Haut Vaucluse me

Feb 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Haut Vaucluse me

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information in the guidebooks at my library on the Haut Vaucluse. We're there for a week this June -- after a week near the Luberon -- and I'd love to know what experiences, views, restaurants, and so on you've enjoyed.

We chose a place near Malaucene because we want to hike near the Dentelles, visit some wineries/caves for Gigondas and Vacqueras, and be near to Vaison-la-Romaine for the ruins and, I suppose, the market.
Feb 5th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Do you have my 20+ page Provence itinerary - with info about that region? If not, e-mail me at [email protected].

Almost every road around mt Ventoux is lovely - the D19/D974, the D40/D72 with an up & back to Brantes, and the D5/D41 with a down & back to Brantes.

Malaucene has a decent grocery.

Explore the Baronnais - lots of scenic drives & lavender fields. See the Michellin Green Guide for suggested driving itineraries.

My wife was on a Lavoir (medieval wash house) quest last time we were there, and the best one is in Mollans.

Stu Dudley

Feb 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Try googling 'beyond the French Riviera'
for a great website with lots of info.
on the Vaucluse.

Wonderful area of France.
Feb 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Here is the "beyond" site

http://www.beyond.fr/

Stu Dudley

Feb 6th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. The e-mail is on its way, Stu; thank you very much for your willingness to help me -- and so many others -- with travel planning.

That website looks really useful, and in all my googling, I hadn't come across it. Thanks for the link.
Feb 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM

We spent a night in Malaucène a few years ago and loved it. Be sure to drive up to the top of Crestet, a few kilometers away, for spetacular views and a darling little perched medieval town.

Also the Château de Grignan was a wonderful visit. I thought the market in Vaison-la-Romaine was pretty ho-hum, but Gigondas, Vacqueyras, and les Dentelles were splendid.
Feb 6th, 2007, 05:23 PM

The area around the Dentelles is beautiful.

For a restaurant rec- Bistro D'O- Vaison La Romaine.

Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:05 AM

St. Cirq, was there any place memorable to eat in Crestet?

We'll be riding our bikes and so we'll be in cycling clothes, so nothing too fancy.

We've got a nice ride planned from Bedoin to Malaucene to Crestet to Vaison, to Seguret and back to Bedion through Malaucene.

jen