July or August travel

Search

July or August travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July or August travel

May have an opportunity to travel to Europe in July or August. Hubby says NO WAY..summer is when locals leave Europe, what do you say?
Thanks, D
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM

That may be one of the strangest things I've ever read on a travel board.

The locals leave Europe???? What??? They don't have jobs??? Families?? Where is it that he thinks they go to?

OK, there's a fairly large migration of Europeans in August, particularly French and Italians, but they don't leave Europe!!! The vast majority of French go to other parts of France. The vast majority of Italians go to other parts of Italy.

Sorry, but this is just nonsense.
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 06:32 PM

The posting is missing a crucial context. It depends on WHERE in Europe you are going.
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Does your husband think there won't be any restaurant, hotel, museum, cafe staff? Why does he think that all Europeans leave Europe and why does he care?

I don't usually go on vacation in July or August but the few times I have, there certainly have been Europeans around.
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 06:43 PM

I don't think it makes any difference whether they're going to France or Albania or Portugal or Denmark - the fact is, it's not like the locals all skedaddle away in mid- to late summer.
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Okay sorry to misrepresent myself and thank you for helping clarify this. Personally if July and August are the only times I can travel I want to go. I want to go when I have more time and don't have to hurry back.

My husband says it's too hot, too crowded with tourist and too expensive during the summer.

What do you think?
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>My husband says it's too hot, too crowded with tourist and too expensive during the summer. </i>"

Again -MUCH depends on <u>where</u> you are talking about. Europe is a fairly LARGE place dontcha know?

Sort of like saying '<i>Don't go to the United States in the summer - its hot, crowded and all the locals are away.</i>'

(is your hubby normally a putz or is this out of character?)
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 07:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Having said that - w/ a choice, generally speaking early July <i>would</i> be better than mid August.
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

We have been to the big cities like Rome, Paris, Budapest, Venice, Florence in October. Hubby says July and August would not be the best times to go to these places.

Janisj..thank you for the early July suggestion

Any other recommendations?

Thank you, D
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM

<< My husband says it's too hot, too crowded with tourist and too expensive during the summer. >>

There are plenty of places in Europe where it's not "too hot" during the summer. I've been to Scotland in August and wore turtlenecks and I can tolerate cold weather. Try some of the northern countries if you want to avoid heat.

There are also tons of European areas where you can avoid tourists. Again, Scotland comes to mind.

If you want inexpensive northern countries try Czech Republic or Poland. Lots of good sightseeing and good food. The Poles are particularly warm and friendly to tourists and Krakow, Wroclaw, and Poznan are beautiful cities.

It sounds like your husband is not interested in traveling to Europe since he has made such wide generalizations that are completely incorrect.
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 08:26 PM

Your husband sounds like someone who makes broad generalizations without any basis. There are LOADS of places to go in Europe in July and August where it's not too hot, too crowded, and too expensive. He's got one really narrow and uninformed viewpoint.

You can go to the UK. You can go to Eastern Europe. You can actually even go to France, Spain, Italy, and other popular countries without experiencing what he claims.

Perhaps there is some other reason he doesn't want to travel to Europe, and he's just making this sh*t up.