just don't understand. Evidently you all do.
Oct 12th, 2004, 09:40 PM

I'm planning trips for the next 3 years so no time for withdrawal. Getting ready for 4th trip to Europe in the last 12 months. No withdrawal symptoms, no jet lag - just one great trip after another! Life is good and getting better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO