What's Paris like in July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned from a wonderful week-long visit to Paris. We were lucky, and have very good weather for Feb. I am a teacher, and have the summers off, and am thinking of returning in July. What is Paris like in the summer? Is it very crowded and hot, or is it just as glorious as it is in the winter? Thanks in advance for any of your experiences and perspectives
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM

It will be hot (so an air conditioned hotel, apartment, or B&B is recommended), and there will be lots of tourists compared to February. I think the crowds may detract from your experience.

Why not spend a few days in Paris, then head off to the provinces -- perhaps the Brittany coast where it will be cooler?
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:52 AM

I've been to Paris several times in March and a couple of times in July and there is a noticable difference in the amount of tourists in the very touristy places. Like the main street of Ile St Louis, etc. And probably the lines are a little longer at the major sites. But I wouldn't let that stop you from going in July. Paris is a big city and it has a city feel all the time, so a few extra tourists doesn't make that big a difference. You plan your time so that you visit the more crowded areas early in the morning, etc.

Since you've been once and now know your way around a bit, conisder renting an apartment, perhaps in a less busy area than most people stay in. Try rentparis.com but there are several other agencies and lots of threads here on apartment renting.

As far as the weather - well you can't really know. One year in July I had over a week of rain with temps in the 50s! In July! The weather had been warmer in March. Another year though it was beautiful, sunny and temps in the mid 80s, cool at night. I didn't have AC and didn't need it. Unlike some of the more southern European countries where you know you'll need AC, many hotels, and especially apartments in Paris won't have it, so unless you are someone who really can't tolerate heat, I'd gamble and go without it. You can get a heat wave anywhere - I've had horrible heat in England, Switzerland, etc - and definitly no AC there.

So definitly go in July. Paris is Paris, go whenever you can.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:07 AM

I'd pretty much agree with everything Isabel says, and I've been to Paris at least five or six times in July.
The only thing I would disagree with is that I would NOT take a place without AC. I've been there once without it when it was hot and no vacation is worth going through sweaty, hot and humid nights, tossing and turning in my opinion. There are plenty of AC hotel and apartment options.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Paris Plage 2007 will run from 19 July to 19 August.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:20 AM
nbujic

go for sure !
I have been to Paris many times in July ( only once it was really hot) ; it is a big city so even with larger crowds there are many areas that are just the same ( for example 16th and some other less touristy spots).

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
heck, I'd go just to see/participate in Paris Plague as mentioned above!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:47 AM
ira

Hi B,

It will be hot. So what?

Better Paris in July than anywhere else.

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:53 AM

Oh my god, Suze. There's a Plague coming to Paris in July? Are there vaccinations available?
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:59 AM

LOL, Patrick!

I've been in Paris pretty much every July for the past 20+ years. It's hot, it's crowded, it's beautiful, it's just as seductive as any other time of year.

Go. Get a hotel with AC.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! These are the kind of responses I was thinking (and hoping)I would get! We rented an apartment this past trip, and loved it, so I am looking for an apartment again if I decide to go. The one we just rented is already booked for July. And A/C is probably a must for sleeping. I love reading people's reponses to keep them coming!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
darn it all, why can't i ever get that word correct... Plage (the word for 'beach' right? maybe i can call it Playa my spanish is better than my french).
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM

Hot, often humid and filled with tourists.

Definitely would not take a hotel without good AC - and would buy tickets for what Icould in advance.