jet lag tips

Aug 11th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Merry

jet lag tips

we're taking our 1st trip abroad this fall and looking for tips on how to deal with jet lag...we leave the states at 6pm and arrive Paris at 9 am...need to be alert all day!!! no time to waste! help

Aug 11th, 2002, 10:39 AM
maria

Merry:

This has been beat to death. The majority of posters here will rec Ambien, either 5mg or 10mg, to beat jet lag.
Personally, Ambien can't be beat.

Aug 11th, 2002, 10:49 AM
janis

It is an exaggeration to say "The majority of posters here will rec Ambien". A small number have used and do recommend Ambien. This topic has had many long threads covering all aspects. Do a search and you will get more advice and opinions than you'll be able to use.

But basically - No Alcohol (or VERY little) before or during flight, eye shades, ear plugs and drink LOTS of water and other non-caffeine drinks on board. Get as much sleep as possible on the plane.

In Paris, you might take a very short nap - but definitely not more that about 45 mins. It is better to stay up, but sometimes your body will just not cooperate. Stay outside - fresh air and sunshine are the best antidotes to jet lag. No heavy sightseeing - especially stuffy museums, etc.

Eat dinner about 7 or 8 PM, take an after-dinner walk and to bed by 9:30 or 10PM Paris time.

Aug 11th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Jim

I agree with maria, and anyone who has tried ambien will also, that jet lag is no problem when you use ambien to get 4 or 5 hours of sleep en route to Europe.

I had trouble sleeping on transatlantic and ambien enables me to rest without any hangover.

Then take the advice of janis and function until bed time.

Aug 11th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Annie

Hi,
Once I read an article about jet lag, and it was saying that eating food that are high in Protein are very good, and also milk.

Aug 11th, 2002, 05:40 PM
sar

I had the same times for my flight a few weeks back. We knocked ourselves out with Gravol (2 or them) right when we got on the plane. When we arrived we did a huge hike around and were so pumped about our trip that sleep didn't even cross our minds until late in the evening. uhhhh, we then used gin and tonic to knock ourselves out (had to--it was my travel partners 25th birthday). good luck and have lots of fun on your trip!

Aug 11th, 2002, 06:39 PM
MR DOC

As an MD I don't think ambien is necessary for most people to fall asleep. In fact having a beer or glass of wine is probably more than enough for the great majority of people to relax on a plane. ambien does require a px, and many people don't even get rest with ambien.
MR DOC

Aug 11th, 2002, 08:53 PM
mare

Water Water Water Water Water!

Drink twice as much water as usual for the two days before your flight, drink water onboard and have a good pee and a good nap. On arrival, if you're REALLY toasted, take a one hour nap and then force yourself to stay up for the rest of the day. Next day you should be back on track, but continue to drink water. Dehydration is the number one reason for poor slumber, and it's hard to nourish correctly when on vacation.

Aug 11th, 2002, 08:59 PM
carol

Sunshine and some exercise outdoors (e.g. walking) upon arrival

Aug 11th, 2002, 10:22 PM
elvira

1) Relax - if you're fretting about "will the ATM work" or "how will we get to our hotel", you'll not sleep no matter what. Make sure if you're a fretter, everything is done that can be done. Arrive at the airport at least 2 1/2 hours before departure so you, once again, aren't wound tight worrying about missing your plane. Better to sit in the lounge for an hour than race to the gate.
2) Be comfortable - wear all natural fabrics (they breathe) in loose styles (for a woman, think along the lines of pretty, soft T and a broomstick skirt - see how easy it would be to curl up for a nap? Plan your apparel to get that same comfort); bring slipper socks (your feet will swell during the flight, so be sure your shoes are loose flats or wide lace-ups so when you put them back on you won't be in agony).
3) I swear by sleep tea (one of those herbal types), a Tylenol-PM, an eye mask, and ear plugs. Aftr dinner, ask for a cup of hot water, brew your tea and take the -PM, and curl up. Have a small alarm clock and set it for about 1 hour before landing. You won't be waking every 10 mins "are we there yet?". I normally have a glass of wine with my dinner; I do the same on the plane. Heck, I get saucy and even have a Grand Marnier after dinner.
4) On arrival, go slow. Don't race to be the first off the plane (why DO people stand up for 30 mins in the aisles?); be sure your landing card is filled out, you have your passport, find a bathroom...if you miss your suitcase on the baggage carousel, don't chase it. It'll be back. Organize it all before you head for the customs/immigration lines. Relax, breathe. Don't rush to leave the airport. There are always taxis; the RER leaves every 10 mins or so.
5) Check into your hotel; if it's too early, ask if you can leave your bags at the front desk. Have no-brainer things planned - l'OpenTour bus, the Bateaux Mouches, wander along the quais. This is not the day to visit the Louvre for six hours. Eat lunch at Paris lunchtime, dinner at Paris dinnertime. Stay awake until at least 8:30, 9:30 is better. If you wake up at 4am, stay in bed. You want your body to get re-trained.

Aug 24th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Tim

If you are determined to use a drug, Ambien is usually effective for 6-8 hours of sleep. Sonata is equally effective but only for about 3 hours. It may be preferable if your sleep time will be less than 6 hours. It may also be helpful to use if you've tried more natural methods and realize you only have 3 hours left and are still awake.

As far as being awake, I have used the new drug Provigil (modafinil) for staying away and I like it. Provigil keeps you alert without the side effects of caffeine or the more powerful ritalin and amphetamines. There's no shakiness or "buzz". It can be effective for about 11 hours, so don't take it too late in the day.

Taking it when you arrive can help you reset your schedule to get to bed in Europe by 10 p.m. local time.

All these will require a prescription.

Aug 24th, 2002, 02:08 PM
too

I took Ambien (5 mg) the other night and felt like I had been drugged and then hit by a ton of bricks. I'm just glad that my doctor suggested trying it out before I got on the plane for Europe next week. It's not for everyone.

Aug 24th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Millie

I would recommend something more natural. A few days before your trip try to go to sleep two or three hours earlier than you normaly do and wake up two or three earlier.

Aug 24th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Don'tFool

Doc:Unless it is a "typo", you are no Doc. It is Rx not px.

Aug 24th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Sherri

AMBIEN RULES! I could not travel abroad and function at all for serveral days ' before my doctor gave me Ambien...it's so worth it.
When you get tp Paris walk around go have lunch. See if you can check in early take a shower and a short nap (only if you have to) walk ..walk ...drink lots of h20. Have an early dinner try to get to sleep by 10pm Paris time; and you should feel great in the a. m.
have fun
viva la France

Aug 24th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Paula

We used a product called No Jet Lag. I got it at Trader Joe's, but if there's not one where you live, try a health food store. It worked for us. (Lots of water too.)

Aug 24th, 2002, 05:45 PM
xxx

Actually, I drink the equivalent of a bottle and a half of wine, have a couple after dinner drinks, watch the movie, get 2 hours sleep, grab the luggage, catch a cab to the hotel (make arrangements to check in early), shower, have sex, nap for 2 hours, sightsee, dinner at 8, to bed at 10, and we're ready to go the next morning.

Aug 24th, 2002, 06:19 PM
dd

lets get this right
Rx - means treatment
Px - means prescription
Unless Ive been doing it wrong all these years