July in Paris- Hotel vs apt- A/C?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been looking at hotels for a week's stay- Familia Hotel, Hotel Bonaparte, and similar. There's also an apt in Rue Cler area with no A/C. Would I be crazy to do that instead of the hotel room?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:16 AM

It's a gamble...last summer was not that hot, but the summer of 2003 was a scorcher. And you can have a mini heatwave even in a cold summer.

With the apartment: does it get afternoon shade or sun? Is it well ventilated? For example, an apartment that has hardwood or tile flooring, catches the breeze, and gets afternoon shade may actually be cooler than a hotel room with AC (remember, in some hotels, the management decides how much AC you get, not you.). Also, if going for an apartment without AC, I'd look for a bathroom that has a full tub, not just a shower unit. On a hot day, it's nice to sink into a cool bath.

If the apartment you're considering has wall to wall carpeting, gets afternoon sun, and has just a shower unit, then I'd say no for a summer stay.

It also depends on how sensitive you are to heat and/or how much you like summer weather. (We'd take winter snow over summer sun any day but some people prefer the opposite.)
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM

We had an apt in Paris (Le Marais) without A/C in July of 2003 and we were fine. The building was quite old with thick walls & shade. We left Paris the week before the notorious heat wave of that summer.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:43 AM
ira

Hi N,

Will your visit be ruined if your room doesn't go below 80F until 03:00?

Does the Familia have AC?

The Bonaparte does.

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:05 AM

I think it also depends on where you're from and what you're used to. I'm from the frozen tundra of the Midwest and even last September when it was like 77 I was dying in my room. Another thing to consider ...

P.S. That's F, obviously, not C!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Duh, sorry, that's sort of what BTilke just said. Oops.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

good idea; I'll check on the sun exposure of the apt etc.

Both the hotels have A/C.

Is that 80F at 3 am??
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 12:51 PM

You should also check the size of the hotel rooms vs. the apt... I once stayed in a room at the Familia that was so small, I would have died if I had to stay there a whole week.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM

It's just a guess -- I've been in Paris in July when it never went below 80F all day and night -- inside or outside. Even when it is a bit cooler at night outside, sometimes it isn't in a hotel room. I think I was there that July 2003, and did have an apt. and really sweltered.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM

The apartment would be my choice...but find the local Darty store and buy a fan if you need one.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Do those hotels have good air conditioning? I've read complaints about the Bonaparte's A/C, but don't know it personally. The best bet for good air conditioning is probably a 4* business hotel.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM

Every time I've been in Paris in the summer we've had at least one day over 90 - to me completely unbearable without AC . But - it depends on your tolerance of heat - and street noise (without AC you'll want to have your windows wide open at night).

And if an apartment I'd at least make sure it has major fans.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM

I have had some problems outside Paris with budget hotels who claimed to have AC but you couldn't hardly tell it. However, every hotel I've stayed at in Paris with AC had very good AC, and none were 4* business hotels.

For example, last summer I stayed at the 2* HOtel Langlois in the 9th arr and it had good AC. I never stay in large hotels in Paris. It is kind of hit or miss on that one, probably, and you are more likely to get bad AC in a real cheap hotel, I suppose, but I know the Langlois' is good.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:54 PM

I agree that if the apartment does not have southern or western exposure (or has drapes that block the sun), has windows for cross ventilation, and a fan, you'd probably be okay.

But, I wouldn't take the chance. For one thing, if there's a heat wave, temps probably won't drop much at night. And, getting ready in the morning in a hot room/apartment...

If it is hot in Paris, it's really nice to come "home" to a cool room/apartment after being out and about in the heat all day.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM

I am really confused by all the questions here and on the US board about whether or not AC is needed. I would think---and I certainly may be wrong--that one knows if one is a person who needs AC.

I would not consider any place w/o AC but that is me. Someone else may be different. So I think it is really hard--impossible, in fact---for one person to tell another whether or not they need AC....Just a thought.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM

I've already posted about this before, but it's clear that many people just feel things differently.

Do you feel a need for a light jacket when it's 75F? I have seen Frenchwomen who do. Do you wear a buttoned fur coat when it's 60F? I've seen Roman women who do.

I would venture to guess that women who do either of these probably wouldn't need air conditioning during a typical Paris summer.