Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Interlaken - Why does everybody say not to stay there?

Dec 19th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Brian

Hello, We are planning our trip to Switzerland in July. We are planning on 3 days in Kandersteg & then the Interlaken area for 3/4 more days. Everybody says stay in Grindlewald, Murren, Wengen or Lauterbrunnen. That Interlaken is too touristy (that's funny as we are all tourists). Anyway we are going with 2 older kids who like the rottlebahn (luge rides), swimming pools & miniature golf, as well as the scenery & beauty of the mountains & cable lifts. Interlaken seemed to have all that, but I am leary of staying there after most people seem to put it down alot. Does anyone out there like Interlaken?
If you do or don't I would appreciate some of your opinions to help us make a better decision. Maybe we will go up to the other villages. Thank you for your help.

Dec 19th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Amy

Interlaken is a nice little city, but it does have its share of "souvenir tee shirt" kind of places. The Swiss transportation system is awesome enough that I would recommend staying in a smaller town in many respects, unless your children are old enough to want to be out on their own at night.
Have you looked into Untours? They are a really family friendly way to explore Switzerland, their resource people are great, and their profits go to help develop businesses in poor areas of the world. I stayed in an Untour chalet in Reuti, Hasliberg region, on my second trip to Switzerland, and had a really great time.

Enjoy your trip, whatever works out well for you!

Dec 19th, 2002, 11:08 AM
rainyday

The way I feel about it is why stay in Interlaken when Wengen is so close? I wouldn't waste a minute anywhere else if I could go to Wengen. Interlaken is a town, Wengen is heaven. Just my opinion of course!

Dec 19th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Bob Brown

I have stayed in an apartment in Lauterbrunnen which is about 10 K or so south of Interlaken. By rail it is a 20 minute ride on the private line known as the Berner Oberlandbahn, or BOB.

If you are in the area to see the mountains, Interlaken is a few miles away from the various cable lifts and trailheads. Because I prefer to be "right there" for the 7 or so days I am there, I decided to go to Lauterbrunnen.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with Interlaken per se. I sometimes need to go there for a rental car or other reasons. I find the town pleasant enough to visit and it is large enough to have some of the services that the smaller surrounding villages do not have.
Meiringen is also a large town, or small city, depending on how you look at it. It, too, seems to be a pleasant place to visit. I really think the decision can be based on what you want to do when you get there, and what you want to see.

As far as being touristy, Grindelwald, Mürren, Wengen, and Lauterbrunnen are just about 100% tourist oriented. There is scarcely any other reason for their existence. There are a few mountain farms on the slopes of the two main valleys of that region south of Interlaken, but those four places are tourist magnets!!

I suggest you look into finding a good apartment in one place and traveling from there to your destinations. For the two of us, I find an apartment gives us more space for about half the price of a hotel.

Dec 19th, 2002, 01:26 PM
The Dickster

It's all cool man.

Dec 19th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Ursula

Brian,

I am not going to comment on Interlaken. It's not bad nor good, but very convenient and popular for conventions and as a base for travellers exploring the nearby holiday resorts in the Berner Oberland.

However, there will be a new attraction known as 'Mystery Park' as from May 24, 2003. Your kids might like it.

You can learn more about it at the following web page.
Just click the English version.

www.mysterypark.ch

Dec 20th, 2002, 12:05 AM
Lynn

Brian

We have stayed at Interlaken before because it is the jumping off point for many trips in the area. This makes it perfect for a first trip to the area and allows you to go to many places without needing to come back to Interlaken first. However when we go back we will probably pick one of the mountain villages to base ourselves in so we can enjoy the area at breakfast and in the evening having already made the orientation trip. Bob Brown is right though, it is all touristy but that is because it is all beautiful.

Dec 20th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Brian

Thanks for the info on Mystery Park. It looks interesting. I'm sure it won't be for most people but I think my kids will love it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Dec 20th, 2002, 10:34 AM
dan woodlief

I have stayed in Interlaken. Yes, it is touristy, but really the downside compared to other areas is more related to the charm of the other options than the negatives of Interlaken. Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, or Grindelwald will put you more into the heart of the mountains, and the first two will actually put you on them. I would never stay in Interlaken again with these other choices, but I doubt you would dislike staying there. Think about Grindelwald as an option, given your goals.

Dec 20th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Wayne

I think it all boils down to what you want to do while in Switzerland. If you want to use one town for a base of travel, and take trips to several other places, then Interlaken is ideal. Even Lauterbrunnen isn't too bad, but it just takes longer to go anywhere from there (except to the Jungfrau, Wengen, or Murren). Never, ever stay in Wengen and Murren if you plan many day trips, because every time you want to go, you'll have to get down off the mountain before you can depart for your destination. In Wengen and Murren you are sorta stuck staying in the village you selected, or you spend quite a bit of time every day going up and down the mountain. Just my opinion, but it's my own experience. I love visiting the places that are up in the mountains, but I wouldn't want to be stuck there with plans to go somewhere else.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:18 AM
Swilter

Try Grindlewald as a compromise.